Halifax Have Reduced Their Charges!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5939 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All, i dont know who this may help, but just a general bit of information really.

This morning, i received a letter from the Halifax that reads:

CHANGES TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS TO YOUR HALIFAX EASYCASH ACCOUNT.

We are making a number of changes to our Halifax Easycash Account conditions, making them easier to read and refer to, reflecting some changes to the services and facilities on your account.

We have enclosed a copy of the new halifax Easycash account conditions, which includes a summary of these changes.

The booklet enclosed is 22 pages long. The front is dated November 2007.

On page 4 section titled Interest rates and account fees and charges it states: Unpaid Item fees and interest on overdrawn accounts.

We will inform you of any decision by us to not make payment by letter, and we are entitled to charge you an Unpaid item fee of £15*, even if it takes your account into overdraft.

* Account holders under the age of 18 will not be charged the Unpaid item Fee.

Q)

Now previously they have charged me £39 for an unpaid item.. they've reduced this to £15 as from November 2007! Does this mean any £39's they have deducted in November/December should be refunded/part refunded??

:-D

Zosaphine- If the terms state this change was effective from November 2007, they are required to refund the £24 difference on any charges they took. It'd be worth contacting them- they've sent it in writing so they can;t really argue!

AB123uk

IF MY COMMENTS ARE USEFUL, PLEASE CLICK MY SCALES!

Halifax Staff Current Account WON

Lloyds WON

Yorkshire WON

Halifax Staff Visa WON

If CAG Helped you..... Why not help CAG!

Click Donate at the top of the forum!

Oyster- I fought the Lloyds will have it's mark in history- have you downloaded your Official Charges Track?

Hi ab123uk.

I have telephoned them this afternoon and was advised that the reduced charges became effective from 1st December 2007. I responded that this was not stated on their documentation anywhere, and as such it is very misleading.

The CSA apologised most profusely, but said this was the date it was effective from and tat there was nothing she could do.

I am just drafting a letter of complaint to them now. :mad:

good good, enclose a photocopy of the part stating November 2007, with it highlighted if you can!

AB123uk

Lloyds WON

Yorkshire WON

Halifax Staff Visa WON

Oyster- I fought the Lloyds will have it's mark in history- have you downloaded your Official Charges Track?

hi guys, i dont know if im in the right forum or not but i need some help....my mother inlaw(and she's a good one before anyone asks) has been to the halifax to either close or have her name removed from her joint account with her so-called husband; as the marrage has broken down. He now has his money paid into another account in his name but still takes HER money from the joint account too.

The bank manager told her that she needed him to agree to close it and sign to say so, but he refuses to do this. all the time he is taking her money and leaving her with bank charges(which they were good enouhg to wave for this month only), she only has this bank account and needs it as her sons disability benifit is paid into it.

Any help would be most welcome.:?

I'm no expert in things really but i do have 36 years of experience in life, and some of those years fighting off bailiffs.

Nicknamed Victor Meldrew among friends as i love to complain!;)

Vanman -

It is branch policy that joint accounts have to have both persons consent to take a name off, otherwise how do they know you're not trying to pinch all his money?

First of all, I would suggest that she open another bank account in her sole name, and transfer all the money she has a right to from the joint account into that, and have any bank credits, eg, salary, benefits etc, directed to the sole named account too.

Then inform the branch staff formally that the relationship has broken down and ask them to put a stop on the account (referred to in branch as a TRI) - no money can then be paid in or drawn from the account until the issue is resolved.

If the ex-husband can't get his money, I'm sure he'll come along pretty quick to get things resolved.

I still havnt heard of anyone having a reduced charge. :rolleyes:

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

deadlykiss, different accounts obviously have different terms, the easycash account is the simplest acount offered- with fewer services- I think I'm still right in saying EasyCash cant do telephone banking etc, hence the difference in charges.

AB123uk

Lloyds WON

Yorkshire WON

Halifax Staff Visa WON

If Halifax say their charges are not disproportionate then how come they can charge a current account holder £35 and a student only £20 for the same item ????

Surely this is contradicting what they have been saying all along and that they would be making a loss by charging a student only £20 instead of £35.

Anyone from Halifax care to explain that one for me????:???: :???: :???:

I'm no expert in things really but i do have 36 years of experience in life, and some of those years fighting off bailiffs.

Nicknamed Victor Meldrew among friends as i love to complain!;)

ab123uk -

You're right that the Easycash customers have less access to services, but it's focussed at using internet, telephone and ATM banking. They get restricted branch service for enquiries and transactions, things have to be done by ATM, telephone or internet where possible.

Also student accounts are to an effect 'subsidised' in that they get an interest free overdraft, and perks like lower charges. From a business point of view, student's are a good source of business. Through the life of their course, they get into a lot of debt, so they're tied to their bank ill it's paid off. In the future, for things like mortgages, loans, etc, people generally go to the bank where their main account is. So by encouraging uni students to join a bank, it pretty much guarantees more business out of them in future.

Can anyone explain to me why the HBOS argument for charging me £39.00 to refuse to pay a direct debit on my Cardcash account is that I am having a service for an unplanned overdraft when they do NOT actually pay the item, so no overdraft! If they actually paid the item, then it might add slight weight in their favour, but.......

With the Cardcash account, the bank doesn't even waste ink or computer time on adding an item to the bank statement. Just one rather expensive letter follows (in my case by Email). Bargain,.................... not.

HBOS, joint claim number 3 will be on it's way shortly!

H

Went £1.94 overdrawn over New Year beause of timing due to Bank Holidays etc - got charged £28 for unauth O/d and £35 for paying a DD with insufficient funds - rang them, threatened to close th account and they refunded the 2 amounts instantly.

Makes you wonder why they bother ;)

If you think my advice has been helpful, please click on the scales to the left :) thank you!

Non illegitimi carborundum

I wish I was a glow worm,

A glow worm's never glum!

How can you be grumpy,

when the sun shines out yer bum?! :p

Amex * 2 *** WON *** Settled

Marbles ****WON*** In full settlement

Capital 1 ***WON*** In full settlement

MBNA ***WON**** In full settlement

Barclaycard ***WON*** In full settlement

Barclays Bank - ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mrs Chorlton) ***WON*** In full settlement

Abbey (Mr and Mrs C) - MCOL submitted 16/5/07

i was charged £39 on the 13th of december and i have a card cash account. what is the difference between a card cash and an easycash account? my husband has an easycash account and he has all the same services as me or should i say lack of them, we can only pay a cheque in through that silly machine, his card is visa electron so is mine

Not really any difference between an easycash and a cardcash account, except for their target customers.

A while back, the Cardcash account was the basic bank account offered to all customers. This has now been changed so that 11 - 15 yrs get and Expresscash account, 16 - 17 yrs get Cardcash and 18 + now get Easycash.

Any 18+ customers with a cardcash account still keep it, though I'm not sure if they get rebranded as easycash when a replacement card is sent.

In effect though, they're all basic accounts with limited branch service and in theory no credit facilites, ie no overdraft, although they seem happy to let you go overdrawn if it's because they're charging you for something..