Standing Order cancelled one month, back the next!

Sugai
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5944 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

I recently moved apartment and had to cancel the standing order for my previous address (i moved next door and i am using the same real estate agent for the new apartment btw). I asked for it to be cancelled on the day the money was withdrawn and received a refund that day. I was happy until i got back from my december holidays when i discovered that the payment had been taken again!!! it turns out they did not cancel it after all.

i logged onto the NatWest site this morning and cancelled it (i wish i had bothered to explore the site fully now...) and went into the regent street NatWest during my lunch break to get a refund. i explained to them what happened with and showed them my statement history (deductions every month on the 21st or 22nd for 6 months before hand when the standing order was in effect until november etc)

the lady said she would escalate it, took my details and said she would call me back this afternoon. she said it may be monday before i get a answer.

she didnt bother to call until 4pm so i did. i pushed harder this time and it turns out they have to ask my real estate agent for the money back... and it may take up to 5 days to accomplish. the other thing is to approach the estate agents bank direct and this may take 6 weeks!!! she even had to gall to suggest i contact the estate agent and ask for the money back from them!!!

i asked them to cancel the standing order and they did not (or did but only for a month?), money has been taken out of my account without my permission or consent, surely i should be entitled to a refund immediately?

Effectively its been stolen

i know the laws are different for standing orders and direct debits but this is ridiculous. they cock it up, don't follow my instructions to cancel, and expect me to wait for hundreds of pounds to be returned?

has anyone had similar experiences? what should i expect, how can i resolve this promptly?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and welcome to the Forums,

All you can do is try to escalate the issue like yuou have been doing. It appears these problems arise from the Bank systems "recognising" the payments and allowing them through. I recently had a problem with Abbey where when I moved my new address was not recognised by their system. As a result the address was slightly wrong and mail was returned. They stopped all my new DD's!

As a result it took 6 months on me going into the bank for this matter to finally (and I think it has been sorted now...) to sorted...

Good luck and hopefully someone who banks with NatWest will be along to let you know their experiences.

Penfold

Unfortunately NatWest in particular are notorious for this sort of thing.

Three of my children have accounts with NatWest and they are continually having this kind of problem and getting charges from other companies because of unpaid DDs as a result.

There is another way - move from NatWest!

With standing order cancellations, you need to get a receipt otherwise the bank has to write to the company asking for the money back. If there was no money owing then the Estate Agent should refund the money promptly. Always get a receipt when cancelling a standing order or Direct debit if you go into the branch in person. Or if you write in check that it is cancelled either online or by calling the branch direct which you can do during office hours, or check online, or use telephone banking. Standing orders when cancelled and not recalled(which is what I suspect happened in this case due to a possible misunderstanding) should immediately disappear off the system the following working day.