• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

My Bank Being Silly

BigNick2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5932 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

A Few months ago I re-negotiated a loan with my bank. I paid of nearly all the outstanding balance with a refund of charges, and reduced monthly repayments by 50%. Wouldve thought this would be simple but since then every month since may Ive been pesred by their collections department saying the loan is in arrears, depsite the fact Ive been making payments every month on time. One of their software systems is showing that I should still be repaying at the higher amount apparalently.

I sent a letter recorded delivery to their complaints dept last month detailing what has happened, asking for £25 compensation for every month they have messed me around (totalling £125) and to have my phone number removed from their records, quoting the administration of justice act and undue pressure from creditors.

I got a quick reply, very apologetic, saying the problem had been solved, offering me a goodwill gesture of £125 and assuring me i wouldnt be contacted by phone in future.

Got a call yesterday from their collections department, saying again my loan is in arrears! Should I go to the ombusman now? Really dont know how to sort this out.

Was this in writing ? If so, send a copy to the Collections Dept by rec. delivery....

Yup Ive got everything in writing. Thats a good idea, ill see if I can get the adress next time they call. (Ive had nothing whatsooever in writing from their collections dept bizzarely, so dont have the addy)

That should stop them calling, but it doesnt solve the prob of them saying im in arrears when im not. I keep getting told the probs been fixed, when it hasnt been.

Yup Ive got everything in writing. Thats a good idea, ill see if I can get the adress next time they call. (Ive had nothing whatsooever in writing from their collections dept bizzarely, so dont have the addy)

That should stop them calling, but it doesnt solve the prob of them saying im in arrears when im not. I keep getting told the probs been fixed, when it hasnt been.

Once they receive the copy letter, then they no longer have any grounds to say you're in arrears IMO. Meanwhile, don't get into any more 'phone conversations other than to get their address. Once you have this, tell them to expect a letter in the post and hang up.

:)

Send the copy of the letter along with a note stating if you receive one more call again you'll complain to the Financial Services Ombudsman (for harrassment) and the Information Commissioner (for misuse of your personal data). Ask them to confirm in writing they have deleted your number from their system.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a phone call from a manager on new years eve, she assured me all has been sorted and when i asked if this would have affected my credit recrod she replied 'definitely not.'

Just got my credit report through and guess what - payments recorded as late for every month since re-negotiaitng the loan!!

What should be my course of action now? I feel like ive exhausted the banks in-house complaints procedure,I keep talking to them and im getting nowhere.

Ive written a letter of complaint (again!), if anyones got any comments Id really appreciate it:

Dear Sir(s),

I write, following previous correspondence with yourselves (see attachment 1 which shows my initial complaint and your reply). The promptness of your reply, and the apologies therein were greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, since that correspondence, and my assurances this matter has been resolved, I received yet another call from your collections department in the last week of December 2007. I was again informed that this account was in arrears. Following that I had a phone call from a manager at your Reading Branch (on the 31/12/07) informing me that she personally was going to ensure that this matter was resolved. I asked her if my credit rating would have been affected by all of this, and she replied in the negative.

The phone call from your collections department, after receiving written assurances from yourselves (see attachment 1) that this matter had been resolved, leads me to believe that it has, in fact, not been resolved.

I have recently received a copy of my credit report from Experian (at my expense) to check that it reflects payments on this loan have been made in full, and on time, every month since re-negotiation in May 2007. It shows late payments every month since re-negotiation of this loan (see attachment 2 section C4).

As this is due entirely to HSBC’s negligence, I trust you will contact all credit references you pass information to in order to correct this information, and forward written proof to me that this has been done.

I also request that HSBC compensate me for this defamation, and clear breach of the Data Protection Act. The 4th principle of this act states that:

‘Personal data should be accurate, and where necessary kept up to date.’

By informing credit referencing agencies that payments were in arrears, when they were not, and passing on this inaccurate information HSBC has clearly breached the act, and acted in a negligent manner. Because HSBC have continuously, despite complaints, managed this loan in a negligent manner, and have broken data protection regulations in a manner which must be regarded as defamation, I request that you write of the outstanding balance of this loan (as of today, 11/01/08, this stands at £483.34) as compensation. I am sure that the financial ombudsman would agree.

This clear breach of the data protection act has caused months of stress, inconvenience, and actual financial cost to myself, as I am sure you can appreciate.

Thanking you in advance for your reply,

This looks fine to me & covers everything. If you don't get any joy go the FOS route. On thecred ref side of things if this isn't sorted you can escalate to the Information Commissioner:

Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane

Wilmslow

Cheshire

SK9 5AF

Tel: 01625 545745

Fax: 01625 524510

E-mail: [email protected]

Got a reply from HSBC today. Apologies for the collections dept contacting me again, and advising that they have contacted credit ref agencies.

'I note your request to write off the balance of the loan as compensation. However, whilst I recognise that HSBC has made errors in dealing with your loan, I cannot accept that it is appropriate to waive the monies which you owe the bank.'

They're offering £100 in full and final settlement, and theyve attached a letter for me to sign and send back accepting this, which they didnt do when they made the previous £125 goodwill gesture.

I think they know theyve screwed up big time.

Should I accept the £100? doesnt seem sufficient to me.

Its quite insulting that they put such a low value on defammation. Especially considering that they previously paid me £125 just for the sheer amount of inconvieince theyve caused me. I put more value of my reputation than I put on the inconvieince they've caused.

Letter draft:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your letter dated 15/01/2008. Unfortunately I am not satisfied with HSBC’s offer of settlement, so as instructed, have escalated this matter to yourself.

I find the offer of £100 compensation insulting. My name, and credit rating, have been tarnished over the last 6 months by HSBC’s mis-management of this account. HSBC has acted repeatedly in a negligent manner since re-negotiation of this loan, which has ultimately resulted in defamation. I believe I would be within my rights to request a four-figure sum for compensation, but in order to be reasonable, I requested for this small loan to be written off. I am disappointed HSBC disagrees.

I find your statement that I have suffered ‘no financial loss except Experian fees’ false. This statement completely ignores the fact that I have sent a number of letters, made numerous visits to branches and telephone calls to your premium rate customer service line at a financial cost to myself in order to resolve this matter.

I am also disappointed that not only was there no apology in your previous correspondence for the defamation I have suffered as a result of HSBC’s negligence, but that this fact was completely omitted.

You also saw fit to neglect to mention what has been a clear breach of the Data Protection Act in your previous correspondence.

HSBC previously made a goodwill gesture of £125 for your negligence on this loan, purely to compensate me for the inconvenience I suffered (I have since discovered the inaccurate entries on my credit report). HSBC is offering a lower sum to compensate for defamation and a clear breach of law than it did for inconvenience. This absolutely beggars belief. .

In order to resolve this issue without the need for further action, I am willing to accept compensation of £450 (as opposed to the £480 previously requested) in full and final settlement of this matter. I consider this a more than reasonable offer considering the sheer gravity of HSBC’s negligence. If, however, it becomes clear in the future that HSBC have not fulfilled their obligation to inform all credit reference agencies that this account has been paid in full and on time every month since re-negotiation, I reserve the right to take further action against HSBC.

I also previously requested that my phone number be removed from HSBC’s records and not that my account be marked as having a preference for non-telephone contact. Please confirm that all telephone numbers that HSBC have for me have been removed from your records.

If HSBC is unable to abide by these simple requests then I request a ‘deadlock’ final letter, so that I may escalate this matter to the Financial Ombudsman and/or the Information Commissioners Office.

You guys think it's too strong?

I thought I should reduce the compo I'm asking for slightly to be reasonable, but Im tempted to add on a £25 'admin' fee for the inconvieience of writing to them again. :rolleyes:

Hi Nick,

Getting compensation from a bank is difficult at the best of times, but worth pursuing... since you already have it in writing that they were originally willing to offer you £125. Send your letter (rec. delivery) and see what happens....