end of tennancy / replacing consumables

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning everyone.

I am moving out of my rented flat into a new rented flat mid month.

My question is with regards to replacing things like light bulbs.

1) Shortly after moving in the light in the shaver mirror blew

2) 2 of the 3 halogen spotlights blew in the kitchen

3) 3 out of 5 lights in the sitting room blew

4) The light in the extractor hood bew

5) 2 of the Halogen spotlights in the main bedroom blew

Now after the 3 in the sitting room blew, I informed the landlord that there quite a few lights blowing around the flat.

His reply was that the lights just blew due to their "age". This was a little concern as I am the first tennant in there since the LL bought it.

I have replaced the bulbs and they have blown again - so I am going to put this down to shoddy electric works done when the house was converted into the flat.

Am I responsible to yet again replace the bulbs which I replaced a few weeks ago ?

Thanks

The short answer is yes. The longer answer is....yes. IMO, unless you can prove deficient electrics, you are responsible for these replacements.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

It does seem strange. However, you are expected to maintain the property in a "tenant like" manner - this definitely includes the replacement of light bulbs, unless this damage is cause by structural issues, which you have no proof of.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Yeah, that is true - I suppose an electical survey wouldn't go a miss but I can't afford anything if it is found that there are no problems with it. Ah well, off to the Hardware shop I go !

Hi all!

bobzac,I would just like to add:

1.I agree totally with Mr.Shed here regarding the bulbs.

HOWEVER...

2.I think you should contact your landlord to inspect the electrics as it his his duty to make sure that the electrics are sound.Going by what you are saying I do not think the electrics are sound.

3.I would suggest that you tell your landlord to inspect the electrics as the electrics being unsound could potentially be dangerous for you as his tenant and a risk to his investment.

3.Any inspection should be carried out by a proper qualified electrician.

4.Do not spend your money on anything that is not your responsibility i.e. electrician reports/surveys etc.

I hope this helps.

If you have any more questions,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

TBH, looking around at the flat without digging too deep - the whole place looks like a bodge job. There is a whole in the wall above a light switch where too much was cut out for the wires, the carpets are stuck down with glue (onto chipboard), show up everything - no matter how many times they are cleaned.

I wouldn't be surprised if something failed somewhere !

I will mention it to the estate agents when I give the keys back (with the time constraints and work, I doubt I will be present for the check out)

here are some pictures of the things I mentioned earlier.

I didn't have a camera when I moved in, so I wasn't able to photograph them - of course non of it is mentioned on the inventory - after all, why would it be ....

DSCF0069.jpg

the hole in the wall by the light switch

DSCF0071.jpg

black mark that can be followed all around the flat on the edges of the carpet - don't know if this is where they glued it or perhaps a draft - after all the floors are made of chipboard !

DSCF0072-1.jpg

The top quality floor boards upon which my carpet is "glued"

DSCF0074.jpg

and a crack where the wooden wall is attached to the brick wall

What on earth am I meant to do about this lot ?