Penalty Charges on Trains

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I heard a barrister talking on the radio the other day who said that no one has to pay a penalty for not having a Train Ticket if a person was unable to buy one ie because there is a queue at the station or the station office was closed.
I heard a newsreader talking on the radio the other day who said that
!...:eek::rolleyes:

...the rail companies have never taken any one to court for fare dodging
??...Oh right...I suppose I must have dreamt MY Court visits as a prosecution witness then eh??...:rolleyes:

...most people are honest it is only the minority otherwise why wasn't mrs C Blair charged.
Mrs C Blair paid the Penalty Fare Charge BEFORE Court proceedings were instigated...:rolleyes:

BBC News | EUROPE | Ticketless Mrs Blair fined for

BBC News | UK POLITICS | PM's wife pays penalty fare

BBC News | UK | Tickets please: Fair's fare

BBC News | UK | Your job's worth more than you are

Methinks someone shouldn't wander too far from mummykins!...;)

...:)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cr*p link provided by above Poster...:rolleyes:

Methinks THIS one is much more preferable...

Ah yes, THAT link to the truth of the matter works MUCH better lol

I heard a newsreader talking on the radio the other day who said that
!...:eek:

Oh no, it's the end of the world. :o Naughty rail travellers who have HAD ENOUGH and have the TEMERITY to rebel against the omnipotent rail companies are refusing en masse (c'mon folks, join me do!!) to pay ....

penalty fares ....

because the services provided on stations fall short of customer expectations and professional stadards

.... blimey :cool:

??...Oh right...I suppose I must have dreamt MY Court visits as a prosecution witness then eh??...

Dream a little dream ...

Mrs C Blair paid the Penalty Fare Charge BEFORE Court proceedings were instigated...

BBC News | EUROPE | Ticketless Mrs Blair fined for

BBC News | UK POLITICS | PM's wife pays penalty fare

BBC News | UK | Tickets please: Fair's fare

BBC News | UK | Your job's worth more than you are

She was hiding behind her newdpaper, 'cos, like the Queen, she never carries money with her !!!

Methinks someone shouldn't wander too far from mummykins!...

Penalty fares are meant to discourage and prevent fare evasion ....

Then why is it that it is more likely to be suits and women that get done?

The answer is that most RPI's now work on their own (a "commercial" decision by the railway co). So if you are a scroat who threatens violence, the advice is just to get them to write their name and address on your pad (whether false or not) so other customers see you doing something then move onto an easier target. The railway co do not want staff to "put themselves at risk".

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

MTM it was not a link but a quote.sorry

here's another one.

"Oh right...I suppose I must have dreamt MY Court visits as a prosecution witness then eh??..."

tipical, what a model citizen you are ! not, I hope they piad you well in expences or did you decline them for the greater good.

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.

...Typical, what a model citizen you are ! Not. I hope they paid you well in expenses or did you decline them for the greater good?

The Railways (Penalty Fares) Regulations 1994

The Railways (Penalty Fares) (Amendment) Regulations 2005

I suppose previously being paid for upholding the Laws of this Sceptred Isle was wrong was it??...:o :rolleyes:

Then why is it that it is more likely to be suits and women that get done?

The answer is that most RPI's now work on their own (a "commercial" decision by the railway co). So if you are a scroat who threatens violence, the advice is just to get them to write their name and address on your pad (whether false or not) so other customers see you doing something then move onto an easier target. The railway co do not want staff to "put themselves at risk".

TOTALLY unsubstantial Post!!!...:rolleyes:

...by a 'Letting Agent' no less...;)

...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Esio. I don't even think they would do that.. they mainly only ever go for easy targets

MTM

I suppose previously being paid for upholding the Laws of this Sceptred Isle was wrong was it??...

how sad is that! I have been on a train when some kid has not had enoughmoney to pay for a ticket and I have paid it for them and received a thank you letter from their parents, That's a model citizen, not! some one who stands by and lets a person be labeled a thief because they could not afford the cost of a ride home.

Yes I know it was a gang of Hoodies etc :rolleyes:

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.

Yes PB, I seen the FULL written article also...;)

BBC NEWS | England | Fare strikers target rail service

...Soooo typical of Bristol Trouble Makers!...:p

Noticed how the 'Rebellion' crumbled, when they realised that resistance was futile though?!...:)

...:D

Weakling South Westerners ... it was almost worth the while trundling down to Bath Spa to take part with one of the faux tickets, I wouldn't have crumbled ... what larks :D;)

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody advise me to the South West trains policy for penalty fares/’fare dodging’.

I was stopped without a valid ticket and the inspector had reason to believe that it was my intention to avoid paying. He wrote a lengthy report of our exchange and said he would be reporting this matter to South West trains who would then send me a letter.

He said that he could have asked me to pay a penalty fair but, as I denied trying to avoid paying altogether when he first approached me, the matter would be reported instead. I tried to determine the procedures that follow but he was not at liberty to discuss this. Can I expect a court summons, a £1000 fine, a criminal record or just a penalty notice in the post? I have no idea what happens now.

They have clear evidence that I tried to avoid paying in the form of a ticket that didn’t cover my whole journey. However they also have evidence that it’s my first offence as my oyster card (now in their possession) had expired the day before.

I won’t bore you with the circumstances behind my non payment but any response would be welcome. Thank you.

Hehe now I want to know the complex answer :D

aaaaaahhhhh

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Can anybody advise me to the South West trains policy for penalty fares/’fare dodging’.

I was stopped without a valid ticket and the inspector had reason to believe that it was my intention to avoid paying. He wrote a lengthy report of our exchange and said he would be reporting this matter to South West trains who would then send me a letter.

He said that he could have asked me to pay a penalty fair but, as I denied trying to avoid paying altogether when he first approached me, the matter would be reported instead. I tried to determine the procedures that follow but he was not at liberty to discuss this. Can I expect a court summons, a £1000 fine, a criminal record or just a penalty notice in the post? I have no idea what happens now.

They have clear evidence that I tried to avoid paying in the form of a ticket that didn’t cover my whole journey. However they also have evidence that it’s my first offence as my oyster card (now in their possession) had expired the day before.

I won’t bore you with the circumstances behind my non payment but any response would be welcome. Thank you.

Did he ask you to pay the fare? If so, did you pay it?

Why do they have clear evidence you tried to avoid paying? Did you just forget to re-new your ticket?

Usually its unlikely that you would be prosecuted for trying to avoid payment, as they would have to prove that was your intention. In order to protect yourself somewhat, I would recommend you make a subject access request for the whole 8-weeks of travel history that TfL hold on you (assuming your Oyster card is registered). You could use this as evidence as part of your defence in court if it ever got that far.

You may still have some strict liability under railway bylaws which state you must have a valid ticket. In this case, it would unlikely be in the public interest (and their benefit) for them to prosecute you. If they decided to prosecute under railway bylaws get a solicitor and settle out-of court... as you could make it more worthwhile for them by compensating them directly as an alternative to going to court.

thank you for your reply

Did he ask you to pay the fare? If so, did you pay it?

No he didn't ask me. When he initially approached me I didn't admit to having been on the train therefore, when it was later proven I was, he said the matter shall be reported and the chance to pay for my ticket had passed.

Why do they have clear evidence you tried to avoid paying? Did you just forget to re-new your ticket?

Because I had a SW trains ticket only covering part of my journey. I was going to renew and use my oyster card once I got to the underground. He questioned how I had got past the barriers at my departure station and I was honset and showed him the ticket which he confiscated as 'evidence'.

Usually its unlikely that you would be prosecuted for trying to avoid payment, as they would have to prove that was your intention. In order to protect yourself somewhat, I would recommend you make a subject access request for the whole 8-weeks of travel history that TfL hold on you (assuming your Oyster card is registered). You could use this as evidence as part of your defence in court if it ever got that far.

Given the facts in his possession and the statement he has wriiten, intent on my part appears to be as clear as day. All my reasons would be seen as circumstances/hypothetical not facts. I wouldn't so much like a way out of this, more so I'd like to know what happens if they prosecute? Whats the likely punishment?

I can obtain tfl records showing that my oyster expired the day before and that this hasn't happened before would this mean more leniency is shown?

Hang on, this Oyster card which had "expired"....

did this contain a travel card which had expired the day before?

and, had this still been valid on the day would this ticket have covered the whole of the journey you had not paid for (ie would it have had enough zones) ?

Hang on, this Oyster card which had "expired"....

did this contain a travel card which had expired the day before?

and, had this still been valid on the day would this ticket have covered the whole of the journey you had not paid for?

This was an oyster monthly travel card which had expired the day before. It would have been valid for the whole journey.

Then you never intended to evade the fare.... i'm guessing the only reason you travelled without a ticket was that you were unable to buy a Travelcard on Oyster at the National Rail station, yet you had intended to buy one all along when you got to your destination. You should make a subject access request and get the information stored on your Oyster card.

Thats not to say you havent comitted an offence under bylaws.... but if they try and prosecute you for fare evasion under Regulation of Railways Act 1889, you must see a solicitor. I fail to see how they could prove you had intended to evade the fare.

I'm guessing SWT may write to you and ask for your explanation of events, or you may just get a summons.

Then you never intended to evade the fare.... i'm guessing the only reason you travelled without a ticket was that you were unable to buy a Travelcard on Oyster at the National Rail station, yet you had intended to buy one all along when you got to your destination. You should make a subject access request and get the information stored on your Oyster card.

Thats not to say you havent comitted an offence under bylaws.... but if they try and prosecute you for fare evasion under Regulation of Railways Act 1889, you must see a solicitor. I fail to see how they could prove you had intended to evade the fare.

I'm guessing SWT may write to you and ask for your explanation of events, or you may just get a summons.

You are right. Had the ability to buy an Oyster travelcard existed at the National Rail station I would have bought my monthly travelcard there. I intended to do so at my destination but was stopped by the inspector before I could do so.

The problem I have is that I purchased a ticket at the National Rail station and used it to get past the barriers. This ticket was not valid for the whole journey. I doubt they'd be interested in my reasons for purchasing a ticket that didn't cover the full journey. Going on the facts i did not have a valid ticket.

Also, the statement produced by the inspector amounted to an admission of guilt. I did not have the time or inclination to argue with him as I was by then almost an hour late for work. Also, all the facts were against me and I had already initially told him I wasn't on the train (more out of panic than any attempt to deceive).

I understand you are not a lawyer but appreciate your replies nonetheless.

You signed a statement admitting your guilt? I wouldnt know what to suggest in that case, and would recommend you see speak to a solicitor as soon as possible to get some advice.

There is a difference between not having a valid ticket, and intending to evade the fare.

were you forced to sign the statement?

Did you feel threatened to sign the statement?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

If there not interested in your reasons for not buying a ticket then a judge may.

It would be logical to seek the advice of an individual or a firm regulated by the law society.

please bare in mind the inspector may of been following instructions from his line manager. who may have been given naff advice.

I'm not concerned so much about proving who was right and wrong or avoiding a penalty charge or a court fine. I understand that the facts say i was not in possesion of a valid ticket etc.

I'm concerned with having a criminal record for this.