Countdown to court case

bruce47
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i thought we could have a countdown to the court case as i guess the site is going to be busy with posts once the court case starts

7 days to go!!!

Feels like being a kid again waitning for christmas morning.

The case has now been set to start on Wednesday 16th at 10.30.

The venue is Royal Courts of Justice (Admiralty & Commercial Registry) in the Strand.

The consumer group Which? is planning an anti-bank demonstration outside

the courtroom on the first day.

A judgement on the case is not expected until May.

I don't want to be all negative or doom & gloom but presumably if we ( or the oft ) wins the test case the banks have a right of appeal so will we then not have to wait another 12 months+ for the outcome of that before we can start getting paid out again?

I really hope i'm about to be shot down in flames & told how wrong I am!!

I can find information that tells me there will be an appeal from either side and information that tells me there won't:?

Anyone know?

I HAVE ALL THE MONEY I'LL EVER NEED - IF I DIE BY 4 O'CLOCK THIS AFTERNOON!!:-|

This is unbelivable, no conclusion until May???

Is this set in stone? why would it take 4 months to set the judgement??

I guess April passes the only thing i can think of.

Is it common for a verdict to take this long?

If the court case goes ahead can the banks cut a deal with the OFT while the judgement is waiting to be set?

The crazy thing is, the Banks say the UTCCR's do not apply to current accounts. So we should all be able to claim the charges back like with a bussiness acount leaving out the UTCCR's in the 14 day letter.

Anyway 9 days to go!!!

I think 12 months would be rather optimistic I'm afraid. Assuming the OFT win, the banks are certain to appeal. The right to appeal is written into the the test case agreement but it is unclear that the waiver and stays would be lifted before any appeal.

Depending on the judgment, the OFT will launch a second case to prove that the fees are illegal/unlawful. I have always thought, and still think, that the entire proccess could take several years to reach a conclusion.

This is unbelivable, no conclusion until May???

Is this set in stone? why would it take 4 months to set the judgement??

I guess April passes the only thing i can think of.

Is it common for a verdict to take this long?

If the court case goes ahead can the banks cut a deal with the OFT while the judgement is waiting to be set?

The crazy thing is, the Banks say the UTCCR's do not apply to current accounts. So we should all be able to claim the charges back like with a bussiness acount leaving out the UTCCR's in the 14 day letter.

Anyway 9 days to go!!!

The May judgement is the courts estimation. I don't think this is an unusually

long time and if anything I would say it is optimistic. Look how long Tom Brennans judgement took which wasn't even a case as such and was comparitvely straight forward with just one defendant.

The structure of the test case is such that there are 8 separate defences

for the judge to consider.

It looks like it could go one of two ways now. Either they will wrap the case up very, very fast or they will drag it out for a very, very long time. I don't think there will be a middle ground.

Someone will have to make a decision on whether the benefits of refunding the charges are getting cash back into the economy outweigh the risks to the banks balance sheets in doing so. Its a tough one.....personally I think that failing to pay back the charges quickly will have devestating consequences to the wider economy. I guess we'll find out soon.........I still wouldn't discount completely the possibility of an 11th hour agreement though.

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

Heres hoping for a last minute climbdown by the banks.

Week by week people are losing money due to the six year rule.

Just imagine how much the banks have made in the last six months alone.

They have carried on taking while we could not continue getting the money they have ripped out of our pockets.Even taking benefit money-they are not bothered.I will never forget the Whistleblower program.How much will they have saved by the trial and possible appeals process is finished.They will carry on taking through it all.Will never trust banks again.Sickened.

"Will never trust banks again.Sickened."

You're not alone in feeling that way. Frankly - the way the banks are going they'll be lucky to ever get any trust back. I wouldn't be surprised to see another Northern Rock style run this year if the charges case drags on. People have had it.

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

hello just been reading your thread i too have a thread abroadgirl v abbey

the oft test case starts monday for 8 days i was in court yesterday 8th jan please read what the judge said i have also put in a new thread in general about the stay and what happened i will check this thread again please do go and have a read hugs

take care

keep up the fight

hugs

abroadgirl (abg)

I have read your thread and i guess it was to be expected so close to the court date.

But only 6 days to go then at least it has started however long it takes to come to an end

I hope as Alec says they may come to a agreement on the 11th hour fingers crossed!!!!

I'm hoping the banks will lose in such embarrasing fashion any appeal would only delay them paying out. After that I would like to have a question style debate with the likes or Martin Lewis and representatives from here to quiz the directors of these companies on the charging structure AND the manner in which debt collection is organised.

Hey I like to aim high :)

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Week by week people are losing money due to the six year rule.

I do not believe this is the case as the six year rule only comes in to it if your lodged paperwork with the courts is outside that time frame...however if you lodge your claim today, and it takes 10 years to hear your case it does not mean the banks can say you are outside the time limits as your claim was clearly lodged within the required time frame.

Well, thats what I believe is the case anyway.

Mailman

I do not believe this is the case as the six year rule only comes in to it if your lodged paperwork with the courts is outside that time frame...however if you lodge your claim today, and it takes 10 years to hear your case it does not mean the banks can say you are outside the time limits as your claim was clearly lodged within the required time frame.

Mailman

Agree - once you've issued your claim there is no statutory bar limit.

10 years? Jeez Mailman, you're optimistic ain't ya?!

;)

Mailman

Thankyou i stand corrected-i will now consider taking a few cases to the court stage and will also tell a few friends who have charges near to the six years to take the gamble.I am sure the banks are going to be given a good thrashing.Thanks again Tawnyowl.A.fine bit of information.