• Tweets

• depends what the fees are, typically nothing can be added once judgement is passed bar litigation costs. on document retention time limits etc at least 6yrs previous must be held though many hold complete info. as for acronyms and abbreviations ideally yes they should     
    • Still have to submit a statement either system....if they fail they can only give verbal because they failed to file and serve.
    • OP stated they had been arrested, but not charged (let alone convicted). They DON'T have a criminal record, but do have an entry on the PNC. That information stays on the PNC (Police National Computer) for life, but doesn't get released in a standard DBS. It only MIGHT get released for an Enhanced DBS (eDBS) check  ... but it would be incredibly unlikely. (The rational behind this is that eDBS's allow for 'information at Chief Officer of Police's discretion' ..... this covers the 2 'barring lists' and is also intended for the scenario where someone has multiple arrests or investigations, where safeguarding is a concern .... it was brought in after the Soham murders / Ian Huntley case, where the information known about the now-convicted child murderer may have prevented his employment in a school, had it been made available). So, for the sake of accuracy and completeness, arrests stay on the PNC for life, wont appear in a standard DBS, MIGHT appear in an eDBS, but in reality, would be the exception rather than the norm, and I can't see them being released  to a defense barrister. What then if the defence found out a different way, and brought it up in court?. Again, unlikely, but the important feature is that the judge would make sure they trod very carefully!. They MIGHT consider using it if there were other factors that allowed them to try to cast doubts as to the truthfulness of your evidence, but on its own : No way. Anyone MIGHT be arrested (if a seemingly plausible complaint been made against them)! The approach to take if it did come up is to be truthful. "Yes, I was arrested. It arose from a vexatious complaint. I wasn't charged, let alone convicted. That could happen to any one of us, if a vexatious complaint gets made" Far better that than lying, saying you'd never been arrested, and getting caught in a lie : that would ruin your credibility. I'm incredibly doubtful it will even come up, though.
    • we dont get N157 because its new OCMC but no court dont have evidence either.   Just seems a bit of a pointless wait but oh well
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I've got judgement by default - For the second time !!!**WON**

Blossomandebony
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5562 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe I started this thread on Christmas day and I've still not been paid the judgement!!!

Anyway, I've delivered to the court and the defendant my part of the court order, i.e. the schedule of costs, (the same one I originally sent the cc company in September 2007!). So I just addressed it to a 'customer services manager.' I do hope it gets to the right person, wouldn't want another important document to go missing now, would I?

Anyway, they've got about 3 weeks to comply . . .

BAE :)

Edited by Blossomandebony

• 1 month later...

Have they complied or not???

Well, last week, I received a bundle of info from their solicitors, (FINALLY - SO THEY DO EXIST!!!) - the defence of the cc company, various statements of my account and a covering letter asking for the judge to strike out my claim as it has no chance of success! Basically, they're saying that they've already paid way above the charges and interest debited, through 'goodwill payments' they have sent for my two previous claims...:???:

Well, I DON'T consider sending the above as complying with the judge's orders, which were, in a nutshell, that they must deal 'specifically' with the charges I outlined . . . they haven't.:mad:

Therefore, I have sent a polite letter asking the judge to strike out their defence on the grounds of non - compliance of court orders. Just to be extra - nice, I have included a further alternative Draft Direction, which states that if they don't comply with the original order within 7 days, the judgement will be awarded to the claimant.:)

Phoned the court today and they told me that everything is with the judge for consideration . . . no idea if my tactics will work but, 'in for a penny . . .'

BAE

If you leave off for 28 days they cant apply for a set aside. ;)

(ie: they have 28 days to either cough up OR apply for a set aside.)

Keep schtoom.

No point in alerting them to their predicament now, is there?

I am afraid that this is not correct. Setasides can be request and obtained after much longer periods than 28 days.

I would normally suggest that judgment should be enforced as quickly as possible. It won't make a lot of difference as to whether a setaside will be granted or not and you may at least savour the moment. It can also give you a negotiating hand as you will be able to offer not to defend the setaside application in return for some movement in the defendant's position.

I am afraid that this is not correct. Setasides can be request and obtained after much longer periods than 28 days.

I would normally suggest that judgment should be enforced as quickly as possible. It won't make a lot of difference as to whether a setaside will be granted or not and you may at least savour the moment. It can also give you a negotiating hand as you will be able to offer not to defend the setaside application in return for some movement in the defendant's position.

Thanks Bankfodder. :)

As you can see from the first page of this thread there were a few different views flying about regarding when to apply for enforcement!

What's obvious to me now is that it made no difference that I waited the 28 days before enforcing - they still achieved the set aside, which was pretty much guaranteed.

However, I'm hoping that the 28 days I waited will show the judge my reasonableness, i.e. I gave the defendant plenty of time to settle their debt etc.

At the moment, it's a stalemate. with both sides attempting to strike out the other's claim / defence.

In my recent letter to the judge I asked politely that the defendant be ordered to disclose their fees. I know they won't but I'm hoping a court order will at least force them to negotiate . . .

BAE

Hi BAE,

Could you pm me a copy of what you sent as you know I am in a similar situation and will prob need to do the same...They have till tomorrow 4pm to file and serve their defence and I want something ready in either case...

Thanks,

Penfold

Hi, Penfold

Have sent you my letter and draft directions - hope you can get something from them!

Actually, I reckon you will stand a better chance than me to get their defence struck out; in my case I am arguing that they have not complied with a court direction properly but they will argue they have complied - but in your case, so long as they don't get their defence in by tomorrow, the defendant has definitely NOT complied.

At the end of the day, a letter only costs a few pence to send - it's not like you're making an official application to the court, (which costs money) - so it is worth trying!!!

BAE:)

absolutely mate...also I have also offered them £2k to settle rather than the judgment of £3.5K so hopefully they will see sense and settle to avoid further costs and wasting a whole load of time...but then what do we know eh?

Could This Be The First Ever Credit Card Company to Disclose Their True Costs in Court???:rolleyes:

Mmm, sounds dramatic but I'm sure they'll wrangle a way out.

Basically, there has been a new, favourable development.

The court has sent me an order saying that my claim stands, (hurray!), but the defendant has to amend their defence! The judge is still not happy that they are not dealing with the charges I have listed, and wants them to do an amended defence which deals 'specifically' with the charges.

I'm chuffed because the judge is taking my side at the mo' and the Draft Directions I have offered the court have been used twice, now, (albeit with the judge's own wording). Plus the defendant has been given a slap on the wrist for not properly complying with the first order!

So, the defendant has 2 weeks to respond with the amended defence or risk the whole defence being struck out.

Will they disclose their true costs or not? :???: (WHFO, I reckon!)

BAE

• 1 month later...

Update, kind of . . .

No word from the legal dept of the cc company at all. I've even phoned them and they keep saying they will phone back and then don't!

So I decided to phone the court last week. Was told, 'No developments, your letter was passed to the judge and it's still with him'.

So phoned the court again yesterday and was told they will check what the delay is, as it's been 'with the judge' for 3 weeks! Court official was very helpful and said she would phone back today . . . and she did!

Anyway, the court have told me the file was 'misplaced' but they have found it and checked the details with the judge - he has said that the last order still stands and as the defendant has not bothered to file an amended defence, (as ordered), I can ask for judgement!!!

The court is sending the required form out and all I have to do is fill it in, apparently, and I will get a judgement - for the second time!

So things are definitely looking up, but there's no way I'll count any chickens yet as this case has stalled more times than my old Ford Cortina . . .

;)Its certainly a move in a direction I bet your old ford cant do that to well.

Remember to ask for a warrant of execution afterwards.

• Haha 1

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

Thanks, Saintly, Josh,

If I do get judgement, would it be worthwhile using High Court bailiffs? I used county court bailiffs when I got the original judgement.

Is there any evidence that High Court bailiffs are better at getting a result when it comes to corporate firms? Has anyone had experience of them?

Just a thought, really.

BAE:)

will the option of using high court bailiffs be available?

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

will the option of using high court bailiffs be available?

If the claim, once Judgment is entered, is transferred to the High Court, then yes.

You have to issue the Warrant of Execution in the High Court, for the High Court Enforcement Officers (High Court equivilent of a County Court Bailiff, give or take) to Execute the Warrant. Depending on the amount of the claim, the transfer to the HC will be done free, but you still need to pay the standard Court fee for issuing the Warrant. More here;

Marston Group

The free transfer service is here;

Breeze and Wyles, conveyancing, commercial employment and family Solicitors, Hertfordshire

(I'm hoping the mods don't decide this is a commercial advert, but I don't think it is - it's just a valuable bit of info on a service that anyone with Judgment should consider, especially seeing how ineffective County Court Bailiffs are against Commercial Businesses :lol:)

Saintly1 -

I'm certainly considering putting in a complaint, or a number of complaints, once this is all over.

Their solicitors are either incompetent or arrogant and I will be putting in a complaint about their behaviour to whoever is responsible for regulating them. (Don't believe this will have a great impact but you never know till you try . . .)

(By the way, I'm probably one of the few on here who understand what a Yicker is! :D)

Update: Phoned the court today and they have just issued judgement for the claimant (ME!!).

This sounds good but I've got a feeling that the cc company who I've sued will AGAIN ask for a set aside.

Firstly, I will wait till the judgement comes in the post and then phone their legal dept to ask for my money. If they stall I will threaten High Court bailiffs. But if they state that they are applying for a set aside, what should I do???

Obviously I will object to a SECOND SA but on what basis? Has this ever happened to anyone on here???

Thanks, BAE :)

Thanks, Saintly.

I did ask the court staff if it were possible for the defendant to apply for a second set aside and she said they could. But that is just one court official.

I've not heard of a company doing this before and nobody seems to know if it is a viable option for them. I suppose I'll find out in a day or two . . .