Grounds for grievance?????

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4988 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've worked for the same employer for nearly 5 years.

I've been given part-time higher grade role and told to wear uniform, contract changed accordingly.

Went into work in uniform and got verbal abuse from someone on same grade who objected, spoke to manager (next grade up) she said it was her dept, her decision, she would sort. I carry on.

Now manager says I can't wear uniform (after month or so), still on higher grade (and pay) for those hours as per contract. I really am upset about this, I have been working really hard (which is acknowledged), doing well and now I am going to look a complete prat in front of colleagues...uniform change was widely congratulated....it feels like a smack in the teeth.

What should I do, I'd still like promotion, I like my job and team and am loyal to dept but right now I want to leave......

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Hi Poppynurse, I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving a job you love - you shouldn't be made to feel like this when you've worked hard for the promotion.

However, you have a contract which states you are on the higher grade and if being on this grade affords you wearing the uniform that comes with it, then stopping you doing so is discrimination. I would certainly raise a grievance, not only for this issue but also that you were verbally abused by another member of staff - that is unacceptable.

Also, you need to ask for the reason why you were not appointed after applying for the position - you are entitled to know.

Seems a bit of a tangle to me.... I take it you work in the NHS? are you a member of the union?

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Hi Ell-enn,

I am in the NHS and in Unison - but our local rep is a part time housekeeper, I don't think he would understand the issues and I have to say I suspect confidentiality might be an issue. I will phone the regional office I think. I'm just wary of rocking the boat too much in case it affects my future prospects :(

With regards to the individual who bad mouthed me it is a difficult situation, she is a friend and also my appraiser, most of the time we get on really well but I have to say on a few occasions her behaviour has been close to, if not actual, bullying. We do have to work quite closely together in certain elements of work. I have spoken to manager who says leave it with me, this person is being watched etc but this has been going on for quite some time with no apparent change. I am not the only person with issues with this individual.

I suspect the manager acted in good faith but has backed down for an easy life - I am not confrontational and she knows this. The NHS is such a complex organisation I don't know whether to leave it as it is, ring HR, put in a grievance, go to the matron or what to do for the best long term outcome....

I think in the first instance it would be useful to ring your regional Unison office and see what they advise. Post back on here when you have done that.

I hope you can soon resolve this situation Poppy.. you deserve better in your career.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I emailed unison and they referred me to my local rep :(

I wrote to manager but have not yet had a response.

I emailed HR and they will discuss with manager and 'communicate their decision'.

How long should I leave it beore I chase them up?

For someone who doesn't rock the boat I'm not doing bad....

Hi Poppynurse - Glad to hear you're "rocking the boat" lol

I would leave it a week and then email asking if they have an update on the situation.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

I've seen this numerous times its a common problem, they staff ask to act up whilst job is advertised then employ someone else. The last time I saw it happen the person acted up as a line manager for six months then a junior member of staff who she had been managing got the job and ended up bossing her about and she got no thanks for the six months which she did on her normal pay! They have you over a barrell if you don't help out and look enthusiastic it works against you and then they still stab you in the back! I hope it all works out for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got no response other than a verbal 'I will sort it', but nothing has changed, so have escalated to senior manager. Will post the outcome when I know it!