"Does the Taxman owe you money"?

laineynic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5928 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today I was readind the paper when I saw an advert saying "does the taxman owe you money". It goes onto to say In 2001/2002 & 2002/2003 a tax allowancw was mad available for parents of children under 16.

The it says "If you has a child living with you at this time from April - April It is possible that the taxman owes you money.

The advert also says that for a no win no fee they will recover this for you.

Does anyone know anything about what this tax is and how to claim it etc. I don't want to pay a compnay to recover money that I could be entitled to. They also say that they are authorised agents of hmrc.

I have been on this companies website and it doesn't give much away. I guesse they want you to ring them to find this information out.

Basically when the married couples/dependant child allowance was scrapped, the Government created a new allowance (of equivalent value) for dependant children. This was then scrapped when tax credits began, ie it only lasted 2 years.

HMRC did not automatically allocate the allowances to everyone, as they did not know everyone who had children (maybe it was too costly to check with child benefit?). The result being that some got the allowance but others had to make a claim.

You can only claim tax for the last 7 tax years so do not leave this one. You certainly do not need a company to charge you for doing the work. This was publicised a couple of years ago and instructions for self claiming was on HMRCs website then.

It is probably just easier to start by phoning your own tax office.

Parents - Does The Taxman Owe You £1,500?

If you had a child born between 1985 and 2003 you may have missed a tax refund worth up to £1,500. Did you:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q1 - Have a child(ren) born between April 6th 1985 and April 5th 2003?

Q2- Work and pay tax (or live with a partner who worked and paid tax) between April 2001 and April 2003?

Q3- Did the highest earner in the family earn £6,000+ in one or both years?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ring your local tax office and ask if your tax code had changed... tell tham the date of your childs birth..

There are NO FORM 11CTC's in circulation anymore... you need to rite to the tax office and ask them to manually open the claim for you!!!!

I think if you use this link you can find your local tax office

HM Revenue & Customs:

Help me to help others!

yes i had 3 children born between those years, the first sept 1994, the twins june 1996 :rolleyes: , and my husband did earn well over £6000 per year so do i qualify ? (im having hell on with the tax credit n00bs due to an overpayment already) so would i just be seen to be rocking the boat?

honey x

hi guys

just wanted to say that i came accross this thread in the xmas hols and was very intrigued, to the point i called my tax office and asked the question, a very nice lady said that i had not claimed for it previously and should write to them before the 30th january as this is when all claims will be halted, it was definatley worth a quick call, will keep you posted as to whether i get it and how much. fingers crossed

gem x x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I wrote off for this 9th Jan, got a POD from Royal Mail saying delivered 10 Jan, have been calling my HMRC office to ascertain it has been received and actioned, they say they are currently working on post received 7th December so I have to wait 4 weeks until they have opened all the post.......

(I wonder if they have a backlog in receiving and opening everybody's self-assessments that are due in by this Thursday?.... hmmmm)