Landlord Not Repairing The Central Heating.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK EVRY1, I need some advice by 3pm - I have to leave home to go to my daughters house. The landlord is attending at 4pm to carry out an inspection - but I dont think that is the real reason.

STORY- My daughter moved into a property at the beginning of October 07 - she has paid the deposit and a months rent in advance. Private landlord as you may have guessed. Five weeks ago the central heating packed up and she reported it to the landlord. It has still not been fixed. As the heating had packed in, my daughter slept on the sofa in the living room and had the gas fire on. Ac ouple of days later an engineer from BG attended to carry out the usual tests. He condemned the gas fire . Upshot is no heating whatsoever. A week after the heating packed in, my daughter paid her rent as usual, but as the heating is still not workingshe has refused to pay the current months rent. The landlord has told her on two occasions that an engineers is attending the property to carry out repairs. But he failed to attend, she waited in all day; but no show. There have been other occassions that the landlord states that an engineer has attended but got no reply. My daughter was not at home, but at work and the landlord did not advise her that anyone was attending. But we do not believe the landlord sent anyone as he knew my daughter would be at work and we think he is just saying that he sent someone.

Questions :-

Is she entitled to withold her rent until the heang is repaired

Who should we threaten the landlord with, Health and Safety etc for no heating.

:-x

No she is not entitled to withhold the rent until it is repaired. However, she can carry out the work and deduct the cost from the rent. Get three quotes, write to the landlord stating the middle quote price, and that he has 48 hours to resolve the issue otherwise you will perform the work and deduct from the rent. Then do so.

Bear in mind that the currently withheld rent is still technically owed.

If you want to go further with it, local Environmental Health and/or your local tenancy officer would be the next way to go.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

• 1 year later...