Lowell portfolio and barclaycard

homerref
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there an bit of advice would be really helpful here please

Lowell portfolio and RED debt collection have both written to me in the past 4 days concerning and old debt with Barclaycard from 1999

This is a debt that i beleived was paid off in february 1999 under the remit of a CCJ granted in 1996

I have had no contact with either Barclaycard ,their appointed solicitors or any court official since that final payment in 1999.

Consequently i find myself wondering if i am going to be liable for a debt which i believe to be satisfied .

I have contacted Barclaycard who would only say that my file is one of thousands that have been purchased by Lowell and that matter is nothing to do with them and cannot help me .

I have read on the net and this site about statute barred but i am not sure if this applies to this case even though there is no record of this CCJ on my recent credit reports

any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

homerref

In this case I would send a simple "prove it" letter.

The onus is on RED debt to prove that the debt is valid and owing.

It seem RED/Lowells have recently "purchased" a whole raft of extremely old debts.

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

As and when they respond keep us updated and we'll help.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

• 2 months later...

apologies for a lack of any update but i dint want to tempt fate

as advised i sent a standard letter to lowell portfolio and have not had any further communications from lowell or red debt collections

fingers crossed

and thanks for your help and advice

homerref

Thanks for update, Homerref.

Your thread's here in BC forum now - probably it was in Debt forum before? May have been moved in big Debt Forum reschuffle a few weeks back.

No worries - if they start to hassle you again, shout and we'll help.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)