Means Testing - Payment of Fines

Wossington

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a court summons over a fare evasion case with London Buses and have been sent the MC 100 Statement of Means form, which will determine how much I would be fined given my income and outgoings (on a monthly basis).

On the same form, there is a question asking me for my total savings. As I am calculating incomings/outgoings on a monthly basis, does this mean I should put in an amount that reflects my monthly savings I make on my income or is it asking for my overall savings that I have accrued over a number of years.

The form itself gives no guidance hence I am none the wiser to put there. My overall savings are considerable, compared to my monthly income at the moment (I freelance as a writer), and think basing a fine on those savings is disproportionate to the offence itself.

I will plead guilty to the offence (another one of those Oyster card cases) as I was committing a breach of the bylaw in the case, but I don't want to be landed with a £500 fine, when I have seen other cases settled at £100 to £300 plus.

Any advice on what should be put in that savings bit of the form will be greatly received.