Work car park

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for a local government dept and today an email was sent round regarding car parking at our office. We have a small car park, and people do tend to double park - but we all know whose car is whose, so they can be easily moved.

Anyway, we have now been informed that anyone who double parks will have their car clamped! There are no signs in the car park to state this - we were informed by email this lunchtime.

If this is truly the case, does anyone know where we stand in terms of the clamping? They are saying we will have to pay to have the clamp removed. Can they do this?

(Bear in mind like I said, there are no signs up and although I work for local govt, the car park is private on our property - public cannot use it).

Can our office manager legally clamp peoples cars and make them pay to have the clamp removed?

Thanks in advance for any help.

There is NO legal right for an employer to provide enough car parking spaces for its employees at their place of work.

Indeed, many Local Councils are actively encouraging Public Transport use instead, or Car Share Schemes for Private use + Car Pooling for Business use.

Are these NOT things that U could investigate as an alternative??...:?

...:)

Believe me if I could use public transport I would, unfortunately car use is an essential part of my job due to having to visit various areas of several boroughs (in fact I get an allowance to help me pay for my car its that essential!). I am not disputing the car parking spaces - if I can park somewhere else I will. Unfortunately, due to funny hours some of us have to work that is not always possible -we are in same street as commercial premises, housing estate and a school - it gets rather manic!

What I am disputing however, is that if I really can't find anywhere else to park and the reception know I am double parked, can my office manager clamp my car and make me pay to remove the clamp, if there are no signs and we are in a private car park???

Angellic x

Strictly speaking, I think that the fact that U have been informed by personal e-mail, would mean that it would be hard to prove that U DIDN'T know the situation, signs or NO signs.

If your employer NEEDS U to use your car for business use, it is going to be VERY counter productive if your car is clamped, isn't it??...;)

Perhaps this is an issue that could be taken up by your local Union Rep??

...:)

Yeah, believe me - my union rep will be hearing about this! And I do think its hilarious that I need my car, yet they want to clamp me!

I know I have been told.... I will admit that - however, not everyone who has the right to use our car park is on the computer system and there are no signs - some of our more casual staff are going to be caught up in this, with no fault of their own.

AND.... the main thing I want answered - can our office manager clamp my car herself? Does she need to have a license or something?

Thanks for your help by the way MilkTrayMan.

...can our office manager clamp my car herself? Does she need to have a license or something?
If she is bigger than U +/or her Mum can fight your Mum, I would say that YES she could...:p

But knowing Office Managers like I do, plus it being a Local Council etc, the odds are, that it has been put out to Private Tender...;)

...Thanks for your help by the way MilkTrayMan.
No probs, but there are peeps on here that may be better qualified + would possibly be able to give U a more definitive answer.

Yeah, believe me - my union rep will be hearing about this! And I do think its hilarious that I need my car, yet they want to clamp me!

I know I have been told.... I will admit that - however, not everyone who has the right to use our car park is on the computer system and there are no signs - some of our more casual staff are going to be caught up in this, with no fault of their own.

AND.... the main thing I want answered - can our office manager clamp my car herself? Does she need to have a license or something?

Thanks for your help by the way MilkTrayMan.

If money is involved then the clamper definately needs a license [sIA] otherwise it is a criminal offence apart from any civil considerations. If money is deducted from wages by the Employer this requires written permission from the Employee.

Clamping to prove a point on private land, for inconveniencing with no money being exchanged is a grey area. Some colleges do this, the caretakers doing the clamping and releasing upon request, taking their own sweet time doing this. I'm not sure it is actually legal but it nevertheless goes on.

:) Thanks for the replies... I spoke to people today and it would appear that no, the office manager has not put a clamping thing out to tender, she just has a clamp and intends to use it where necessary....:eek:

She must need a license for this, surely? If she was just doing it to be annoying then releasing the cars, it would prove a point - but its the money thing? Legally speaking, does an office manager of a local govt office have the right off her own back to clamp my car because I am not parked correctly in our office car park :confused: ?

Thanks

x

Do I need a license to clamp cars on my property?

From 28 February 2005 anyone undertaking "licensable vehicle immobilisation activities" will require a licence from the Security Industries Authority (SIA). A licensable activity is immobilising a vehicle with an immobilisation device, including a wheel clamp, on private land against a release fee.

You will need a license, for example, if:

* you are a business providing wheel clamping services, or

* you are an employee who handles the wheel clamping of your car park at work, or

* you are a private land owner who does your own wheel clamping and charges a release fee.

How to get a licence

You will need to apply for a license from the SIA. If you are front line staff, you must be over 18, pass an identity and criminal record check, and have the right SIA approved qualification. If you are non-front line staff, such as a manager or director, you will need to pass a criminal record check and an identity check. You will not need to take the training. If you are front line staff you will need to wear the license where it can be seen at all times when working.

Edexcel is the official awarding body for the new vehicle immobiliser qualification. To find out details of local training courses, contact them on 0870 240 9800 or visit http://www.edexcel.org.uk.

The license application fee for front line staff is £190 for 1 year. Non-front line staff will also need to pay £190 but the license is valid for 3 years.

Penalties

The Private Security Industry Act 2001 creates several new criminal offences. It will be an offence to provide a designated security service without a licence, or employ an unlicensed person in an activity for which a licence would be required.

The penalties for committing an offence can be either, summary conviction at a magistrate's court - the maximum penalty is six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £5,000, or, trial on indictment at the Crown Court, whereby an unlimited fine and/or five years imprisonment could be imposed.

Maybe you should show her the above, she might need to have a re-think :D

Maybe you should show her the above, she might need to have a re-think :D

or let her clamp your car first, then report her lol

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world