Telephone Harassment Letters Not Respected.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3583 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent a Stop Harrasment Letter to Debitas (aka Capital One) on 17/7/09. Since then we are still getting calls from them around 3-4 times a day although the letter was recieved and signed for on 18/07/09.

I've logged the Time, number date and duration of the calls and plan to make a complaint to the OFT, OFCOM and Trading Standards.

A few questions...

1. I've heard people say in the thread..complain to the Police. Has anyone done this, what success, if any did you have?

2. Any good template letters to send to OFT etc?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my call log:

6th August 2009

10:15 Could here someone breathing on the line but they would not speak. After they hung up I 1471 it 01772 220126. Call back, line dead!

10:56 Silent call 01772 220126

11:15 Silent call. 0845 1550456

11:35 Silent call 01772 220126

13:15 Silent call. 0845 1550456

15:55 Silent call. 0845 1550456

16:01 Calls from the above numbers have been barred via choose to refuse costing £3.12 per month.

5th August 2009

Calling from a new number: 0845 1550 456. Called back, same problem as other number.

10:50 Refused to give me his name saying “You don’t need that information.”

13:01 Silent call.

14:12 Told them I had not received any letters, they said they would re send one. I agree to call back when received.

19:04 said I should know who they are, they have sent letters. No letters have been received. Done 14713 and it called them back. It is iQor in Preston.

3rd August 2009

10:41 Work

31st July 2009

08:10 Work (Debbie)

30th June 2009

10:16 Work

29th June 2009

4 calls at work

09:05

09:40

10:35

15:15

They wont tell me who is calling because of Data Protection but keep asking for my details. I tell them that is inaccurate, Data Protection doesnt work like that but they just talk over me and want my details. When it has been round in circles a few times I just hang up. All these calls were taken at work even thoug they have my home number, really annoying. I have barred the number now.

I have been on the companies house website and i was going to obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of the directors so I could phone them every 20 mins and ask for their details but i bet i would be done for harassment in 30 seconds flat if i did.

I remember this when it was all just fields....

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I have been getting at least 3 calls a day from robinson way, home and mobile, I have been polite for about 5 months, I dont feel I owe the debt as its a bank one, and I feel abbey owe me for charges, have explained this a million times, also have explained to them that I will deffinateley not be paying and they need to get on and take their next step as its getting really really boring listening to them waffle on about legal action, I have made it clear over the last couple of months that I wont be paying , but they still call every single day!! A couple of days ago I just thought to hell with it, they are not being nice to me so im not being nice to them, they are getting both barrels everytime they call, they dont like it when I swear and threaten to terminate the call!!doh!!!

Im so fed up with them callimg I just swear like a trooper and tell them exactley what I think of them, I dont give a s*&t if they record it and I could not care less if it upsets them. They really ARE BULLIES and try every threat they can, they even threatened to send someone round to visit my house( Good luck ! i'm a black belt in judo and have spent the last 15 years learning no rules fighting!)

I feel its such a shame I have had to resort to showing my worse side to them but they just dont seem to be listening to what im saying and think they can harrass me 3 times a day!!

I know it probably sounds odd but im a really easy going guy and dont really get worked up that often but they have just pushed too many buttons!! why cant they just get on and take me to court!! I have been a member of cag long enough to handle a court case im sure!!

Really sorry about the long rant!!!:)

Capital One - Sent letter recorded delivery and still calling, even though they replied to my recorded delivery letter..they stated they had a right to call to help their customers. Interestingly I have issued proceedings for non enforceability recently...

In Nov of last year I complained to Egg about harassment with the standard letter, whilst investigating the harassment paused and then promptly resumed again in Feb:

After a little while of just ignoring it I reported them to OFT, waited for ages only to be told complaint turnaround was 6 - 9 months, so waste of time. Called Police: was told not enough evidence to proceed, but get in touch if it happens again. It did so I called them and they could not be bothered.

Trading standards; after a 6 page letter with all the details (calls sometimes 3 times a day, and calls starting at 08:30 in a Sunday morning, to a house I share with 2 elderly relatives) and explaining the law as per the template, I just got a 2 page reply saying that he did not think there was enough evidence to say they had contravened S40 admin of Justice, no mention of the others and then he quoted more or less the same mantras as Egg do:"they are allowed to make contact to resolve problems concerning a debt."

Everything is useless, none of the official bodies could care less;; I don't know what to do now, cannot change my number either according to Tiscali.

How would I go about a private prosecution? And can I sue the idiot at trading standards for not doing anything?

I would very much appreciate any help with how to proceed.

p.s. in myh contact to both the Police and TS I detailed the times and dates of the calls, and the fact I had verbally and in writing stated I do not wish to discuss the matter over the phone...and that the phone is not mine.

Edited by cealioak
add extra info

Hi as I see it this may help you, if you can get a recording device for your phone. Next step (even if you cannot get a recorder) when they ring advise them you are recording the call (even if you are not)then just refuse to answer the security questions they are not allowed to continue with the call as it would breach DPA 1998.

I used this approach it stopped two creditors from ringing, that left one creditor who kept ringing MBNA I then found that I had some phone software with an old modem I had and used this with the computer. When I received any call from MBNA I just had to press a key on keyboard and the call was recorded. A copy was sent to MBNA legal dept head and that stopped the calls.

all the best just remember if you can do nothing else just refuse to answer the security questions. This will drive the phone monkies mad as they are paid basic + commission on any payment they get you to make.

All the best again dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

I wish I could take your robinson way calls , Robot _ roo, they were the best dca I ever had , you could not beat them for utter stupidity , and their challenged telephone operators were first class material for entertainment , I do miss them and the fun I used to have on the phone . But if you do not want them to call, you can get a device called truecall that will block any unwanted callers , them or anyone else . I have not purchased this item myself but it can record calls , block anyone you don't want calling you . It is something you could investigate .

Edited by Drexl Spivey

I have tried every route that you have. trading standards... said that the creditors had satisfied sec 77/78 of my request and sent what they BELIEVED was a true copy

oft no joy all that bo****x that it is contravening debt collection guidelines but what do they do about it? diddly squat

fos dont want to know

Police. I really thought this was a goer under the protection from harassment act and i have indepth knowledge of this criminal act andcome from that organisation.

the only route is civil harassment case and you will need to colate evidence as above posts suggest. there was a case that you can research from a lady who won from the halifax and it shows the firm of solicitors she used.

unfortunately i now had to change my number i have held for over 20 years

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

Marks & Spencer Finance, who repeatedly claim they are licensed by Ofcom to make as many calls to pursue the debt as they want, even though they haven't yet sent an enforceable agreement so are in breach of the Consumer Credit Act and cannot legally pursue the debt at all either by phone or by other methods.

Barclaycard, although they have reduced their calls somewhat are still calling.

I have been recording calls and have told them I will pass copies of the recordings, dates, times etc to Ofcom, TS and OFT with a formal complaint but they still claim they have the right to continue calling. Currently drafting a letter to all 3 as I see little point in telling them I'm going to complain and then not doing so.

...Currently drafting a letter to all 3 as I see little point in telling them I'm going to complain and then not doing so.
Well done manxcat2206! ;)

Peeps can moan all they like, but until they actually DO something about it, the faceless entities on the other end of the unsolicited phone call will just ignore them, knowing that a large % of peeps will be ground down by their unlawful harrassment + possibly pay up eventually.

:)

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

(Jules Winnfield)

• 1 month later...

Fairfax Solicitors have ignored a request from me. Received on Monday, twelve calls since (including three batches of three calls in three minutes). Letter to the Solicitors Regulation Authority going off as soon as I've finished scanning the proof of postage. With call log. Have retained at least one answerphone message on my mobile, and if they call again over the weekend, I'm taking the police route, to see if they can do anything.

I have capital one making my life hell - I am actually up to date with my payments - last one was a little late but by a few days - since then I have them calling my mobile upwards of 10 times a day - early in the morning until nearly 10 00 pm

I sent them the harassment template and they have totally ignored it

Wondering what to do next and how I can stop these people who call from some far distant call centre with a very poor command of the english language and who refuse to understand what they are being told

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The best way to deal with telephone Harassment if letters fail

DCA: Can I speak to Mr. Smith

You: Yeh,sure

(put phone down)

Eventually,they will hang up, trust me.

REPEAT

Waste there time not yours

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

• 2 weeks later...

CCS Ltd are still sending text messages and phone calls too,

however I said you have now recieved a letter asking you not to call

Julie from CCS responded no we havent.

I said you have recieved the letter

again Julie replied we havent

I said it was sent on 1/4/10 and recieved 6/4/10

Julie "If that was the letter saying dont callthen you cant do that"

Me So you did recieve the letter then?

SILENCE THEN PHONE HUNG UP that was weds 21/04/10

I called her back hiding id I said is that Julie I think we were cut off can you now accept that you can no longer call me and that you must now correspond via mail

Julie's reponse we are sending people round so f**k off

ohhhhhh did I upset up I appologise if I did please dont swear again at me though

they hung up again so I left it there with a big grin on my face

today friday text message sent to me asking to call them yeah right thats going to happen.

Think the letter about harrassment is going to be sent

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

Is it possible to turn my landline into a premium number, so each time Barclaycard ring me it costs them £1000.00, hehe.:)

I love thinking outside of the box.

There are two ways to deal with Telephone harassment if letters don't work.

One: put them on hold and leave them there till they hang up.

Two: refuse to do Data protection, then put them on hold.

actually there is three methods

Three: buy a whistle and blow it down the phone everytime DCA calls, eventually everyone in the office will permanently deaf and nobody will be calling anybody

We live in an unmoderated country why should the net be any different?

Bring back free speech we miss it!

• 1 month later...

whats the point in sending letters if they clearly dont pay any attention to them? maybe we would be better having a day of action and target one at a time and send the same letter on the same day, if only to inconvenience them. might even get press notice - just a thought

Is it possible to turn my landline into a premium number, so each time Barclaycard ring me it costs them £1000.00, hehe.:)

I think you'd struggle to get above about £1.50 a minute, and only up to a maximum of £30 per call, from a landline (unless there's more expensive ones I've not seen).

Without any set-up costs on your part, you can get an 0871 number; they cost about 10p a minute to ring from a landline and you get about 30% of that.

Halifax (current accounts, credit card, old mortgage, secured loan)

thread here

MBNA (three credit cards)

thread here

firstdirect (a current account, two mortgage accounts, old loans, old credit card)

they've sold my current account. thread here.

Royal Mail

Claim issued by former employer Royal Mail, thread here.

I counterclaimed and won. They paid in full.

• 1 year later...

Vanquis - Harrasment letter sent, they keep phoning saying it is in my contract that I have to provide a telephone number for them to contact me. They refuse to accept my offer and keep banging on charges and interest as well.

Hi,

My girlfriend must have had about 50 calls in one week....from various people...now the 'digital' answerphone is full ( not bothered listening to any of them ) and just says 'Thanks for calling...bye'..

Funnily enough it's gone quiet now ( she won't answer phone anyway and i just say no...when they asked for her anyway )

Rofl

Stormski

Hi,

Actually that is entirely possible...and seeing as my girlfriends phone is for emergencies only and is hardly ever used ( both ways )......could be a great little earner at the expense of the DCA's.

That would be a nice little earner if you get £1.05 a minute especially if the phones just sat next to you while you are 'getting the person they want to speak to'

Now you've got me thinking!!!!

Regards,

Stormski

Edited by stormski

Hi,

My problems with Capital One :evil::evil::evil: I sent an harassment letter off to them after receiving around 8 calls a day for the past month or so and i also informed them I'd be recording their calls from now on. Had a response back today stating that though they are sorry i find the calls harassing they are legally entittled to call and will carrying on doing so. Also if i haven't gained authority from the 'associate' calling me i wont be able to use these calls for any action i may wish to take and will have no right to use the calls for any other purpose than personal use.

So basically there going to keep harassing me!