Business water rates

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I own a small business. It's a toy shop in a small town.

I am a sole trader, the only person in the shop is me, 8 hours a day 5 days a week and half a day on Saturday.

My rateable water bill came in this year at just over £500. I have one tap and a toilet so that seemed a little excessive. I asked for a meter to be fitted but the surveyor told me that they couldn't fit a meter without knocking out the internal walls of my shop. He did suggest that I went onto an assessment based charge.

Severn Trent Water have rung me today to advise me that I will be charged for 15000 litres a year of fresh water. It seems that is the average per employee. As a rough calculation, between me and the toilet I'm expected to use 73 pints of water A DAY and that is assuming that I'm there 365 days a year. This does not allow for the 95% charge for getting rid of the 73 pints I don't use. Let's face it - 73 pints is a bloody good week away and all ST supply is water.

At the moment I'm expected to pay the assessment based charge. I fill the kettle twice (3.4 litres) and on a bad day flush the toilet 3 times.

Is there another way of having my water rates assessed?