Anonymous text message from MBNA

Under Siege
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5676 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just received this text message -

"Hi, give me a call on 01244673052, it is important that i speak to you today."

I have found out that it is from MBNA

I know that this is against debt collection guidelines but who do I complain to?

The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity than a friend is a creditor.

Debt Collection Charges

There is no legal basis for a creditor or a debt collection agency acting on its behalf to claim collection costs from a debtor unless there is an express provision in the original agreement.

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement.

• 1 month later...

I've had one of those today - trying to find out who sent it was a bit tricky, with no reverse phonebook facility in the UK.

How many other people have had this sort of treatment? And how many complaints to the appropriate bodies can we get sent in at once?

I have had several of these texts from MBNA one from someone call Alex - this frightened the life out of me initially as i thought a friend of mine called Alex was ill!!! also had postcards from MBNA stating they were going to call me on such a date and time (all in plain view of the postman!!!) also can you believe it keep getting information for MBNA for taking out another loan!!!!

Northern Rock - loan - £6000

Beneficial credit card - £12+

GM Card - £13+

will have to look up the others have about 21 debtors totalling about £175,000

Soo43,

I am going to look into this because I have recieved another text today, whilst the account is subject to a complaint and being investigated.

Debt Collection Charges

There is no legal basis for a creditor or a debt collection agency acting on its behalf to claim collection costs from a debtor unless there is an express provision in the original agreement.

Without such provision, collection charges cannot be demanded as a debt due under the agreement.

From the OFT website -

Debt collection guidance -

2.2 Examples of unfair practices are as follows -

c. Those contacting debtors not making clear who they are, who they work for, what their role is, what the purpose of the contact is.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

Debt Collection Charges

• 6 months later...

I have also received a text message today from MBNA:

Note that this is not a mobile number, includes a space character (never seen that before on any phone), and it's not even a complete number. This is the first indication that this is a message from a company (too stupid to even make it look convincing!), and not a genuine personal contact.

" I think I have found a solution for you. Call me on 01244 574141 to hear about it"

is replaced with the first name they on account for you.

Despite me knowing this was most likely some kind of marketing exercise, I was curious as to what this was about. Surprise, surprise, it's MBNA collections department!

Even worse, MY ACCOUNT IS NOT EVEN IN ARREARS! The woman on the phone hurried a rather flustered apology down the phone (mentioning a computer error) when I asked her where MBNA got off being so unforgivably deceitful!

Reviewing the OFT document posted above, this communication is clearing in violation of these guidelines. Is there any legal action that could be taken I wonder?

Perhaps I can blackmail them into writing off my loan account? :p

This incident has left me reeling in disgust at the way MBNA operate their business - absolute animals. I feel for the people that are being hounded by them and can only offer my support - just remember that it is MBNA that is on the wrong side of the law!

Matthew

We nearly got divorced last week when I answered the phone to a very sweet and sexy voice asking for my husband by his Christian name only.... Who's calling? Jody..... Jody who? I can't tell you that...... Well then, Jody, I am his wife and you can't talk to my husband, good bye ! :mad:

We nearly got divorced last week when I answered the phone to a very sweet and sexy voice asking for my husband by his Christian name only.... Who's calling? Jody..... Jody who? I can't tell you that...... Well then, Jody, I am his wife and you can't talk to my husband, good bye ! :mad:

You sure it wasn't Joanie?:D

"Hello this is Joanie (The Telephone Answering Machine Song)"

Hello, this is Joanie

I'm sorry that I'm not home

But if you leave me your name and number

I promise soon as I get in I'll call

Can't we sign them up for something using this number? :D

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

I have been told before that I am very, very naughty, I am a bad, bad girl lol :D

*Pulls all the drawers out looking for letters asking for telephone details*

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

That is what we want you to think!

George Bernard Shaw

I got one yesterday simply saying...

You have not responded to our mesages, please help us to help you by calling 01244 629960

bless'em :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Co-op bank - won March 07

Virgin Credit Card - won - March 07

MBNA Credit Card - won March 07

You should have called it might have been Gordon Brooooon with another bailout lol.

I wish... I did call it (for kicks) and it wasn't Gordy, but some obnoxious knob who soon got bored of my ranting - heheh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Co-op bank - won March 07

Virgin Credit Card - won - March 07

MBNA Credit Card - won March 07