Conned by phone insurance company now have bank charges!

Zak84

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi people.

This is my first post on this site, seems very helpful and informative so im hoping i can get some advice to sort out this situation im in!

I took out a contract with vodafone, the next day i recieved a phone call from a company who where offering me a cheaper deal for insurance than vodaphone.

I was happy to accept the deal as it worked out to be cheaper than the vodafone insurance, so the agent explained to me that they would cancel my direct debit with voda and i would have to switch my payment to them.

They requested my card details but instead of setting up a direct debit with themselfs they simply attempted to lift the whole years insurance amount there and then, without telling me they where going to be doing so.

Due to not anticipating this payment my account did not have enough funds to cover, and resulted in me going into an unauthorised overdraft with my bank as until this time i have never had an overdraft with my bank. Due to not knowing any activity was going on with my account i continued in this unauthorised overdraft for the next week or so and subsequently i now have 150 pounds of bank charges to deal with.

I contacted the company and explained the situation to them, they agreed the agent who took the payment was wrong not to explain to me how the payment would be made and what the payment amount/method was to be. They told me they would send a letter to me to give to my bank which they said in most cases waives the charges, but my bank are not interested whatsoever.

I believe they where wrong and misled me to believe i was in fact setting up a direct debit with them and that they where wrong to basically [EDIT] take the money from my account there any then without first asking my permission and checking with me that i had the funds to cover this.

Just wondering what rights and options i have in this situation?

Many thanks in advance.

Guest 10110001

The £150 charges is called damages.

You must write to the company responsible and ask they repay you within 7 days. Give a detailed breakdown of the charges and how they were incurred, and say that if they fail to pay, you will automatically file a claim in the small claims track, which will incur further costs and interest at 8% from when the damages beame due.

Just ask in writing once, be firm and to the point. Don't get involed in lengthy protracted correspondence. Never phone them, call-centre staff are well trained in fobbing people with excuses.

Once the claim is filed at court, get a trial date, that sets a roadmap to a finite conclusion.

Cancel the direct debit with the bank.