NatWest failed to action my standing order

confusedone

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm an international student studying in Birmingham for the past year and a half. I have had a 'Step Account' with Natwest (Broad street branch, Birmingham) for the entire duration that I've been here. A standing order to pay my landlord the rent was set up on my account. This standing order was expected to be actioned on the 1st of each month starting July 2007.

Though the first payment was made in july, the bank failed to make any further payments. This prompted my landlord to tell me in December that I had failed to pay him 5 months rent. On contacting the branch, they confirmed my fears. They had failed to pay my standing order despite the mandate clearly stating that the S/O should be paid every month (I have a copy of the mandate and so does my landlord). I was £987 in debt now.

I accept it was my failure for not checking my balance each month. However it is a greater fault for the bank not carrying out instructions. This has caused me considerable stress and a lot of embarrassment. Being an international student in a foreign country to be faced with such a situation caused me not only a lot of headache but also sleepless nights in the fear of possible legal action by my landlord. Fortunately my landlord has been understanding and agreed that i pay him in installments.

On complaining to the bank, all they offered me was to find out who's mistake it was. They have failed to offer me any compensation. All this is in addition on their failure to change my address on their files despite me informing them about it and their failure to send me a new password for phone banking despite making a request for it. Natwest have not only disappointed me with their service, but also acted arrogantly and insensitively.

I've written to Banking Ombudsman twice and i have not heard from them until now. I'm confused and frustrated. i dont know who to go for advice or what action to take now.

Hi confusedone and welcome to the forum.

Although the bank are at fault for not correctly setting up the SO's you should have known what money was available and indeed realised these were not being paid. I dont see what you expect other than an apology from the bank as their actions havn't put you where you are today you must have had statements sent out also which would have raised the alarm.

Sorry if it isnt what you want to hear but thats my 2p worth.