• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

CCAs post April 2007

charlotty21
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5580 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening comrades. I have today emailed the Information Commissioners Office requesting a "second stage case review" in order to have a default removed. The story is that after having done a CCA request to RBS Card Srevices they could not produce the agreement. Consequently after them trying to wiggle out of their contravention of the Act they eventually discharged the balance of the credit card account! However, they would not remove the default that they put on my CRA file. I then went through the formal process with the Information Commissioners Office basing my complaint on the total lack of a CCA which I considered barred RBS from processing my data.

The Information Commissioners Office then after having stated that S127(3) of the Act did in their view prevent the CRA from registering the default went on to state that the 2006 Act repealed s 127 (3) amongst other things and that I could not challenge the data held on file.

As a result of the information gleaned from Paul, showing clearly that S 127 (3) had not been repealed I submitted this to the Information Commissioners Office. So now I await a result and will keep you posted.

Something I have noticed is that when asking certain parties for a CCA they have referred to the Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 SI 1557. they then state that they can supply a copy without certain information e.g. signature box etc as contained within S 3 (2a)....

My interpretation of this section is that it refers to pre-contractual aspects of the Act.

Any views or comments?

Interesting, because I read a post a few days ago (sorry, can't find the link right now - too many subscriptions!) saying that the ICO was taking an "office view" that any irrevocably unenforceable debt under s.127(3) should have it's Default removed as being totally inaccurate.

If that's the case, you're right to ask for the initial (monkey!) decision to be reviewed! (Hopefully, an organ grinder will get to look at your complaint now!)

;)

I'll post the link when I come across the thread again, as the OP posted up part of a letter from the ICO saying this was the decision he was applying.

Hmmm... Inconsistency from a regulator? Surely not!

:p

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, it was me who posted the edited section from the ICO. They did state that S127 (3) meant that an agreement falling under this part of the Act should not be recorded with the CRAs. However, whilst admitting that this was the "office view" they then stated that because of the repeal of S127 (3) within the new 2006 Act, the situation had now changed. they were of the view that the 2006 Act was retrospective, which is not the case.

So I was extremely pleased to be able to counter their misinterpretation of the new Act, and accordingly have now informed them that their legal team are wrong. Therefore, if they follow their office line, they must enforce removal of data with the CRAs. I am waiting to hear their response.

When I spoke to the ICO they stated that the reason for forming their "office view" statement with regards to S127 (3) CCA 1974 was as a result of the Consumer Action Group. in fact, the lady in question had been told that there were some non-complimentary comments about her on the CAG web site, but she hadn't seen them herself!

Oh we have become famous.

Must mean we are good at what we do.

:D

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Running scared you mean?

Or, perhaps, they have decided to do their jobs properly as most CAG members are having to turn to the Court to enforce their rights - which probably means less work/staff/funding for the ICO!

I have had similar replies from ICO on default processing by dca's and my creditors defence which they said to the judge also was that they could still place a default on file even if agreement is unenforceable, obviously I will argue against but some concrete case ref etc would be great to have, I know cca 2006 is not retrospective and worked that into the poc just in case?!

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

Hi maybelline. I am interested in what you say. I think it could be argued that the only legal mechanism that gives creditors any right to process data is when we sign the executed credit agreement. There is no statute that actually allows the processing of our data by Credit Reference Agencies - it has become custom-and-practice, or so it seems. If there is no credit agreement at all, then I fail to see how any party could argue that you have agreed to anything. Use of a credit facility, or whatever, does not imply acceptance of any terms of a contarct. As the OFT have said in their letter to me; if the agreement is irrevocably unenforceable in terms of S127 (3) of the Act then the CRAs do not have a right to process the data pertaining to that agreement. Have you actually tried to enforce your rights in the court?

waiting for the hearing date but also did older agreements have anything on giving permission to process my data, I suspect not, but the main point that I want the court to pick up on is, agreement totally unenforceable and security has to be removed, then surely is absolute nonsense to then be able to process any kind of default.

'rise like lions after slumber, in unvanquishable number, shake your chains to the earth like dew, which in sleep had fall'n on you, ye are many, they are few.' Percy Byshse Shelly 1819

Sorry, I said OFT in my reply, I should have said ICO. What did the ICO say to you? On the basis that their official "office line" is that the CRAs should not process data, as I said earlier, then, could you not use that official view in court? The creditor and the CRAs surely have to comply with that. I am currently waiting to see if the ICO will comply with my request to have a party cease processing my data.

The Data Protection Act requires consent to process the data - consent is taken to have a wide meaning by the ICO, so the fact that you probably agreed to the terms of the agreement means they may have an implied consent to process.

This isn't my opinion, but just setting you up for the response you get from the ICO - this response seems to have been changing recently, as decisions are being challenged and reversed.

IMHO, without an executed agreement, there can be no lawful default, so no Default can exist and therefore any consent is void as the lender can't claim a legitimate interest in processing the data.

Incidentally, the CRA's claim a legitimate interest in process your data, without your permission, based on the need to provide credit check data to their customers, with whom you have a contractual obligation to and have consented to their sharing of your data. This too isn't my opinion, as the above applies to these CRA's as well - they just don't seem to accept it as that.

yes, sharing is consented to when sign agreement, however, if agreement is unenforceable and the info on it inaccurate, nothing is owed as sums paid cover what would be legally due if the sums, interest rates had been done lawfully and in the correct way, surely in those circumstances, registering a default stating you owe the 'whole sum' which is made up of a variety of unlawful fees, charges, insurance etc is very wrong

just took a quick look at the ICO reply re the default I have complained about to them, answer, DPA complied with.:(

There's a difference in how Consumer Law and Data Protection Law applies though - if an agreement in unenforceable under Consumer Law, that doesn't necessarily mean that any consent to process under that agreement is void at Data Protection Law. In fact, the creditors are claiming they have a legitimate interest in processing your data even if the agreement is unenforceable, as the "debt" still exists and needs to be paid - if they do have a legitimate processing, they don't require your consent. (Back to the CRA processing argument)

The ICO's view on how the DPA is applied doesn't rely on any of the legalities under the CCA, which is why it's best to progress a claim with the Court, who has to take a hollistic approach to the issue, rather than focussing solely on the DPA and ignoring the CCA completely.

This has been raging on for sometime though - see here;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/data-protection-default-issues/111211-defaults-background-removal-methods.html

yes, succinctly put thanks

whoopeeee - just spoken to local court, now have a listing SMALL CLAIMS! ha!

not posting dates on open forum:):):)

What is interesting though, is that the ICO have told me in writing that where an agreement is irrevocably unenforceable with reference to S127(3) of the Act, then, their "office view" is that the debt /default should not be recorded with the CRAs. They were however, under the misconception that the 2006 Act is retrospective and that it repealed S127 (3). This of course, is not the case. I have now informed them of this, and referred them to the relevant legislation. I now await their response to my request to have the default removed, as per their "office line". In my case, the creditor, RBS, could not retrieve the agreement from their archive. Accordingly, they discharged the debt but maintained that they could record the default balance "as satisfied". I disputed this with them, on the basis that there was no evidence of any agreement at all. Therefore, they had no explicit evidence that I had given permission to process my data.

I take your points on-board, but if the creditor has breached contract, then how can the debtor breach a contract that has already been breached?

yes agree, how can an agreement that either cannot be proved to have existed or is unenforceable then be used as the underlying basis for recording a default of said agreement, flies in the face of logic and common sense, what s that thing about 'any reasonable person' or the consumer credit act being a social document, if so, not meant for creditors to continue to batter their 'customers' with?

I think I've answered this above, but I'll clarify again - the DPA doesn't require consent or evidence of consent to process your data. Under the Act "an act" of contracting with another party that result in a debt means that party has a legitimate interest in processing your data (and, to a lesser extent, sharing that data with CRA's for credit/risk/crime avoidance reasons) - the fact the agreement is unenforceable (which is a remedy under the CCA for non-compliance with it's prescribed method of contracting with you) is irrelevant to the fact that you did indeed contract with that party and received a benefit.

Basically, the DPA would be satisfied by an agreement (albeit unenforceable in a Court due to the CCA) showing that you had an agreement with the Bank and received a benefit under it.

The Court - if they didn't take a hollistic approch, in the same way the ICO has done in the past - would have to decide that there was a contract, that you must have agreed to it to receive the benefit you did and that there were contractual obligations under that agreement. Evidence of this would be the original loan amount being advanced, or drawing on a running credit account and making payments against the account while the creditor charges interest to it.

The law of contract is totally separate to Consumer Law - consumer law adds extra protections for the consumer, as they are a disadvantage when contracting with a lender. This has no effect on the contract itself, as the debt still exists, so the lender will claim it is entitled to report data as per the contract.

There is also a difference between a "default" and a "Default"; a default is a breach of the terms of the agreement, not necessarily relating to making regular payments, (such as selling a vehicle which is security under a HP agreement) but breaching any term in the contract. A Default is an entry on your CRA file showing you've breached the agreement. A default doesn't necessarily need a Default and, to add to the confusion, a Default doesn't necessarily rely on a default occurring! (Where the contract allows the creditor to default/Default/Terminate the agreement without you being in breach)

This is a complicated area of law - and it's like comparing apples and oranges when putting contract and consumer law side-by-side and trying to explain it to a layperson - but I can see where the ICO comes from in their view.

Just be pleased that the Court is bound by the CCA, (which is regulated by the FOS) which is outside of the remit of the DPA, so he doesn't have to take that in to consideration. The ICO also only offers opinions on whether the DPA has been breached - which we (now) know.

thanks car, thats very helpful, it is confusing as you say, so many different areas but I take note that the court only has to consider the CCA (FOS, anyone had any assistance from them on this issue, I wonder), thanks.

the fact the agreement is unenforceable (which is a remedy under the CCA for non-compliance with it's prescribed method of contracting with you) is irrelevant to the fact that you did indeed contract with that party and received a benefit.

Basically, the DPA would be satisfied by an agreement (albeit unenforceable in a Court due to the CCA) showing that you had an agreement with the Bank and received a benefit under it.

My counter arguement to this would be a contract in this case has to be in writing when one lends to the consumer above a certain amount for longer than a certain period then the contract cannot be implied or otherwise. If what you are saying is correct then why do the lenders even bother to put the bit about data sharing in their agreements. I have seen several applications forms that has no reference to data sharing where does one stand then. I am not talking about unexecuted or unenforceable agreements, there are application forms with no mention of data sharing.

Infact upto now I have actually taken the same view as you, but as time goes by I am thinking this can't be right.

What is the use of S10.

Look at my thread for further http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/data-protection-default-issues/127919-does-s10-serve-any.html

My counter arguement to this would be a contract in this case has to be in writing when one lends to the consumer above a certain amount for longer than a certain period then the contract cannot be implied or otherwise. If what you are saying is correct then why do the lenders even bother to put the bit about data sharing in their agreements. I have seen several applications forms that has no reference to data sharing where does one stand then. I am not talking about unexecuted or unenforceable agreements, there are application forms with no mention of data sharing.

Infact upto now I have actually taken the same view as you, but as time goes by I am thinking this can't be right.

What is the use of S10.

Look at my thread for further http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/data-protection-default-issues/127919-does-s10-serve-any.html

They include the terms to share data as it's a criminal offence to share data about a data subject without their express written permission under s.35 DPA.

s.10 is about stopping processing causing damage - there has to be some processing in order to even consider s.10.

Note: This isn't my view - I'm explaining how I think the ICO has come to their opinion. I actually think it's wrong, as you've mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eddie

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the forum. However, attached is the scanned page from the Information Commissioners Office regarding defaults.

Flash

( Sorry about the size of the image - how do I make it bigger?)

Untitled(1).jpg

are u on photobucket?

If so scan into there and post up the last code then you will gwt a big copy of your letter.

Chrissi

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.