Weigthmans LLP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well the new year seems to have started off as the last ended.

I had a CC account passed to Weightmans LLP for collection.

I had all the normal silly threats of legal action if you dont pay up etc, all successfully fended off.

The fact that i had begun to tackle the CC company for penalty charges i am told was purely coincidental in the debt being passed on to Weightmans. :)

Weightmans decided to add to the mix, they would demand full payment of the account within 7 days or else, despite the account being disputed?

Their head of department was particularly aggressive, stating that she woudl get an attachment of earnings if i didnt pay.

It was at that point i realised that they were in fact full of @rap, and my way of dealign with these people was to change dramatically.

So to date this is what i have doen.

I have issued a complaint to the OFT, contravention fo the debt collector guidance, i have pointed out 6 items. The complaint has now been acknowledged and given a case number.

I also complained to the ICO as Weightmans have refused to comply with a SAR (and in writing).

My Claim for penalty charges has been settled or has it?

Back in very late November, i signed an agreement settling the claim, on the basis that i was to be informed in writing when monies were alocated to the account, to date no such confirmation has been received.

Weightmans apparently are not a bank so dont produce statements or have any requirement to provide details of payments on the account.

Nor are they obliged to act in anyway favourable to me they after do act for me but for their client.

What really upsets them is when they are called debt collectors, they are a firm of solicitors, so i now call them collecotrs of debt, a phrase that clealry grates them no end.

The point of this thread is simple really.

Weightmans liek many other debt collectors are full of misguided self confience and are not averse to issuing threats that clearly are not in reality an option.

I recently received a letter from them again threatening legal action action as i hadn't paid them.

So i phoned them and wrote to them, stating very clearly i had paid them and would not be making a payment within 7 days.

I very clearly told them on the basis that i would nto pay them they should; take the matter to court, i didn't pay and they didn't take me up on the offer to go to court.

Don't be intimidated by these people, they are full of boloney and more than likely not in a position to take action when they claim they are.

Do not hesitate to complain about a debt collector if they are wrong.

I am not suggesting evading debt but i am suggesting make sure they have a rightful claim and are in a position to take action when action is threatened.

Weightmans are possibly one of the better debt collectors, that doesnt make them right though.

I now have issues with Weightmans due to personal comments made by their head of department, these are being dealt with and i make no bones that i will be making life as difficult as i can for them for as long as possible.

I love the smell of banks coughing up refunds early in the morning

Hi Joe,

Just a quick note, if the debt is in dispute why are you paying them? You have no obligation under the Act to do so whilst in dispute. As for the rest of your actions I would fire off a letter stating you wish for written correspondence only and that you are logging the calls by date and time.

As for the SAR that should really have been aimed at the CC company and not the solicitors/ debt collectors. You could howver CCA Weightmans, that should p*** them off as it is a fool proof way of putting the debt into dispute and dealing with the issue up front.

Letter N I believe: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

You may also find the following intersting reading if you have not done so already: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/108467-basic-introduction-consumer-credit.html

All the best, but you sound like you know what you are doing anyway, shout if you want any help,

Penfold

Just to clarify.

Weightmans were SAR'd in order to get statemnts from them as well as any other docs/info they have on me, the CCC were SAR'd as per normal when claiming penalty charges.

They were paid as a gesture of goodwill only i was fully aware and reminded them of my goodwill.

I have now informed them as they haven't played ball i may choose to stop payment, and have indeed since my original post CCA'd them too.

I love the smell of banks coughing up refunds early in the morning