Samsung TV problem

caro
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5925 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a £650 TV on behalf of my mum in September. TV and DVD's are important to her as she's housebound, so for peace of mind, and against my advice she decided to pay approximately £230 for an extended warranty.

Just before Christmas the remote control packed up, so my sister took that back to Curry's and was told that it would take up to 3 weeks for a repair. Had I taken it in I would have made much more fuss I can assure you, but she accepted that. I've now bought a new all in one remote control as Mum could not operate the TV unless a carer or visitor called in, not even to switch on and off or change channel.

My son used to have a Saturday job at Dixons and feels that 3 weeks is an acceptable time for a repair but my feeling is that for £880 in total, we should have the peace of mind and a working TV and remote control for some time to come. I'm thinking of writing a letter of complaint to the manager of Currys, but am not familiar enough with SOGA to make a decent job of it. Any help would be appreciated.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think you will find that the Samsung remote controls, like many others (especially of Korean-type origin) are not repairable. The manufacturers, as a rule, give no service back up for them.

If they go faulty, they're usually replaced because it is cheaper to replace it than to pay £30 to £40 an hour plus parts to repair it.

Remember an engineer's time costs the same, whether the item is worth £500 or £5.00.

That is based on 25 years experience in the retail/rental trade.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

So are you saying we'll need to buy a new one in all probability, or will it be replaced under the guarantee do you think?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

They should replace it under guarantee, but the three weeks would be to get a replacement, not to repair the faulty one.

Might be worth contacting them and pointing out that they should be able to supply a replacement in less than three weeks.

I'm sure that they must have access to other TVs of the same type, that they could doner a RCU from.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Thanks Rooster. The girl at Currys said she's follow it up and phone me tomorrow, so I'll ask her about that. The one we got was only a tenner, but it annoys me when so much has been spent already.

Of course it's annoying. Especially as the TV is only four months old and under warranty!

Good luck.

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Thanks.:)