pinkpetal

Bullying at work - Please help

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3873 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi

Can anyone help me. I was longterm sick with depression from May 07 - with a phased return to work in November 2007.

Upon my return I was told that I had 7 weeks holiday to take before the end of march.

Due to xmas and other staffing problems, i requested some of my A/L at I time when I thought it would cause less problems. 4 dates were refused bu line manager no 1 which I initally thought ok no problem, until I arrived at work, where a really reliable collegue said "what are you doing here, I would have covered if they had asked me".

Spoke to my line manager no 2 ( a different person than the one who oks holiday requests). She could not understand why I was refused the time off and managed to get cover for the other three dates that I was initially refused.

At the end of the week ( 3 weeks after returning to work), I arrived at work to be verbally attacked by Line manager no 1 infront of 2 of my colleagues, because she was not happy that the A/L she had refused had been authorised.

I sent a written complaint to line manager no 1's manager who was initally very supportive and apologetic etc etc etc.....

Initially I was offered a meeting with line manager no 1 and her manager to resolve issues, I refused this option explaining that it would not be beneficial.

I am now in the process of starting formal grievance process with support of line manager no2.

It has come to light, that my A/L was refused as it was managments preference I worked from 2200h - 0000h. The management involved appears to have concocted a whole catalogue of reasons, excuses and have even in writing blamed one of my collegues for being unable to cover ( I have a writted statement from this colleague saying that she was not asked to cover, she was told that I had requested holiday and that managment prefered me to work, therefore not giving her an opportunity to say that she would be only to happy to cover.)

To complicate matters more, it has not been escalated by 2nd level managment after not being able to resolve the informal route.

The alleged bully has been told all about my complaints and has even been forwarded a personal email from me to her manager explaining my feelings on the situation. A breech of confidentiality ??? However, her manager has told me that she is not able to discuss the outcome of her meetings with the alleged bully as she is not able to disclose it to a 3rd party ????

I have not been protected from this person and am having to take annual leave so that I do not work with them - is this right ???

I have had to increase my medication due to the additional stress and upset.

Can anyone explain to me, because I cannot find a definative answer in out employees handbook : -

1) what happens if a grievance is upheld ?

2) Do I have any course for constructive dismissal if the company do not

uphold the grievance ??

3) Should I be expected to take A/L so that I am protected from the alleged bully ?

4) how come she has been informed of all my comments / thoughts, but her comments have not been disclosed to me?

5) How quickly can i expect this to be dealt with, this has been ongoing for 6 weeks due to the way it has been mismanaged so far.

6) Should I also take out a grievance against line manager no1's manager as it is due to her incompetance that we are no further forward.

Thanks

PINKPETAL

Lloyds TSB (1) Statements received

LLoyds TSB (2) Statements Received

LLoyds TSB (3) Statements received

Halifax Credit Card (1) Statements received

Halifax Credit Card (2)

SARS request Sent

RBOS (Halifax) Credit Card (3) SARS has Elapsed, on 54 days now

Barclaycard - Goodwill offer of £264.00 :mad:

any help / advice would be appreciated

PINKPETAL

Halifax Credit Card (2)

SARS request Sent

any one ??? please

PINKPETAL

Halifax Credit Card (2)

SARS request Sent

hi pinkpetal.

i have to assume that you work for a small company with no union recognition.

the only advice i would give that may help you is to look at this site

Website of the UK government : Directgov

you may find some of your answers in there.

good luck,

bartymuv.

Do you have a company handbook or grievance and bullying policies? If you do it should state what happens.

Hpefully Ell-enn will be along to help shortly....

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Hi there, sorry you've had to wait so long for a reply. I'm at work at the moment and have a meeting soon - but will be back to you this morning I promise.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear you've experienced this kind of treatment at work, it's unacceptable to say the least.

I have tired to answer your questions as follows:

1) what happens if a grievance is upheld ? If the grievance is upheld then in essence you have "won", and in simple terms the company then have to go about redressing the situation to your satisfaction. If it is not found in your favour then you would have the right of appeal.

2) Do I have any course for constructive dismissal if the company do not

uphold the grievance ?? In order to claim constructive dismissal, you would have to resign, and be able to prove that you had no other option but to take that action.

3) Should I be expected to take A/L so that I am protected from the alleged bully ? No, you should not be forced to take annual leave for this reason only. However, your employer can stipulate when you take holidays in order to meet their business needs.

4) how come she has been informed of all my comments / thoughts, but her comments have not been disclosed to me? The person whom the grievance has been brought against (the line manager) has the right to know the details of what is being brought against her. You might find the following link interesting reading. Acas - How should a grievance hearing be conducted?

5) How quickly can i expect this to be dealt with, this has been ongoing for 6 weeks due to the way it has been mismanaged so far. You should write to the manager handling the grievance indicating that there has been an unacceptable delay in responding to you. (see also information in the link above).

6) Should I also take out a grievance against line manager no1's manager as it is due to her incompetance that we are no further forward. In essence the letter you send at 5 above is a complaint or grievance in itself as you are unhappy with the way the matter has been handled.

I hope you find the above useful, please let us know if you need any further information.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

hi pinkpetal,

I have been on the receiving end of bullying and ended up off work with stress for this very reason. I had a union rep but they didn't work hard in fighting my corner I did most of the work myself!!!!!

I would suggest that any meeting you have from this point forward you take a work colleague or friend with you as this is your right and demand that an official take minutes of each meeting, and for the minutes to be issued to you after each meeting.

It seems like you have a number of issues which need to be addressed seperatley to your satisfaction, I would therefore recommend exhausting the first level of the grievance procedure otherwise you may be seen to being obstructive. If this doesn't resolve itself then go to second level and so on until your are satisfied.

In my case I raised a grievance and it was resolved approximatley 7 months down the line, my ex employer denied constuctive dismissal, I had several issues similar to yourself some upheld others not. In the end I pushed them to £7000 and refused to sign the mutua,l agreement as it denied all liability on thier behalf, they were just glad to get rid of me in the end even though I didn't want to lose my job.

My advice is, stay strong, know your principles, and stick to your guns, after all you have human rights as well as employment rights and these are to express your opinion on matters.

Keep chipping away for the results you want and don't be side tracked!!!

I lost my job but I made sure I was a thorn in their side for treating me like I was worthless!!!!! You are worth much better then the treatment you have experienced..

Stay strong & keep fighting...:cool: :cool:

Hi do you work for a large retailer - your S&M by any chance?:mad:

hi, no, I work for local authority. They seem to be trying to sort things out, interviews of everyone are currently being carried out, so, will wait and see how this first stage pans out. I am prepared to go all the way if I dont get adequate results.

I have had to increase my medication due to the stress this is causing. Thank you all for your comments / information, it has been really helpful

PINKPETAL

Halifax Credit Card (2)

SARS request Sent

Local authorities are doing a restructuring at the minute. They did this in the 80's and late 90's, very stressful time for people who had to be interview for the jobs that they had being doing for maybe 10 years or so. you will obviously be offered an alternative position as they cannot sack you being pregnant, hopefully you will get the position that you want and happy to be in.

Best of luck

Hi

I have found a website or a forum really that is looks new and is all bout bullying in the workplace.

I am going to register as I have been bullied at work for years.

Workplace Bullies

Looks like it could be a good forum.