DVLA has lost my license!

FlexiWing
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3607 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite so. For an address change, all that is required is for the new address to be completed on the paper counterpart and both parts sent to DVLA.

Only if the address change also requires a transfer from paper licence to first photocard is it necessary to provide identity documents.

Im still confused why they want wage slips! Is it the DVLA's way of deciding who to screw over???? earn over a certain limit and they will knock you back to provisional to make some more money out of you!!:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This statement is just nonsense.

You do not need a driving licence to purchase a car.

You most certainly do!!

My daughter bought a brand new car last week and had to produce her licence, it was to prove her ID and address

edited

Edited by jonni2bad
Don't make things personal...

Pat is right, it is not necessary to produce a driving licence to buy a car. Dealers will ask for a driving licence as it is a form of ID (at least the photocards are), but other ID would be acceptable.

edited

Edited by jonni2bad

My wife bought a car from a dealer but did nto have to produce any documentation on that occasion or on previous occasions as the finance was in my name. Driving licence is not a necessity just an option. If you produce a passport and council bills with your address, that would be fine. Considering that when i first purchased a car I had an overseas driving licence anyway so passport produced etc.

Anyway to get back to the orignal post, when we arrived here in 1993 soon afterwards when we moved into rented property. At the time we were still legally allowed to sdrive on our overseas licences. We then moved into a more permanent place and sent off all the documentation to revert to a British driving licence and also notiying them of oujr change of address. Weeks went by and nothing. Everytime we contacted the DVLA, it was being processed. eventually oen day they said that it had been posted out to us. Waited and after several days phone the plonkers again onlt to be told that they had sent it to our old address. On collecting it, the new tenant told us that they had received it about 3 weeks previous. On checking the licence the new address was on it although they posted it to the old address.

Seems this has been an ongoing thing for a numebr of years.

Pat is right, it is not necessary to produce a driving licence to buy a car. Dealers will ask for a driving licence as it is a form of ID (at least the photocards are), but other ID would be acceptable.

edited

My daughter was asked for her licence to prove who she was and where she lived as she was buying a brand new car from a dealership on finance

I have never bought a brand new car but wasnt asked for my licence other than for ID purposes at any time

Not everyone has a passport, but most drivers have a licence

callumsgran you are simply confusing the fact that she MAY have been asked to show her driving license as proof of ID/address rather than the SHE MUST produce her driving license to buy the car.

The driving license is a sensible and convenient proof of ID and, as you say, as she was buying a car it seems a reasonable proof of ID for the dealership to ask for.

callumsgran you are simply confusing the fact that she MAY have been asked to show her driving license as proof of ID/address rather than the SHE MUST produce her driving license to buy the car.

The driving license is a sensible and convenient proof of ID and, as you say, as she was buying a car it seems a reasonable proof of ID for the dealership to ask for.

Fair comment, i just dont like the way some people on this thread are talking to others like they are children

We're not all experts on everything, if we were we wouldnt need the forum would we?

My only experience of this is that when I bought a car 5 years ago, the dealer didn't ask to see my licence, and I didn't produce it, I did have a passport and a copy of child benefit forms and a utility bill...it seems to vary amongst dealers.

• 2 weeks later...

10years ago, my husband bought a new motorbike. He was asked to produce a Drivers Licence but he argued that is was being purchased in a company name and the company didn't hold a drivers licence. It took some doing, but they finally sold it without a licence being produced.

• 1 month later...

You are only being asked for your Driving Licence as you are buying the car on finance. I bought a brand new car from a dealer in cash 8 months ago, no Driving Licence required, just the £50 notes

It is only required for the finance agreement, as are most financial loan applications.

Edited by Isiris

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am going thorough some thing simula I pasted my test in Aug 1999 and sent off all my paperwork but in Dec 99 I was told by my Doctor that it would be unsafe to drive until I had had an opperation done on my ankle which I informed DVLA about with a covering letter from the doctor enclosed. After about 14 months I was advised by my GP that I could now drive again so I wrote to DVLA and told them this and asked for my License to now be sent to my new address. After hearing nothing from them I called and was told it was in the system this I was told well over 30 times. I then married and wrote and told them NOTHING happened so called them again and hey ho NOTHING since this I was pulled over by the police in 2005 and was advised by the officer that I was NOT a full License holder and it was still in my maiden name and address I moved form 5 years ago so I go to court and the court throws it out I am told to contact DVLA, DVLA tell me to contact DSA, DSA tell me to contact DVLA so where do I go It is now near on 10 years since I passed my test and I drive my three children around and need my car for work DVLA just pass the buck DSA can not confirm because I passed my test over two years ago so I can;t ever ask them HELP!!!!!!!!:eek:

Start with a SAR to DVLA to find out what they are holding on you. Provide them with both new/old addresses; new/old names and driver number if you know it.

See here for the address. Note that you do not need to give them a reason for the request - you are entitled in law s.7 of DPA to the information that they hold. In asking for a reason they are, as usual, exceeding their lawful authority.

• 2 years later...

My father has the same problem, He passed his test in 1974 for both motorcycles and cars. This gave him at the time categories A,C,D,E. Never had a problem at all.

He was involved in a crash some 8 years ago now in which his transit was wrote off. At the time his wallet was in the van and the contents went everywhere. When the van was recovered to our place, he recovered 80% of the wallet contents but his licence went awol. Never bother with it till I asked him to insure a trike for me. The insurance company asked for copies of mine and his licences so he applied for a new photo licence which came.

When it finally came, he had categories A, C1,D1 and E but the problem is the DVLA transposed the old 1974 categories to the new european categories. We quizzed the DVLA about this and they said the licence was correct. They wouldn't accept the had made a mistake. over the next few months we sent letter after letter and finally got to speak to the cheif exec of the DVLA who stated in a letter. " The DVLA do not make mistakes........... They occasional make erroneous errors"

We have provided everything thing they requested to back up his licence entitlement, but every time they move the goalposts. We even have the nottinghamshire police backing us up and the DVLA do not believe them.

I do know that the DVLA employ a lot of agency workers who don't give a crap as soon as an old licence is renewed/replaced, they destroy the old ones. Even if you keep a copy, they still don't believe their own information

I would post the link from a police 999 forum i posted in years ago, But I can't at the moment

My husband applied for a replacement licence as he lost his sometime ago. He passed his test in 1989 and took his hgv1 a few years later. He has moved around a fair bit and does have a common surname but they cant find his driving record. They sent him a d146 form on which he put his disqualification on and he sent it in and they still cant find it. His job as a driver is on the line.

What i really dont understand is that my husband cant remember his driver number but in the last few driving jobs he has had the company have called dvla giving his details and they have told them all they need to know. So how is it they now cant find his record???!!! He has been to previous company worked for and they said dvla wont issue them with his driver number they just confirm he has the licence required for the job.

Has anybody actually had their licence found?

• 1 month later...

Just to bring this post up to date.Passed my driving test way back in the early seventies,passed a H class test in 1978 as i was serving in the armed forces and was required to drive tracked vehicles in Germany after being there a few years i was lucky enough to get the chance to sit my HGV class 2 and passed.

Having being stopped by the police in May 2009 as my insurance company had concelled my policy and never informed me ( they are seemily not required to inform you if they cancel your policy), was also informed by the police that i was a unlicensed driver.Have been in touch with dvla on numerious occasions and had my local mp get in touch with them as well,every time i get an answer back it is always different the MP's ones are the same.Was basically told that i was to reapply for a provisional and would have to resit my test even though i drove for nearly 12 years for my country,how sick do i feel.

• 6 months later...
My husband applied for a replacement licence as he lost his sometime ago. He passed his test in 1989 and took his hgv1 a few years later. He has moved around a fair bit and does have a common surname but they cant find his driving record. They sent him a d146 form on which he put his disqualification on and he sent it in and they still cant find it. His job as a driver is on the line.

What i really dont understand is that my husband cant remember his driver number but in the last few driving jobs he has had the company have called dvla giving his details and they have told them all they need to know. So how is it they now cant find his record???!!! He has been to previous company worked for and they said dvla wont issue them with his driver number they just confirm he has the licence required for the job.

Has anybody actually had their licence found?

well we have had great news. the case was in court today for my husband who was told dvla had no record of him passing his test or holding a licence.

due to him being previously disqualified some years back the court was not happy with the two sides differing so much. they took a break and contacted the pnc people because his licence number would be on there from him being disqual.

low and behold there was his driver number proof that he was holding a full uk and hgv licence of which since my last post he has had to retake his test and lost his job cause of all this. dvla were called by the court to check the licence and there it was.

time to claim back everything they cost us over the last 7 mths for their total incompetance.

good luck to the rest of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am lucky there is a branch locally I can go into to deal with for DVLA matters As a matter of security I scan in or photo copied my license from my provisional some xxxxx years ago to my current one and I would suggest that every body should keep a copy of these and passports some where safe. I keep a copy at work as well as burned to cd. I may be paranoid but I copy scan any document thats important. I know origonals are required but its much more difficult for dvla to say you never had one if you can print off or produce a copy.

• 1 month later...

Sent my licence away to reinstate my HGV1 as I have been away from the industry since 2004, my medical expired so my HGV was removed when I recieved a new licence. I now have a new passed medial certificate, went to reinstate my HGV and DVLA has no record of me ever passing my HGV.I am now out of work untill this matter is resulved. Have applied to Army for my records and it showes I passed my HGV test in 1980.Bad news DVLA which is part of our goverment can not keep records.Hope this is OK. If I could I would sue for loss of earnings. Let you all know how I get on.

We very rarely (in fact never) have heard of anyone winning one of these cases against the DVLA who, of course, are NEVER wrong! It will be really good if, with the help of the army records you can get them to reinstate your HGV>

Please keep us up to date