• Tweets

• I just got the same response from Hermes below. What would you advise I do next?    "I am sorry you have had to contact us regarding the delivery of your parcel.    I have looked into your concerns and understand that as as you selected the maximum compensation level of £300 Hermes cannot exceed this amount as per your contract.   So that we can process this as quickly as possible for you, we kindly request that you send us some details:   - your bank sort code - your bank account number (the short one, not the long card number) - your name as it appears on your bank card   Once we have received the above information, we will send you a further email once the payment has been processed. This can take up to 5 working days to reach you   Please accept my apologies for the frustration this has caused you.       If you require any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us."  
    • Hi had a call today and the number is associated with Moneyboat why would they be calling this close to the court hearing? Any ideas welcomed    Thanks G
    • Hello   In my view  a self imposed bankruptcy is not necessary.   Your friend just has to accept the situation he is in and set things up to deal with it.   I think that by following a plan off filing everything, saying nothing and letting the Creditors do all the work he will come out of it in the end.   He may need to get his girlfriend on board but once he understands what these creditors can (and cannot do) it may well become less of a worry and more of a sport!   In post #8 you asked for the stages of collection so based on my experience since 2006 I will give you the various stages and make some other comments:   You fail to meet a payment date:- the creditor writes a reminder letter You ignore the letter, they send another letter and possibly emails, SMS and phone calls, all of which are ignored. The cycle continues for a period of time with a number of letters arriving from the creditor. Sometimes the case will be handed off to a Debt collector for a time which is nothing more than a company set up to make phone calls and write automatic letters. They have no power and can be ignored. At some point the creditor will issue a Default notice. This is legally important to the Creditor (but not necessarily important to your friend as it is required by the consumer credit act before any other action is taken. It will give a date by which you must do something usually to pay the arrears. If you don’t pay the arrears then you are in Default and they can go to the next stage. After a period of some months account closure usually follows. It is unlikely the Creditor will take legal action. After a period of time where you continue to get periodic letters and communications from various debt collectors the debt is sold typically for 10p to 15p in the £ to a Debt buyer. This might take six months or as much as a couple of years. You receive a “goodbye” letter from the creditor which says it has sold the debt to the buyer. You receive a “hullo” letter from the debt buyer which tells you that I now owns the debt. Sometimes the above two are in the same envelope.   The debt buyer will start out very friendly but will then get more aggressive. Even at this stage it is best to ignore them. They will sometimes offer you an amount less than the full value to get a quick profit from their purchase. You might want to take advantage of it but I take the view that if they had a strong case to get everything why would they settle for less? They know they have a weak claim when you get this kind of letter. At some point they will do an assessment on you to decide if it is worth taking court action. The bigger the debt the more likely it is, also if you are seen to have assets such as a property or shares. They will start by instructing a solicitor to send a Letter Before Action. This states what they think you owe them and gives you a set amount of time to pay it or respond with payment proposals. It may be wise to respond at this point but best to refer it to this forum for proper advice on what to do. After you fail to respond to the above they will pay a court fee and issue a County court Claim. You will receive a claim pack from the court with a number of sheets of paper; the claim itself, an acknowledgment of service, a defence form. The claim is usually created on line with the solicitor typing in the details. The Court then automatically prints and sends the claim pack. As a result it will not have any supporting documents such as original agreements, statements or anything else. IMPORTANT: this is the first document you absolutely must respond to. First thing to do is find the paper that says acknowledgment of service and send it back. This gives you 28 days to respond instead of 14. If you don't do this or immediately defend then after 14 days you will automatically loose. After this you are into the world of defending the claim which is usually very defend-able as the Solicitor has in all likelihood not provided you with any documents. This is because neither he nor his client have any and they will have to go back to the original lender to get any and very likely they will not get them. (In my own experience I helped a friend by writing to ten creditors asking for copies of the original agreement and not one came up with anything). It is possible you could loose the case in which case you still owe the money and are not much worse of than before because the creditor still has to collect it and without assets it will take a long time to pay off.   Overall, though I don’t think it is a great idea to be in debt, given the extent to which your friend is buried my advice is to consider the old adage “If you owe a tenner it is your problem, if you owe Ten thousand it is their problem”.   To that extent I would follow this plan:   Save all correspondence including the envelopes they arrived in. Do it in chronological order and have separate folders for each debt. As a rule, ignore everything unless it comes from a solicitor or the Court. I cannot stress this enough. Be a black hole into which letters, emails, texts and phone calls disappear, never to be answered, replied to or spoken to in any way. Some people just cannot shut up! Make sure your friend does! The exception is if your friend changes address in which case write to every creditor (or debt buyer that has bought the debt) and advise of change of address WITHOUT signing the letter as such, just type the name at the bottom.   (This is so they don't send court documents to the old address). In most if not all cases that will be it. Just keep filing until six years have passed or five in Scotland. This is because after that time the debt becomes statute barred and the courts will not consider it as it has become too old. (The statue barred date begins 14 days after the date of the Default notice mentioned above and six years after that it is all over for court action). In one or two cases a Court Claim may be made in which case defend it which is a whole other ball game but basically ask them for proof of the debt which they very likely cannot provide, if they can provide challenge it's enforceability,  mostly it's game over for them.   Your friend can start to get on with his life if he follows this plan and learns to accept that these debts are not necessarily the millstone he thinks. He can live within his means and have a good and fun life which is what he deserves. The original creditors have accepted some money from the debt buyer so presumably are happy and the debt buyer will make a profit across the whole bunch of debts he bought even if he makes nothing from your friend so he is happy. If nether of them are happy then they should not have got themselves into the situation in the first place.   As always I finish my comments by saying I am not a legal professional just a guy that got into to trouble in 2006 and learned a lot of this stuff along the way.   I welcome any comments from other CAGers, particularly if they spot any mistakes.
    • There were 1,348 company insolvencies recorded in August 2021 in England and Wales, according to the latest figures published by the Insolvency ServiceView the full article
    • Do not appeal. Please can you complete the questions below. If their NTK is wrong they cannot transfer the liability to pay from the driver to the keeper. If they do not know the name of the driver then they are stuck. No-one to claim the money from. In any event most of the roads on the airport  either come under the Road Traffic Act or the airport Byelaws. if they do then not even the driver is liable since Apcoa has no right to issue tickets for either of those type of roads. But they still do and people still pay them.     
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

Vodaphone Offer.I will get turned down!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a call today from Vodaphone. I am a pay as you talk customer, not a contract customer. I was asked how much a spend each month (as they had info in front of them regarding how many text mesages and the numbers I call regularly I suspect they knew the answer to this one:rolleyes: )

Anyway to cut a long story short they offered me a much better deal for my monthly top up. She said it was NOT a contract and so could be cancelled at 30 days notice. It would be paid by direct debit. As the amount was slightly less than I pay anyway each month it seemed like a good deal as I would be getting near enough twice as much for my usual top up cost. I decided to go for it but then she said they would need to do a credit check. She is ringing me back later today as I did not have my bank details with me.

Now the thing is, I know I will be turned down because of my credit history situation but I dont understand why they need to credit check me, Im not asking for credit and it, in her words, isnt a contract.

Whats really bugging me is that if I agreed to pay the £15 a month by direct debit instead of topping up as I usually do I would get so much more for my money. Now I feel as if, when I get turned down as I assume I will, I will be being ripped off. Im tempted to tell her that I will change to anyother pay as you go provider if they will not accept me. I dont want any credit from them, I didnt ring them, they rang me with the offer. Why should I have to pay more than necessary for the same service they have offered because I have a bad credit rating. Just wondered what others think?

Hey,

I think you'll find you're getting a credit check because although you are not beginning a 12/18/24 month contract, you are going on to a month-to-month contract. Because you would be paying via direct debit in return for mins/texts, instead of topping up first, Vodafone want to be sure that you will actually be paying the monthly amount. If you see it from Vodafone's point of view, you will be getting your mins/texts renewed every month, and if you don't pay one month you do not get cut off immediately, so they stand to lose out if they have to pursue you for payment all the time.

You can tell the Vodafone salewoman that if they do not accept you then you will go to another payg provider if you want, but that will not make them override all of their credit policies just to keep one customer.

I do understand what you are saying lawbunny. Its just so frustrating because I already spend more a month with them than they are asking for and I would be paying for the month in advance. It just seems that if you are well off you get all the perks and if you are struggling you get knocked back even more. If they can give me X number of texts and minutes for a certain sum why should I be penalised because I choose to pay in advance which is what Pay as you go is.

Yes it is a case of the less well off pay more for things generally.

If you have not done so already you should see if you can tidy up or repair your credit history. You history may contain incorrect information or that which you can do something about.

Go here to obtain a copy of the your credit report.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

This is one of the reasons I started a petition on the 10 downing street site for the prime minister to force companies to only use credit scoring or checking for applications for credit made under the consumer credit act. Unfortunately it only got 18 signatures

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court