Fighting my way out of debt - is a credit report from Experian any good?

SpiceBoy!
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone!

I am about to blitz all my debt with a payout I have coming and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice before I pay it all off...

I have been told that a credit report from Experian is a really good tool to use? Not really sure so I was hoping someone would shed some light?

I have a few thousand pounds of debt which isnt that much compared to alot of others so I have been quite lucky... But I would like to know whether I should just pay it all off in full or should I look into any of it further and see if I can shave any £ off the final amounts?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance

Craig

Well a credit report from Experian just shows you the state of your credit worthiness, if you have never had one before you can have a 30 day free trial.

If you have DCA's after you and in most cases other lenders too, you can offer them a full and final settlement offer on the understanding that they put nothing adverse on your credit report or even ask them to wipe what they have written off your credit report, obviously you will need to see what, if anything, they have written first.

But I am not an expert in this field and I am sure one of the experts will be along to expand on my answer

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Well you really have 3 options.

1) you can take what debts you know about and pay them off at what they say.

2) you can take what debts you have and offer them a full and final settlement with what ever you want like, not allowed to pass on or chase for hte rest of the amount, data on your credit report removed etc. You must have this is writing so if they do agree to your F&F and terms make sure you have a signature from the company before you go and pay them.

3) you could CCA each and every company and find out if they have a credit agreemnt for you and if they have added any charges by sending them a S.A.R request. Then based on what you get back you can make your offers.

If they dont have a credit agreement then you dont have to pay them or you can just put them to the bottom of the pile for a full and final offer.

You need to go to the stickys above these threads and one called template letter. For a CCA you will need letter N.

This has a £1.00 charge that goes with it and it is best to send a POstal order or a cheque written buy a friend or family member. If you send a cheque from your bank add an extra letter but dont make it to ovboius. DONT sign the letter.

The reason i say dont sign the letter or send the po is DCA/ Creditors have been known to get photoshop happy and start copying and pasting on to credit agreements.

You will need to send this at least recorded delivery so you can prove it got to them as this is essential.

If you have any questions just give us a shout.

Chrissi

• Haha 1

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Thanks Lula and Chrissi :)

You have been very helpful :)

If I were to go with step 3 then step 2 with the ones who can provide CCA would that be the best course of action?

I had no idea that they would do something quite as devious as digitally copying my signature onto CCAs!!!

when step three is done you can actually claim back any charges they have put on your account As long as they DONT have a credit agreement this is a way that you can get the balance reuced even more.

It would be helpful if you could give us a bit more info on what the debts are as we maybe able to help u more as different debts have a few different rules.

If catalogues you would only need to add up the ammount you have in goods. minus the amount of other charges.

EG.

late payment fees+admistration charges+p&p+ payments made= deductable charges.

good you have recieved and kept - deductable charges = full and final settlement with conditions.

When you start to get replys back let us no and we will advise u further.

Chrissi

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Oh the digital signature thing. I have heard about it and there is a few threads on here that say the signature is copied but l can say l have never come across it so l cannot say they if they do or dont.

Chrissi

Wow, thanks for the replys :D

Here is the breakdown... (all totals are approximate and rounded up to the nearest hundred except those under £100)

Tesco Insurance - £1400 - No communication from Tesco or any DCA regarding this debt in over 2 years but last communication was from Buchanan Clark + Wells in 2004

NatWest - £1400 - No communication from Natwest or any DCA since 2004 - Last communication was from Red Knight Services

KwikFit - £600 - Went to Nottingham county court and a CCJ was issued but no further actions or communication after I received the letter saying I had a CCJ

HFC - £300 - Was handed over to ScotCall DCA, then Keppe & Partners DCA and is now currently being delt with by Buchanan Clark + Wells

3 mobile - £70 - not a single letter from 3 or any DCA at all regarding this debt but it has shown up on my report from Experian

Tesco Insurance - £50 - I intend to pay this as it stands as this is my own fault and have no problems paying the full amount.

I think that about covers it all...

With the ones whom havent chased me in a few years shall I just leave them as they are and see if they get in touch then act on them?

Hi SpiceBoy!

Nice to see you.

Just one small thing. It's always best never to post exact details of your situation here - if this were me, I'd post my debts as "about £xxxx" - just in case.

• Haha 1

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Here is the breakdown...

Tesco Insurance - £xxx - No communication from Tesco or any DCA regarding this debt in over 2 years but last communication was from Buchanan Clark + Wells in 2004

NatWest - £xxx - No communication from Natwest or any DCA since 2004 - Last communication was from Red Knight Services

KwikFit - £xxx - Went to Nottingham county court and a CCJ was issued but no further actions or communication after I received the letter saying I had a CCJ

HFC - £xxxx - Was handed over to ScotCall DCA, then Keppe & Partners DCA and is now currently being delt with by Buchanan Clark + Wells

3 mobile - £xx - not a single letter from 3 or any DCA at all regarding this debt but it has shown up on my report from Experian

Tesco Insurance - £xx - I intend to pay this as it stands as this is my own fault and have no problems paying the full amount.

With the ones whom havent chased me in a few years shall I just leave them as they are and see if they get in touch then act on them?

It's up to you want you so about the ones who have not chased you. After 6 years a debt becomes statute barred - so it still exists, and can affect your credit rating, but it is not enforceable through the courts. So you may want to go the CCA/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) route and clear all and only what you owe while you have the funds.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

Nice one, SpiceBoy!

;)

So much new information its hard to take it all in lol...

I feel as if I have been given enough tools to never be 'taken for a ride' again by any bank or DCA.. or anyone on the planet!

Dont you have a bed to go to? :p

It seems like a lot now, spice - but you'll be amazed how quickly it becomes second nature.

In fact, I do have a bed. However, as I'm staing at my wee sister's over Xmas and we have a full house, I'm sleeping in the caravan in the garden with my 11 year old niece.

:(

And I'm never in bed at this time of night anyway.

Well anyone and everyone can fight the good fight after being on here.. Im so positively charged right now that Ive got all my paperwork out and Im drafting letters as we speak!

Caravan beds + me = worst nights sleep ever! - I dont envy you at all

Glad to hear it spice.

Here's some links to help:

CCA is here (letter N)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

SAR is here (will need modifying to your situation, but has the jist):

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

It's a good idea, when you get underway, to post a new thread for each case you are fighting - so that we can see how you are getting on and it doesn't get muddled.

Look forward to talking to you lots.

:D

Thanks, I will post individual threads when I get the ball rolling for each debt and that way I can give all you brainy people something to occupy your time with :D

Im still reading up about what an S.A.R is and how it can help me etc (I have NO experience with consumer law or anything of the type, total novice)

Basically, an SAR provides you with a total record of everything the creditor has on file about you. So, if you have had charges added, it tells you about these. And often this is where you can contest the debt - as OFT the (Office of Fair Trading) Guidelines says these must be reasonable (to summarise).

If a debt has been assigned to a DCA (Debt Collection Agency), as some of yours have, there are often high charges that you can query. In cases like this, once you know the situation, you can make a full and final offer based on the original debt and ensure that no adverse marks get put on your credit file as part of this offer.

In addition, if a DCA is chasing you for a debt, it is worth checking that they have the authority to collect, which is where the CCA request comes in. If they do not, the debt is not enforceable by them. I'd usually do this before an SAR, but this is up to you. The main thing is that it could result in the debt returning to the OC (Original Creditor) and you may have more chance of negotiating with them for a full and final settlement based on the original debt.

It's a game. It's not debt avoidance, it's debt management. Just ensuring that debtors pay what is fair.

:)

Mind blowing! (well it is to me ha ha!)

Tomorrow (well later) will be an interesting day and I will be armed with alot of outgoing mail ready for after Christmas!

I will leave the ones whom have left me alone for a significant time until all the others are delt with and if I am still flush with available funds and its in my best interest to do so, I will contact them and see where it takes me.

Thanks for your time, Im sure its been put to good use!

You're now beginning to get into control of the situation - and hopefully won't end up back in debt 9 months down the line. This site is a great enable and support network and we don't judge people as some other sites do.

Debt happens to the best of us, as well as the worst and it is going to become more widespread as the 'credit crunch' bites deeper next year.

You're in good hands here and we will talk you through most of the processes involved. It's not about avoiding paying the debt, it is making sure the debt actually is yours and the company has a legal right to chase you for it.

Here is the breakdown... (all totals are approximate and rounded up to the nearest hundred except those under £100)

Tesco Insurance - £1400 - No communication from Tesco or any DCA regarding this debt in over 2 years but last communication was from Buchanan Clark + Wells in 2004

Leave this one for now...

NatWest - £1400 - No communication from Natwest or any DCA since 2004 - Last communication was from Red Knight Services

Leave this one as well...

KwikFit - £600 - Went to Nottingham county court and a CCJ was issued but no further actions or communication after I received the letter saying I had a CCJ

When did you get the CCJ ? Is no-one trting to enforce this at present then ?

HFC - £300 - Was handed over to ScotCall DCA, then Keppe & Partners DCA and is now currently being delt with by Buchanan Clark + Wells

Worth a CCA... sounds like it's been sold on.

3 mobile - £70 - not a single letter from 3 or any DCA at all regarding this debt but it has shown up on my report from Experian

How long ago ? Leave this one as well, if you're not being pursued.

Tesco Insurance - £50 - I intend to pay this as it stands as this is my own fault and have no problems paying the full amount.

Ok...

Up to you, but unless you have substantial charges in excess of the amount owed, I would let sleeping dogs lie.

Any CCA/SAR requests to go by rec. delivery, by the way.

:)

Wow, thanks for the replys :grin:

Leave this one for now...

Okies!

Leave this one as well...

Okies!

When did you get the CCJ ? Is no-one trting to enforce this at present then ?

09/06/2003 was the date the CCJ was issued - not a single person has tried to enforce the CCJ

Worth a CCA... sounds like it's been sold on.

In that case I shall be sending out a CCA in the new year... I thought it might of been sold on but wanted a 2nd opinion :)

How long ago ? Leave this one as well, if you're not being pursued.

I cant say from when right now as Experian is offline atm, but its older than a year for sure

Ok...

Up to you, but unless you have substantial charges in excess of the amount owed, I would let sleeping dogs lie.

Any CCA/S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) requests to go by rec. delivery, by the way.

Yeah I thought that :)