Garages Fault - Full Price Billed Again!

viper3k
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Heya all,

My first post - so I hope I get it right!

I recently had some work done on my car - an engine bracket managed to pull it's way through the wheel arch. I took it to the garage and they charged me 2 hours labour to fix the problem by welding a new plate on and using the original bracket. At the same time they did a diagnostics test on my car (requested) but found nothing... and still charged me their diagnostics fee (which I guess is normal).

4 days later going round a round a bout their work failed and the bracket pulled through again. I took the car back to them, and they said they'll fix it under 'goodwill', then rung me up to say it will cost me 2 hours labour and £70 parts. Another call and they said the parts have gone down to £30 but the 2hours labour still stands.

All in all, I paid for 4hours labour and a part that should have been sourced in the first place!

Can anyone tell me what I should do? I have already complained to them, as well as arguing in person. But the fact I needed my car back made me decide to pay up straight away.

Hi Viper,welcome

If they had charged you 4Hrs + £70.00 parts in the first place would this have been OK?

Maybe they were trying to help you out by trying a smaller repair, it didn't work out but at least they tried. If they charge full up the first time they get accused of ripping folks off, if they try a smaller repair to keep the cost down and it fails they get accused of double billing, sometimes these smaller repairs work, sometimes not. We can't win.

Why was the engine diagnostics asked for? Was there a fault and why do you think they should do this for nothing?

Hammy

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Thank you for your reply.

Seeing as they didn't specify it was a 'temporary repair' and didn't offer a more permanent solution in the first place, I don't see why I would have to pay for their mistake. Both times they said it was going to take 2 hours for the welding, I would have been happy to pay 2 Hours + parts in the first instance, and even accepted the permanent repair if they had told me in the first place too.

Not fighting the diagnostic test - as I requested it to be done to find something, so they provided a service in doing so - even if they didn't find anything. My argument lies with them charging me to repair their mistake.

Oakey Dokey, don't want to get into a fight on the first day of 2008 :)

I wasn't suggesting it was a temporary repair, I was suggesting a smaller more economical, permanent repair. It didn;t work out though :(

Nice location name

Hammy

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Ah. I still have a nice little headache, so am pretty snappy - so I apologise if I sounded off!

The funny thing is, when I took the car back to the garage they said 'Oh, I didn't realise this would happen'. Considering they are a new garage (well, 3 months old) I was a bit iffy going to them in the first place, but a friend recommended me.

Heh, it is a real place - honest! Round here we got Curry Rivel, theres North Curry and Curry Mallet too!

Happy 2008 :)

If they had charged you 4Hrs + £70.00 parts in the first place would this have been OK?

Maybe they were trying to help you out by trying a smaller repair, it didn't work out but at least they tried. If they charge full up the first time they get accused of ripping folks off, if they try a smaller repair to keep the cost down and it fails they get accused of double billing, sometimes these smaller repairs work, sometimes not. We can't win.

Perhaps they should have contacted the customer to discuss this before deciding for themselves what action to take...?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say you have been ripped off mate. They did a bad repair which should have been put right free of charge, they then charged you for their mistake after saying that it would be fixed for free.

Thats what happened, no matter how you look at it.

And for Hammy1962's comment about a garage trying to save the customer money! Surely that was a joke.

No actually, it wasn't a joke. I make much more money doing lots of smaller, more economical repairs than I do with more difficult long winded repairs. Volume on a smaller return you see.

Don't assume all garages just try and get the biggest repair possible out of the poor customer. There are easier ways of making good money without ripping folks off.

Hammy

GARUDALINUX.ORG

I wrote them a nice letter (as verbal communication with the people @ the office didnt get anywhere). They called me the other day saying they did everything 'professionally' and such (spoke to the same guy I argued with...) and said 'they are not worried about me taking further action'. Instead they are offering me a free MOT and discount on parts. My argument is over £86 worth of charges, and an MOT nowadays costs barely £25... so not sure if I should accept it.

I would take further action, you have dated receipts I assume, with a description of work carried out on both occasions.

Remember they said they would fix it for free which shows they were at fault, but then charged you once they had your car and had probably already done the work.