HSBC Credit Card Claim

paulc365
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I used to have a credit card with HSBC, which I have since cleared and cancelled about 2 years ago. I have read recently that although there is a test case for bank charges at the High Court, this does not include credit cards. Is this correct?

I am also concerned about persuing possible charges because I made a successful bank charges claim last year on my HSBC bank account for the sum of £390. I am worried that if I pursue a claim on credit card charges they will close my HSBC bank account. Is this likely???

Finally, all I have is the credit card number so if I send a SAR will they still have my data?? - I have one statement that I can find!!

Thanks!!

Hiya Paul, your correct about credit card claims, they shouldn't be affected by the OFT test case.

The banks are bound by the banking charter, this stops them taking retaliatory action against their clients, after all its the bank who have applied "unlawful charges" to your account your just asking for it back.

If you have the card number you should be able to get the information relating to your card going back 6 years from a SAR.

so carry on with your claim regardless :)

pete

• 4 months later...

Hi there, been a while but have finally got my list of charges from HSBC. About to send my first request letter for £200.

Please could someone let me know where to send it and whether I should claim interest or not. Charges date back to 2004. If you think I should then please could you post a link for the relevant spreadsheet for a credit card claim.

Help would be very much appreciated!! Thank you!!!

Hi paul the list of addresses is here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/74985-hsbc-contact-information.html

The Leeds address is the one for claims.

Up to you if you claim the interest the bank have added against your charges, if they are old charges if can add up quite to a lot.

There are two spreadsheets in the templates library the simple spreadsheet which just adds up your charges and the advanced which calculates the interest due against those charges too.

pete

Thanks Pete.

Just to let you know I sent my LBA today claiming £199 in charges without interest at this point.

Let's hope for an early settlement!! Fingers crossed and will keep updating!!

Received a prompt reply this morning stating that HSBC believe all charges to be fair and reasonable.

In summary, it also said:

1) The OFTs investigation led HSBC to change its market practices and reduce its credit card charges for the future. These changes do not affect charges that have already been applied.

2) They regret they are not prepared to make any refund of default charges or provide any compensation payments.

3) Thank you for contacting them and they hope that the matters have now been resolved.

Please could you tell me if this is a standard reply or if it has been seen before and should I now threaten court action????

Thanks

Hi Paul :)

IMHO This is just an update on the usual off-putting garbage they usually send. I'd just ignore it and carry on to the next step - your LBA, which you have already sent, is the one threatening court action so no need to do that again .........

I've just had another look paul - was it your LBA or your first request you sent ? If it was your first request then your LBA is the next step, in which case you might like to try something like this:

[your address]

[their address]

[date]

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

I am disappointed that you have failed to respond positively to my letter of the [XXXXXXX - date of preliminary letter] and its enclosed schedule, copies of which are attached.

If you do not refund the amount which I am claiming within 14 days from the date of this letter,[and make the personal data amendments which I require] I shall issue proceedings in the County Court without giving you any further notice.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

Only fill the red detail in if relevant..........

Edited by johnnymitch
getting rid of font marks

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D