PCN - AS Securi-T

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4957 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a Parking Charge Notice on the windscreen of my car from A S Securi-T, after parking for just over an hour in a Staples/Currys car park. I think this is a new arrangement as I have parked there a couple of times previously, usually whilst shopping at Staples. I was the driver and am also the registered keeper. The fine is £70 rising to £94 if I don't pay in 14 days. The notice was issued because I did not visit the providers premises (which is correct, I did not). AS Securi-T site photographic evidence just after I parked and about 10 minutes before I returned. Before AS Securi-T were employed, there were notices on the entrance and outside the shop saying "This car park is for use by Staples/curry's customers only". After I took the ticket off my windscreen, I looked around and noticed new signs which I assume say that AS Securi-T will issue a charge notice if you park there without using the premises (although I didn't go and look).

Having read this site, I gather AS Securi-T is one of the companies who have instigated court action.

Whilst it is a fair cop, I think £70 is unreasonable! So, have I understood the situation re: PCN's correctly? - it is the driver (not RK) who enters a contract when he parks in a private car park. If they can prove that I was the driver and did not visit the store, they would be likely to win a court case? If they cannot prove I was the driver, then I would be likely to win a court case (if I use the template letters on this site). In other words, should I cough up or is it worth fighting? I don't particularly want a CCJ against me for the sake of £70.

Thanks in advance for any advice from the forum.

You are a long way from getting a CCJ - so rest easy.

Don't make contact with them until you receive a letter in the post - then use the template letters from this site.

Pete Jones who wrote the guide to private parking companies on this site has also started a thread asking for people who have a "ticket" from AS-SecuriT to contact him. The thread can be found here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/122102-securi-t-read-if.html.

Mike

The 'ticket' issued by AS SecuriT is nothing more than an invoice - it has no legal force in law as a parking ticket.

It is little more than a [problem] that relies on people's confusion with a lawful ticket and just paying it.

In order to produce this invoice, they are relying in the driver having formed an implied contract by parking after having read the signs - the act of parking signalling acceptance of the contract. For this to stand up in a court of law, the signs must be obvious, sufficient and wordwd correctly.

MikeBigg's post provides you with te link to Pete's advice - which will provide you with all the background that you need. The other linked thread refers specifically to AS-SecuriT.

What we need to see is photos of the signs showing the details and further, the locations in the car park (IOW are the so obvious as to be unavoidable); whether the signs were obvious and readable from either where you drove in or where you parked.

Lastly, you are a long, long way from a CCJ. You may wish to contact Pete direct for advice, should it come to a small claims summons

• 1 month later...

I received the inevitable letter and used the template confirming I was the RK and advising they take the matter up with the driver. Immediately got a reply outlining the reason for the fine as if I had written to appeal, advising my appeal is unsuccessful and advising they will pass to their collections department.

Assume, I just write another letter, acknowledging their reply but emphasising that I have not appealed but pointed out that the contract is with the driver not the RK?

Having recently visited the store where I got the fine and bought a TV for £475, do you think I should write to the store manager and complain about being harrassed by their private parking contractor?