CapQuest chasing an ex-lodger...

rich599

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4822 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Several months ago, at the start of August, a lodger I had moved out (owing me approx £1000 in rent). I am now starting to receive (addressed to him, at my address) letters from CapQuest Debt Recovery threatening litigation and eventually Court Enforcement Officers for two accounts at the Natwest totalling nearly £7000. They (CDR) have obviously taken no notice of my returning to them, previous letters stating that he is no longer resident at my address. I have no way of contacting the ex-lodger.

I guess I've got two questions: -

1) How to get CDR to listen? I'm not sure I should actually write to them with any of my details, this may just give them more info than they already have? I've just returned the previous envelopes marked "Return to Sender, recipient gone away, no forwarding address".

2) Where do I stand, should the bailiff come knocking? Surely the bailiff can only take what belongs to the miscreant, not anything at the address?

Any help/advice anybody can give, would be appreciated!

Cheers

R

Firstly continue to return ALL mail unopened and Not Known.

Secondly CQ cannot simply arrive with bailiffs without a defaulted court order.

In the unlikely event that they do manage to get a court order and bailiffs arrive then, as this person no longer lives at this address, they are powerless to act.

On the whole you have nothing to worry about and it sounds like you have been doing the correct things already.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

As Ben says you must return all correspondence to the ex-lodger as NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS. Opening someone elses mail is an offence. You have no liability for these debts so a bailiff would only be able to take goods belonging to the debtot. If it is your property you can refuse entry.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thread moved to Debt Collection Forum.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

The next letter to arrive at your address with a clear, return address somewhere on it put it, unopened, in an envelope and send it recorded delivery back to to Capquest along with a note stating you are not the debtor, he does not live at the address, you have no forwarding address etc. Ask them to confirm no further letters will be sent in writing. Tell them that if they fail to confirm they will stop sending letters to your address any further letters from them will be sent back in unstamped envelopes which will of course cost them money.

• 6 months later...

Quick update on this, I went with the "posting their letters back to them" so they had to pay postage. It took a while (perhaps 10 letters sent back), but eventually it went quiet, has been for about 4 months now.

SO that seems to have done the trick, thanks guys...

You're very welcome :)