Repair Bill Received from Housing Association!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening everyone,

I'm a bit confused this weekend. More than usual!

Last year, we came downstairs to find a pool of water in the hallway. We sent an email to the housing association we rent from and informed them of the problem. We cleared it up but the water went through the floor tiles and parquet flooring lifting them and swelling up the wood.

About a week later, a contractor came round to have a look. He couldn't find where the leak had come from but he suspected that it came from the radiator. He came round about a week afterwards to refit the floor tiles.

Very shocked on Saturday when we were sent a £200 bill for the work!

The contractor spent less than 5 minutes on his first visit so it's hardly surprising he didn't find anything wrong. I found the problem myself a couple of days after the tiles had been refitted. There was a tiny crack at the bottom of the thermostat that got bigger as the hot water went through. I got a new thermostat at my own expense.

What I would like to know is, can the housing association bill me for this work? It's obvious we did have a water leak and it's hardly our fault that the contractor couldn't find the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Mike

Champion of the people against the evil and corrupt banking industry! :whoo:

• 2 weeks later...
Evening everyone,

I'm a bit confused this weekend. More than usual!

Last year, we came downstairs to find a pool of water in the hallway. We sent an email to the housing association we rent from and informed them of the problem. We cleared it up but the water went through the floor tiles and parquet flooring lifting them and swelling up the wood.

About a week later, a contractor came round to have a look. He couldn't find where the leak had come from but he suspected that it came from the radiator. He came round about a week afterwards to refit the floor tiles.

Very shocked on Saturday when we were sent a £200 bill for the work!

The contractor spent less than 5 minutes on his first visit so it's hardly surprising he didn't find anything wrong. I found the problem myself a couple of days after the tiles had been refitted. There was a tiny crack at the bottom of the thermostat that got bigger as the hot water went through. I got a new thermostat at my own expense.

What I would like to know is, can the housing association bill me for this work? It's obvious we did have a water leak and it's hardly our fault that the contractor couldn't find the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Hi Mike,

You rent right? Is it a house or flat and if it is a house is there anything in your rental agreemnt regarding buildings insurance? Usually this is the landlords liability unless due to negligence, which is tough to prove in all honesty.

I would first start by writing to the HA and asking what the bill is for exactly and where in your contract it states that you are responsible for water leaks?

In the meantime a trip down to your local CAB may prove worthwhile and they could well give you better insight into the matter. Did the letter state negligence or the like?

Hope that helps a bit,

Penfold

Hi Penfold,

I have been through the contract a few times to try and find out where they're coming from.

I am responsible for small works. Oiling hinges, changing locks, things like that but there is nothing specific about water leaks.

The bill states;

"Recharge - contractor callout for report of leak. No fault found"

Obviously there was a fault. Otherwise how do you explain the water damage to the floor?

I shall take your advice and contact the CAB.

Mike

Mike

Champion of the people against the evil and corrupt banking industry! :whoo: