• Tweets

• No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Worrying letter from Robinson & Way

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5938 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if anyone could give me any advice as My hubby has received a letter from Robinson and Way saying that they are going to come around to the house to secure arrangements for payment on a debt he owes. And they intend to recover the full sum. They say this visit will be in 7 to 10 days letter was dated 6 Jan we received it 9th Jan.

The worst bit is my husband is already paying Buchanan Clark and Wells for this debt, regularly each month. My husband phoned BCW up on the 9th when he received Robinson and way letter to find out what was going on and he was told that he was to continue paying them and to ignore Robinson and way letter but contact them again if we hear from Robinson and way. BCW said that they didn't know why Robinson and Way are doing this.

I'm really worried about this as i will be alone if they do call except for dogs.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

Candlelight

Please don't worry. These people have no authority to do anything to you, and it is very unlikely they will visit you anyway. Their letters are designed to scare.

Could you please clarify if your husband has a CCJ on this debt?

More people will be along tomorow to help you in more depth.

Best wishes

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

firstly stay off the phone.........

NEVER discuss anything with a DCA if it is not in black & white.

as advised DCA's have NO POWERS, they are NOT bailliffs.

it puzzles me why another DCa has become involved/

is this a recent debt referred to them

or an old 'sold' debt that is being chased for DCA profit.

more info please.

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If I wrote to you & told you that I would be visiting within 7 -10 days in order to make arrangements to pay an alleged debt.......would you take me seriously?............NO!..........I thought not :)

BTW..welcome to CAG (the forum where people actually gain the knowledge to regain control).

Hi Thank You for your replies

gizmo111 as far as we are aware no ccj

dx100uk the debt is a 9 years old when my husband first got into debt he offered the company repayments but they wouldn't communicate but 2 years later we had a letter form Robinson & way saying that they had the debt we offered payment to them of instalments but after us paying them several instalments they weren't interested anymore and the debt was bought by Laidlaw Bruce and partners which is part of the BCW group there letter to us stated that bcw group plc now holds legal title to the debt. Then Buchanan clark and wells part of bcw group again have been dealing with the debt ever since they accepted the payments that we could afford and my husband has been paying them regularly and never had a problem with them.

We can't understand why Robinson and Way have wrote to us now saying they are going to visit us the last communication we had with them was in 2000. BCW also said that they don't know why. Could it be they were lying?

Hope you can understand all that

Candlelight

If I wrote to you & told you that I would be visiting within 7 -10 days in order to make arrangements to pay an alleged debt.......would you take me seriously?............NO!..........I thought not :)

BTW..welcome to CAG (the forum where people actually gain the knowledge to regain control).

Thank You and no I wouldn't take you seriously :)

Candlelight

gizmo111 Stopped paying debt to robinson and way in 2000 as they stopped sending payment slips and when we asked for more never got any replies.

Debt was bought by Laidlaw Bruce and Partners on behalf of BCW group plc there letter to us says that they have legal title to debt. This debt together with all rights and interests was assigned by deed of contract dated 25th June 2003.

Buchanan clark and wells then demanded full payment in December 03 we wrote saying we couldn't afford to but accepted our payment offer on the 25th February 2004 and we have been paying it to them ever since

make them aktiv runners - yes you are correct Robinson and Way in 2000 then 2003 passed to bcw group now robinson and way are trying again.

In my point of view BCW are the ones who own it.

We really don't know why robinson & way are writing to us again telling us they are going to visit and so bcw say they don't either

Candlelight

If the debt was a loan or credit card I strongly suggest that you send a CCA request to BCW and Robinson Way to establish if any of them actually have the right to collect any debt.

Quite often debts of this age are devoid of the correct paperwork and legally un enforceable.

If any of them don't send back the correct paperwork within a short period you can legaly stop paying anything to them.

I had eight debts for loans and credit cards after I sent CCA's to all of them I now don't pay a penny.

I only discovered this after paying for 9 years and consider that the outstanding amounts are mostly illegal charges that were added by the companieas and the DCA's.

There is a template letter for CCA requests in the templates section letter N is the one

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

You'll find it here.

You must send a £1 postal order with each of them and keep the counterfoil or reciept, send it by recorded delivery. Make sure you keep all correspondence and get back when they reply.

They usually only have crappy application forms or microfiche copies, scan and post if they send anything making sure that personal details are covered up.

Good Luck

Cas

Hi Candlelight, it sounds as though RW are just chancing their luck, especially if BCW had legal title to the debt and don't seem to know anything about that changing. If you look through some other threads I'm sure you'll find some guidance on how to get RW to prove they should be trying to collect it. Am sure there will be others along who have more knowledge about these things . Good luck.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collectors-debt-collection/71386-diskmandave-robinson-way-co.html?highlight=Robinson+Way

Have a read at that. It will take a while but is informative and at times hilarious. It will give you an idea of what to expect from Robinson Way and how to deal with them.

Thank You Robdblynd

I've had a good read it is very informative and funny Thanks for the link.

I've also looked at other threads which have been helpful getting information about them.

A few questions

Should We Ignore this letter from them and hope that they don't come around or contact us again. Ignoring them is what BCW told us to do,also as far as we are concerned bcw group own the debt and we have a letter stating that.

But Robinson and way say on there letter to us dating the 6th January that the debt has been passed to them and they are going to send collectors around. So does this mean debt is now there's?

BCW said on the 9th January that we are to keep paying them and ignore robinson and way.

Sorry if sound like I'm going over everything again.

Or should we send a letter asking them to prove that they own debt now as BCW say that they own debt.

I personally prefer not to contact them.

But advice would be helpful as to how to proceed

Well you do need to know who you are supposed to be paying (assuming you are sure it is the same debt).

I agree, phone calls are no good as they provide no real evidence. Always deal with these people in writing only.

It is against OFT guidelines for 2 DCA's to be requesting payment at the same time. You can write to the OFT and ask them to investigate onyour behalf. Equally you can contact ConsumerDirect (internet site which is a central Trading Standards site) who will also deal with on your behalf.

You can send a CCA request to both, and/or, a letter stating who else is claiming to collect on the debt. The letter should be addressed as a formal complaint, include no actual signature and be sent by at least recorded delivery.

Robbinson Way are part of London Scottish Bank. The latter does have local agents collecting high interest rate loans so there is more chance of this company actually calling. Remember though, that you do not have to answer the door, talk etc. There is a letter you can use to insist they do not call on you.

Candlight

Can you tell us what the debt is for, if its not a loan or C/C as its possible that it does not fall under the remit of the CCA.

Thanks.

Tip us a wink on my scales if you think I may have helped at all;)

Just to clarify - the only people that Robinson Way have available to call will be self-employed collectors working for London Scottish Bank. They have no legal rights to do anything other than ask if you would like to make a payment - anything else they may say will probably be wrong and most likely be illegal.

Generally, if you refuse to make a payment they will go away and not bother you again. It serves no purpose whatsoever for them to spend any more time at your property as they earn their money by making collections - not taking part in pointless arguments.

We are having exactly the same problem with both bcw and thames credit, who apparently are sister companys, we started to pay bcw for a burtons card from 1998 then thames said they had took over the debt and were demanding double the amount they told me to stop paying bcw and to pay them, so instead of sending bcw this months cheque ive sent them and thames a recorded letter for the cca they cant both own the same debt

Tau - The debt is for a contract phone my husband used to have with Vodafone.

make them aktiv runners - It is for exactly the same debt. Also thank you for the other information.

alanfromderby - Thank You. I don't particularly want to discuss it with one of there collectors anyway so I think I won't answer the door.

One query though would they be allowed to discuss it with me as it is my husbands debt not mine? and he will be at work if they call in daytime.

iitch_76 - Sorry to hear you are having the same problems but at least it goes to show that we are not on our own and it happens to other people too. Good luck

In my mind BCW group are the ones with legal title to debt especially as we have a letter saying that from them. But I really am worried about this.

I would like to write a letter to BCW asking them to clarify who we are meant to be paying.

The only thing we have from Robinson & way is recent letter saying that debt has been passed to them. But BCW say it has not.

If we told Robinson and Way by letter that we are paying the same debt to BCW and will continue to pay bcw until such notice from BCW, and point out that in no uncertain terms we will not pay both of them for the same debt, do you think robinson & way will leave us alone or will they continue to pursue us?

I really doubt that the person would want to discuss the issue anyway - but certainly if the account holder is not home then he cannot even say what the issue is that he has called about.

It may also be worth ringing Trading Standards, as it is a clear breach of the OFT guidelines for multiple DCA's to be involved. Clearly also, one of these companies is acting illegally, in that they have no legal right to be chasing the debt.

If nothing else, they should be able to establish who exactly does own the debt.

Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

use this link to report to trading syandards, i found yhis in the forums and saved it for when or if i hear from my cca requests, i sent for them on friday so i just have to wait to hear from them now, no phone calls yet, i can't wait for a responce

i feel a bit more confident now ive read the forums;)