Sony KDFE50A12u TV

587td
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4817 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

To everyone, this is my first post so I hope someone can help with my problem.

Here Goes:

I purchased my Sony KDFE50A12U TV online from Dixons for £1218.95 on the 15th. May 2006. Since which I have been very pleased and proud to own what I thought to be a great piece of kit.

However about the end of November 2007 I noticed that the picture started to have what I can only describe as purple / blue blobs around the middle of the screen.

I got in touch with Dixons and they just didnt want to know, so I have had an independent engineers report £58.75 that it has a faulty Light Engine that will cost around £720 plus vat to repair.

Thats my poblem has any one got any advice on what to do now for the best.

Contact Currys again and ask quote to them s. 14 of Sale of Goods Act (products should last reasonable length of time). request that they provide a repair or replacementplus costs of the report, as they had rejected your claim initially. If they refuse, write a letter allowing 14 days for response, then a final letter before action. Your claim will be for the cost of repair / replacement (or the repair / replacement itself) plus your costs. SoGA requires that you prove the fault after 6 months from purchase, You have done that - it is now down to them to refute this.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I received a letter back from Dixons to day.

Dear Mr -------

Thank you for your letter dated 25th February 2008.

I was concerned to learn about the problems you have experienced with your Sony HDFE50A.

I have spoken to the engineer from WTV and he has advised that although TV has a fault with the optical block assembly, the fault is neither common nor inherant. For this reason we are unable to help you with the cost of repairing this item. As the problem has not been proved to be caused by a manufacturing defect we cannot refund the cost for the engineer visit either.

Although this is not the reply you were hoping for I trust this clarifies the company`s position on this matter.

Yours sincerly.

Dixons Web Sales

What is the best thing to do now as I dont seem to be making any headway with Dixons ?

l

Well a couple of things.

You could first of all ask how the hell it could have happened during normal usage. Given that you have not misused or mistreated it, then this problem should not occur if the item is of reasonable qualiy, fit for purpose etc.

You could ask them to provide a copy of the report (that may involve a SAR which I know little of) to see what there findings are.

You could also get your own report to disprove what they have said, or at least provide a counterpoint to their argument. However, this would be their report against yours in a court.

Your third option is to accept what they are saying.

I personally would try one or two first, and then try number three roundabout a few million millenia after hell has frozen over.

The report from WTV that Dixons are referring to is in fact the engineers report that I paid for and sent to them to substanciate my case,

They are saying that they ( Dixons ) have spoken to them ( WTV ) and are now trying to use this against me.

this TV has quite a few problems which relate to the optical block, I have the same TV and used to get a flickering picture and what I can only describe as a poorly focused image when ever I used my xbox 360. I brought my TV from Makro for £1100 and it was repaired 2 weeks outside the warranty due to a fault in the optical block, the flickering disappeared and so did the problems with my xbox 360. In the meantime check AVForums Home and have a look in the rear projection section of the forum for the KDFE-50A12U it makes interesting reading

I presume that the report states the cause. Does this tally what Curry's have said to you? Also use the above infrormation (haven't seen it myself) if it supports you in your claim or goes against what Curry's have said.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

this 'optical block' issue seems to be one the Sony is fully aware of.

In fact, in the US and Canada they have acknowledged the issue:

'''It has come to our attention that a limited number of Grand WEGA rear projection televisions (models listed above), after a period of time, exhibit blue dot or star pattern on the screen.''

''Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for his/her parts and labor expenses.''

Sony eSupport - KDF-55WF655 - News & Alerts

Sony eSupport - Electronics - News & Alerts

Sony optical block issues with KDF-55E2000??? - CNET Home audio & video Forums

(The product codes are irrelevent! If you are suffering any of these problems, then clearly, this is the issue.)

This is 'exactly' the problem I have with my KF50SX300U. But of course Sony will not acknowledge that it is the same 'optical block' issue as in the US/Canada.

According to the engineer I spoke with, the 'optical block' is a prism like object the lamp shines in to to give the picture.

I don't have a clue about tvs, but it's inconceivable to me, that Sony have to manufacture different optical block units for each model of LCD tv - especially given this description of what an optical block is (all manufactures try to 'standardise' as much as possible across models. An 'optical block', for example, is clearly not 'region dependent'. Software, certain region centric hardware components, model options etc. might change, but things like screens, cases, lamps - and i'm guessing - optical blocks - are not region dependent).

Sony are doing what ALL manufacturers do in the event of product defects; short of a gun put to their head they will NEVER acknowledge it is their fault - let alone spend money to fix the problem or issue a recall (short of statutory requirements around standard 'warrenty').

In the US of course, threats of 'class action suits' and other litigation puts a different complextion on things for Sony. Plus the size of the US market means Sony has to play the game differently. But you can bet your house, that if it has got to the point that Sony is publicly acknowledging the issue and offering to pay all associated costs to fix it (and outside of warrenties) that they know a) they're liable and b) a hell of a lot of complaints were forthcoming...

In my experiance, it doesn't matter what Sony product you buy, if it goes wrong, you're on your own! Their custom service is universally terrible!

Anyway, i'll aim to report back on how my issue goes - perhaps it will prove useful to other folks here...

• 2 years later...

I seem to be getting the same problem with my KDF A50E12U. Did anything happen about this. It strikes me that if you pursue Trading Standards under the Sale of Goods Act, they will end up prosecuting if compliance isn't met.

Robert

Hi

I received a letter back from Dixons to day.

Dear Mr -------

Thank you for your letter dated 25th February 2008.

I was concerned to learn about the problems you have experienced with your Sony HDFE50A.

I have spoken to the engineer from WTV and he has advised that although TV has a fault with the optical block assembly, the fault is neither common nor inherant. For this reason we are unable to help you with the cost of repairing this item. As the problem has not been proved to be caused by a manufacturing defect we cannot refund the cost for the engineer visit either.

Although this is not the reply you were hoping for I trust this clarifies the company`s position on this matter.

Yours sincerly.

Dixons Web Sales

What is the best thing to do now as I dont seem to be making any headway with Dixons ?

l

How foolish of Dixons to send you this e-mail. In a small claims court you would win without even breaking a sweat. It sounds like you need to go above to peon that sent you this. Try contacting the Managing Director or the people that deal with issues on his behalf. Enclose information regarding the above problems with the optical block and the response you got from the peon. It just needs to be dealt with the right person as I have said earlier you would always win if it went to court.

I PM'd 587 but got no answer. I do wonder how he got on.

Anyway, I'm going to pursue this on my own and will report back how it goes.

I've been involved in a few things like this before, citing Sales Goods Act. I also will go to Small Claims Court myself anyway, if I don't get a reasonable solution offered. Trading Standards are usually very helpful on this stuff. As soon as I find my invoice, I'll begin with a call and and email. Watch this space.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, im new on here too, have also got one of these dodgy Sony TV's. Bought it from Comet back in 2006, has gone yellow in last few weeks. Tried the complaints route into Comet with very little success. Also tried Sony who suggest there is no inherent fault with this set. I have now advised them both that I will be trying the Small Claims court route (as soon as i have figured out what i need to do)

has anyone had any success in getting repairs / refunds via retailer or Sony?

Thanks.

• 5 months later...