• Tweets

• My defence was standard no paperwork:   1.The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 2. Paragraph 1 is noted. The Defendant has had a contractual relationship with MBNA Limited in the past. The Defendant does not recognise the reference number provided by the claimant within its particulars and has sought verification from the claimant who is yet to comply with requests for further information. 3. Paragraph 2 is denied. The Defendant maintains that a default notice was never received. The Claimant is put to strict proof to that a default notice was issued by MBNA Limited and received by the Defendant. 4. Paragraph 3 is denied. The Defendant is unaware of any legal assignment or Notice of Assignment allegedly served from either the Claimant or MBNA Limited. 5. On the 02/01/2023 the Defendant requested information pertaining to this claim by way of a CCA 1974 Section 78 request. The claimant is yet to respond to this request. On the 19/05/2023 a CPR 31.14 request was sent to Kearns who is yet to respond. To date, 02/06/2023, no documentation has been received. The claimant remains in default of my section 78 request. 6. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of proof of assignment being sent/ agreement/ balance/ breach or termination requested by CPR 31.14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to: (a) show how the Defendant entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence the nature of breach and service of a default notice pursuant to Section 87(1) CCA1974 (c) show how the claimant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim; 7. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed. 8. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974. 9. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.
    • Monika the first four pages of the Private parking section have at least 12 of our members who have also been caught out on this scam site. That's around one quarter of all our current complaints. Usually we might expect two current complaints for the same park within 4 pages.  So you are in good company and have done well in appealing to McDonalds in an effort to resolve the matter without having  paid such a bunch of rogues. Most people blindly pay up. Met . Starbucks and McDonalds  are well aware of the situation and seem unwilling to make it easier for motorists to avoid getting caught. For instance, instead of photographing you, if they were honest and wanted you  to continue using their services again, they would have said "Excuse me but if you are going to go to Mc donalds from here, it will cost you £100." But no they kett quiet and are now pursuing you for probably a lot more than £100 now. They also know thst  they cannot charge anything over the amount stated on the car park signs. Their claims for £160 or £170 are unlawful yet so many pay that to avoid going to Court. When the truth is that Met are unlikely to take them to Court since they know they will lose. The PCNs are issued on airport land which is covered by Byelaws so only the driver can be pursued, not the keeper. But they keep writing to you as they do not know who was driving unless you gave it away when you appealed. Even if they know you were driving they should still lose in Court for several reasons. The reason we ask you to fill out our questionnaire is to help you if MET do decide to take you to Court in the end. Each member who visited the park may well have different experiences while there which can help when filling out a Witness statement [we will help you with that if it comes to it.] if you have thrown away the original PCN  and other paperwork you obviously haven't got a jerbil or a guinea pig as their paper makes great litter boxes for them.🙂 You can send an SAR to them to get all the information Met have on you to date. Though if you have been to several sites already, you may have done that by now. In the meantime, you will be being bombarded by illiterate debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors all threatening you with ever increasing amounts as well as being hung drawn and quartered. Their letters can all be safely ignored. On the odd chance that you may get a Letter of Claim from them just come back to us and we will get you to send a snotty letter back to them so that they know you are not happy, don't care a fig for their threats and will see them off in Court if they finally have the guts to carry on. If you do have the original PCN could you please post it up, carefully removing your name. address and car registration number but including dates and times. If not just click on the SAR to take you to the form to send to Met.
    • In order for us to help you we require the following information:- [if there are more than one defendant listed - tell us] 1 defendant   Which Court have you received the claim from ? County Court Business Centre, Northampton   Name of the Claimant ? LC Asset 2 S.A R.L   Date of issue – . 28/04/23   Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for –    (1) The Claimant ('C') claims the whole of the outstanding balance due and payable under an agreement referenced xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and opened effective from xx/xx/2017. The agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 ('CCA'), was signed by the Defendant ('D') and from which credit was extended to D.   (2) D failed to comply with a Default Notice served pursuant to s87 (1) CCA and by xx/xx/2022 a default was recorded.   (3) As at xx/xx/2022 the Defendant owed MBNA LTD the sum of 12,xxx.xx. By an agreement in writing the benefit of the debt has been legally assigned to C effective xx/xx/2022 and made regular upon C serving a Notice of Assignment upon D shortly thereafter.   (4) And C claims- 1. 12,xxx.xx 2. Interest pursuant to Section 69 County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from xx/01/2023 to xx/04/2023 of 2xx.xx and thereafter at a daily rate of 2.52 to date of judgement or sooner payment. Date xx/xx/2023   What is the total value of the claim? 12k   Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? N/A Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Credit Card   When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After   Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online   Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes, but amount differs slightly   Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. DP issued claim   Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not that I recall...   Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Not that I recall...   Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? Yes   Why did you cease payments? Loss of employment main cause   What was the date of your last payment? Early 2021   Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No   Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No   -----------------------------------
    • Hello CAG Team, I'm adding the contents of the claim to this thread, but wanted to open the thread with an urgent question: Do I have to supply a WS for a claim with a court date that states " at the hearing the court will consider allocation and, time permitting, give an early neutral evaluation of the case" ? letter is an N24 General Form of Judgement or Order, if so, then I've messed up again. Court date 25 May 2024 The letter from court does not state (like the other claims I have) that I must provide WS within 28 days.. BUT I have recently received a WS from Link for it! making me think I do need to!??
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Can they go for my House?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When my dad died my mum could not afford the mortgage so myself and my brother 'bought' the house from her and we were paying the mortgage, which is in my name, my brothers name and my brother's wife's name. My brother and his wife went to the USA 2 years ago and left loads of debt behind, the letters of which are all being sent to my mothers house. I opened a letter of his at Christmas and it was from the court saying there was a county court judgement against him for 10600 pounds from the Nationwide building society and that they would be looking for recovery. What I need to know is if they can try and go for Mum's house as it is one of his and his wife's assets? I am worried sick as I don't want to see my mum out of her home, but I can't afford to pay this off and my brother hasn't been in contact with anybody so I can't get in touch with him to sort it out. The worst is that I know he had access to a total of 30 grand on his credit cards before he left and it looks like he has maxed them all out and isn't paying any of them. Please please help. Thanks:?

Carrie

Can I just clarify something about the house? When you and your brother 'bought' the house from your mother after your father's death, did you register your ownership with the Land Registry? Or did you just add your names to the mortgage?

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Docman,

Most (all) mortgage companies will not allow you to have a mortgage on a property that you are not the legal owner of, so you must be registered owner at the land registry.

Carrie,

The issue with returning mail unopened is that your brother, yourself and his wife are all going to be registered as owners at the land registry. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the legalities surrounding shared house ownership/charging orders to give you any meaningful advice.

BFD

If there is a County Court Judgement for the debt the next thing will be that they will go for a charging order against the house. You really need to take some urgent steps to see what your legal position is with regard to your ownership of the house and if you brother was ever recorded as the owner of the house

Docman,

Most (all) mortgage companies will not allow you to have a mortgage on a property that you are not the legal owner of, so you must be registered owner at the land registry.

Carrie,

The issue with returning mail unopened is that your brother, yourself and his wife are all going to be registered as owners at the land registry. I'm afraid I don't know enough about the legalities surrounding shared house ownership/charging orders to give you any meaningful advice.

BFD

I was thinking that the mortgage company could have replaced Carrie and brother following the death of father. It wouldn't necessarily need a change of ownership, just for Carrie & brother agreeing to become liable for the debt.

I agree it may not be normal practice but could happen on rare occasions such as replacing a dead parent to assist the remaining parent. Otherwise, if the mortgagor insisted on a transfer of ownership, there could be a stamp duty liability. A bit harsh following a breavment. Hence my request for clarification.

there is also the fact that presumably your mother is a "sitting tennant" even if her name is not on the mortgage or the deeds she may have a registered interest. This is quite a complicated subject as there are different types of ownership - tennants in common etc.

Probably you need official legal advice from a solicitor - but a little more information regarding the situation on how things were drwan up originally may help.

Are you paying all the mortgage by yourself now?But your brother still technically owns part of the house?

Were the title deeds changed at all?

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I am paying all thr mortgage by myself now - the **** has left me to deal with all this. We officially bought the house from mum - her name has nothing to do with the ownership of it anymore. I have contacted the companies he owes money to to say he doesn't live there and I don't know where he is blah blah blah - he owes about 30 grand in total!!!! If they put a charge on the house does that mean it will be taken when the house is sold or can they legally force the sale of the house. Please please someone help, I am losing sleep over this and if I tell mum I'm afraid she'll take a heart attack (if I don't take one first that it)

there is also the fact that presumably your mother is a "sitting tennant" even if her name is not on the mortgage or the deeds she may have a registered interest. This is quite a complicated subject as there are different types of ownership - tennants in common etc.

Probably you need official legal advice from a solicitor - but a little more information regarding the situation on how things were drwan up originally may help.

Are you paying all the mortgage by yourself now?But your brother still technically owns part of the house?

jan

Yes, they were changed, yes I am paying the mortgage on my own. I don't know what will happen!!

I was thinking that the mortgage company could have replaced Carrie and brother following the death of father. It wouldn't necessarily need a change of ownership, just for Carrie & brother agreeing to become liable for the debt.

I agree it may not be normal practice but could happen on rare occasions such as replacing a dead parent to assist the remaining parent. Otherwise, if the mortgagor insisted on a transfer of ownership, there could be a stamp duty liability. A bit harsh following a breavment. Hence my request for clarification.

No, we completely bought over the house so mum's name has nothing to do with the ownership now, just that she is a tennent. Seems this ismore complicated than I thought.

Carrie

Can I just clarify something about the house? When you and your brother 'bought' the house from your mother after your father's death, did you register your ownership with the Land Registry? Or did you just add your names to the mortgage?

No, we completely bought the house over, new mortgage and everything, we didn't just take over the existing one.

If there is a County Court Judgement for the debt the next thing will be that they will go for a charging order against the house. You really need to take some urgent steps to see what your legal position is with regard to your ownership of the house and if you brother was ever recorded as the owner of the house

Myself, my brother and his wife are alll down as the legal owners of the house. If his debts are about 30 grand do you know if they can force the house sale? Even though I have been paying the mortgage on my own for 2 years, and have proof of it?

jan

we 3 (me, bro and his wife) completely legally own the house. I am paying the mortgage by myself, and have been for 2 years ( I have proof). Will that make any difference?

If they put a charge on the house does that mean it will be taken when the house is sold or can they legally force the sale of the house.

It's very rare for an order for sale to be granted. Usually a creditor will not even apply for one and will wait until the property is sold before getting their money (sometimes charges are even transfered to a new property due to insufficient equity). The fact that you are paying the mortgage and are co-owner of the property (are you tenants in common e.g. you both own a percentage of the property?) would make it very difficult to obtain an order for sale as you have an interest in the property. The judge has to take this into account and when applying for a charging order the creditor has to list those that already have an interest in the property.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

OK, thanks Carrie for clarifying a few points. This could get quite complicated and I think you will need proper legal advice in due course.

The Nationwide have a judgment against your brother, not you or your mum. Remember that. If they proceed to go for the house, there is a two stage process. First, they would apply for an interim charging order. This would probably be granted almost automatically by the court to protect the Nationwide’s claim. There would then be a hearing to make the charging order final. At this point you and any other owner would be informed of the hearing by the Land Registry and clearly you and your mother could object.

The charging order is like a mortgage over the property, securing the debt. It does not mean that you have to sell the house. Even f the charging order was granted, it would only operate against your brother's share of any equity. If the Nationwide wanted to get their money, they would have to go back to court to get the charging order enforced. As rory pointed out above, the court is unlikely to order enforcement because the debt is due to a third owner and the property is home to an elderly sitting tenant. And to get to the stage of a court hearing, the Nationwide would have to be totally heartless and immune to public criticism.

I suggest that you write back to the Nationwide and explain that their letter to your brother was inadvertently opened along with Christmas mail. After reading the contents, you tell them he has resided in the US since XX date (whether you give his current address is up to you. Point out that the debt is not yours; that the property is owned by family to provide a home for your elderly mother following the death of your father; that your mother is a sitting tenant; that you pay the mortgage without any help from your brother; and that you would strongly object to the Nationwide obtaining a charging order. Then see what comes back from them and keep us updated.

I would have though if the property is registered solely in the name carriexs87 then what has she got to do with the debts of her brother, as he is no long on the deed of the property.

As you say a charge order is to protect the loan on the property and I would be most surprise if an order would be put on deeds to protect debts that has now got nothing to do with carriexs87 absolute title. :-|

OK, thanks Carrie for clarifying a few points. This could get quite complicated and I think you will need proper legal advice in due course.

The Nationwide have a judgment against your brother, not you or your mum. Remember that. If they proceed to go for the house, there is a two stage process. First, they would apply for an interim charging order. This would probably be granted almost automatically by the court to protect the Nationwide’s claim. There would then be a hearing to make the charging order final. At this point you and any other owner would be informed of the hearing by the Land Registry and clearly you and your mother could object.

The charging order is like a mortgage over the property, securing the debt. It does not mean that you have to sell the house. Even f the charging order was granted, it would only operate against your brother's share of any equity. If the Nationwide wanted to get their money, they would have to go back to court to get the charging order enforced. As rory pointed out above, the court is unlikely to order enforcement because the debt is due to a third owner and the property is home to an elderly sitting tenant. And to get to the stage of a court hearing, the Nationwide would have to be totally heartless and immune to public criticism.

I suggest that you write back to the Nationwide and explain that their letter to your brother was inadvertently opened along with Christmas mail. After reading the contents, you tell them he has resided in the US since XX date (whether you give his current address is up to you. Point out that the debt is not yours; that the property is owned by family to provide a home for your elderly mother following the death of your father; that your mother is a sitting tenant; that you pay the mortgage without any help from your brother; and that you would strongly object to the Nationwide obtaining a charging order. Then see what comes back from them and keep us updated.

Thanks for all the help, I will try that and see what happens. I'm just worried that if mor CCJs come through the door, there will be so much that it will force the sale of the house. As I said, I think he owes about 30 grand on Credit cards, and thats only the things I know about!!

I would have though if the property is registered solely in the name carriexs87 then what has she got to do with the debts of her brother, as he is no long on the deed of the property.

As you say a charge order is to protect the loan on the property and I would be most surprise if an order would be put on deeds to protect debts that has now got nothing to do with carriexs87 absolute title. :-|

The property is in his name also and his wifes name, but they stopped paying their share 2 years ago, I have been paying it ever since, but their names are still on it.

Don't worry about any other claims. They won't be in any better position than the Nationwide.

If you get any more CCJ's from other creditors who write threatening a charging order, send them a letter similar to the one you will be sending to the Nationwide.

Sorry did not realize that their names were still on the deeds therefore the can put a charge on the property, why not get your relative names off the deeds are they are not paying anything toward the mortgage, this would solve a lot of problems for you.:sad:

we 3 (me, bro and his wife) completely legally own the house. I am paying the mortgage by myself, and have been for 2 years ( I have proof). Will that make any difference?

You may have a claim under the Trusts of Land Act to reduce your brothers/his wifes share in the property. You will need proper legal advice though as it would involve a court claim on your behalf.

The reason I say the above, is that you are solely paying the mortgage, therefore in fairness to you, you effectively own the house (irrespective of whose names are on the deeds). It is more complicated though because it looks like your brother/his wife had made payments in the past.

I assume your original agreement was a 50/50 payment to the mortgage and a 50/50 split in sale proceeds. The fact that the agreement has broken down means that the court can alter the shares in the property to one that is now fair to each party. This action would severely reduce your brothers/his wifes share in any sale proceeds and make it even more difficult for creditors to push for a sale. Also, the same Act gives your mother a residency claim.

Why not draw a deed of trust for your relatives and take their names off the deeds the deed of trust would protect them when the property has been sold however to do this you would need to contact a solicitor and it would probably cost you to do it but you can always recover this when the property is sold.:|

Why not draw a deed of trust for your relatives and take their names off the deeds the deed of trust would protect them when the property has been sold however to do this you would need to contact a solicitor and it would probably cost you to do it but you can always recover this when the property is sold.:|

I have already enquired about getting them off the mortgage, but because on paper I cannot officially afford the total mortgage (even though I am paying it all) I cannot have it totally in my name, which is crazy as I'm paying it already. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and contact a solicitor. Never get involved with families and money!!

You may have a claim under the Trusts of Land Act to reduce your brothers/his wifes share in the property. You will need proper legal advice though as it would involve a court claim on your behalf.

The reason I say the above, is that you are solely paying the mortgage, therefore in fairness to you, you effectively own the house (irrespective of whose names are on the deeds). It is more complicated though because it looks like your brother/his wife had made payments in the past.

I assume your original agreement was a 50/50 payment to the mortgage and a 50/50 split in sale proceeds. The fact that the agreement has broken down means that the court can alter the shares in the property to one that is now fair to each party. This action would severely reduce your brothers/his wifes share in any sale proceeds and make it even more difficult for creditors to push for a sale. Also, the same Act gives your mother a residency claim.

That sounds interesting, I will definately look into that. Thanks!!