Are we being ripped off?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

I am new to the forum and have joined because of a number of issues, one of them being bank charges, i managed to claim back nearly £3000 from snatchwest and since then thay have adopted a very hostile approach to my account but that's another story!

I live on a boat in Devon with my girlfriend and we rent a pontoon space from the local harbour authority, this year they have introduced metered electricity posts for which we have to pay for. We received a letter from them stating that the unit charge was 12pence and a service charge of £4 per month. This seems pretty high to me, are they legally allowed to charge this much, is there any way i can check that this is legal or complain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The amount you can be charged was subject to the Electricity Act 1989 s.44

You should contact Ofgem in your area to find out the current charges. Since 2003, landlords (including houseboats) are not allowed to charge more than the electricity costs them.

I would check to see who the contract is with. The harbour authority may have signed up with one company (and all of you with it) but there should be nothing stopping you and other residents switching supplier.

12p per unit sounds steep to me. I think mine from memory is less than 10p and thats including VAT.

Regards,

Paul.