• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help - Asset Link Capital sending me to court!

pupstermum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please, please could someone give me some advice as soon as posssible?: I received a letter on 29/12/07 from Assetl Link Capital saying they had purchased a debt from First National Consumer Finance. I had absolutly no idea what this was for : I have a mortgage but have never ever owed money, had a store/credit card or any debt. I telephoned and found out it was for a conservatory I had built at my old house in 2002. I had puchased a conservatory from Anglian windows for £11700 and was persuaded to take out a finance agreement because it was interest free for the first 12 months (even though I had adequate funds to pay in full ) and was assured the balance could be paid without penalty. As agreed payments were made on the 3rd of every month for 12 months, and after the 12th payment, the balance was paid in full. No further correspondence was ever recieved.

A few months later I sold this property and moved out on 14th/11/03 to my present address. My bank account has never changed and mail redirection was set up for 24 months.

I have discovered that Asset link claim I still owe for the conservatory and upon request received a statement from them detailing the payments I paid.

LOAN: £11700

Charge: £45

6/8/02 deposit £1755

1st payment £277.22

10xmonthly payments of £232.22 = £2322.20

1 final payment £7390.58

TOTAL Paid £11745.

I know it may seem strange but once payments were completed and I moved house I did not keep a copy of my agreement.

Now I have requested to see this but Asset Link say they cannot get hold of one. Anglian windows willnot speak to me about it.

No one has ever, ever contacted me about this - my new address was readily available. I never received any correspondence during the time my direct debit went out that interest was accruing monthly.

There was no correspondence after the conservatory had been paid for infull, and the direct debit was completed saying that interest had been added.

Infact - there does not seem to have been any attempt to contact me for almost 5 years.

Meanwhile I gather interest is still being added on and I have been summoned to court - all this has happened in the last 2 weeks. I feel at a loss at what to do and extremely frightened. I feel that I have either been conned by a rogue finance agent or some computer error has been made - but now I have received a court summons I am terrified.

I sent a defence letter in yesterday withthe form, basically saying similar to the above. Please please could someone helpme - I dont know what to do next. Thank you.

Can you please post the particulars of claim and what you have sent as your defence.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

The Claim form Calain no. f7X160015

northampton

says The Defendants are indebtedto the claimant under the terms of a credit agreement dated 23/4/02 and assigned to the Claimant. The Agreement is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. the agreement provided that interest would be payable before adn after a judgement. The right to proceed for subsequent interest is reserved. Default occurred in payment and the loan was called in under S.87.

This is signed Asset Link Capital (no1) ltd. The amount claimed is £2216.35 plus court fee of £75.00 totalling, £2291.35

In my defence I sent a letter which began with me stating the particulars of the claim, and underneath saying DEFENCE: ......denies that a default occurred.

I then wrote that the first time I heard anything about this was from a letter dated 29.11.07, and that I telephoned upon receipt of this to ask what it was regarding, and asked to see the original document. The next correspondence was this court summons.

They also sent details of the transactions (my direct debit payments) with their interest added on each month..

At the date when I received a settlement figure of £7390.58 which I paid in full, the interest totalls £1,188.54. It then continues to increase each month - continuing I presume even now.

I sent this form back via registered post on friday.

I am still astounded that noone told me about this. I feel a fool for not keeping any documents - but the rep who sold me the conservatory was a super lady, and it was such a reputable company. Conservatory finished, payments finished - everything seemed fine. Never heard a thing. Sold the house and moved here. The awful thing is, that I was perfectly able to pay for the conservatory in full - this was the first time I have ever had a finance agreement in my life. Do you think there is anything I can do?

Do you think there is anything I can do?

There is actually quite a lot that you can do. The first thing is to send a request under the Civil Procedure Rules for information. Template shown below.

In the matter of

XXX vs (defendant)

Claim Number XXX

In XXX Court

Soliciters Address

DATE

YOUR ADDRESS

Dear X

RE: REQUEST FOR INFORMATION MADE UNDER CPR PART 18

I have received the Court claim filed by your Company. To enable me to file a defence and counter-claim, I require specific information regarding the account to be provided forthwith. Given that this matter is now the subject of legal proceedings, you are obliged to disclose under the Civil Procedure Rules, the information and documents detailed below. The information must be furnished by the (DATE). If you fail to comply, this will be reported to the Court, a copy of this letter will be provided as evidence to the same and an Order enforcing your compliance will be sought.

IN RESPECT OF EACH ALLEGED DEBT CLAIMED, I REQUIRE:

1. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of any default and at the time the account was opened.

2. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to:

a. A transcript of all transactions, including charges, fees, interest, repayments and payments and both the original amount of the loan and any repayments made to it the account.

b. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

c. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account.

d. True copies of any deed of assignment and/or default notice with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

e. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

f. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

g. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

h. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

i. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

j. A copy of all account statements for the duration of the agreement.

3. Any other documents you seek to rely on in court.

4. A copy of your complaints procedure, as required by the Consumer Credit Act 2006.

I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court that you are trying to frustrate proceedings and denying me the opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.

Yours Sincerely,

XXX (Type, don't sign your name).

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

We will be amending your defence to strengthen it. You will need to pay for this (from memory it is £35). What was the date by which you had to submit a defence - if you had just acknowledged the claim you would have been given another 14 days to submit a defence.

There is no set time period for requesting info under the CPR, it is just defined as reasonable. Normally reasonable would be considered anywhere between 7 and 10 days, but we might have to reduce the amount of time to supply these documents depending on when the case is to heard and an amended defence submitted. Basically if they don't supply the info the judge will either give them an extension to supply the documents or throw the case out.

The CPR letter needs to be sent by special delivery, next day guaranteed.

I wonder on what basis they have issued proceedings if they no longer have a copy of the agreement - ie what paperwork do they propose to rely on in court to back up their ridiculous claim?

When we submitted a full defence we didn't have to pay anything by the way.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

I can't find the words to say how appreciative I am of what has been posted - I feel a bit stronger!

the issue date is 18 December 2007 making the 'date of service' 23rd December. I think I have read correctly that I have 14 days from this date (23rd) in which to submit my defence. I have already sent one letter though.

Forgive me if I haven't understood your advice, but do you think I should send the letter as per your template, (thread 4), first, followed by another (for which I understand there is a fee); or have I misunderstood that?

Can I just say again, how grateful I am for your advice - particularly at this time of year.

Forgive me if I haven't understood your advice, but do you think I should send the letter as per your template, (thread 4), first, followed by another (for which I understand there is a fee); or have I misunderstood that?

Send the letter in post#4 first by special delivery. Give them 7 days to send the information. We don't need to amend your defence just yet, we first of all need to wait and see if they can send any of the documents. If they can't (which is likely) we will amend your defence to reflect this and ask for the case to be thrown out. This will be done on an N244 form. We may also ask them for a statement of truth depending on their response to the CPR request, at which point they will probably just withdraw the claim.

Try to not worry about this and enjoy your Xmas :)

• Haha 1

Hi Pupstermum,

try not to worry to much, especially at this time of year. I know it can be very worrying when one receives a claim against them but in the majority of cases like these the creditor is hoping the debtor is not aware of their rights and will simply 'bury their head in the sand' so they can get judgement by default. They will not expect you to defend, and will get a pretty big shock when they see the letter Rory posted earlier! As Rory mentioned there are several options we can look at to resolve the situation

Oh and just to clarify there is no fee to file a defence, the £35 mentioned earlier was in relation to an application to ammend your defence (N244) at a later stage should you need to.

kind regards,

shane

All advice is offered freely & without prejudice

If my post has been useful to you please click the scales

• Haha 1

I have had one claim withdrawn after submitting a defence with the help of the wonderful guys on here. Quite often these people will run a mile if you try and complicate their attempt to get a judgement by default by having the nerve to enter a defence. Spoils their day:D

BANK CHARGES

Others

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there

It is now 13th January and I posted my letter as advised recorded delivery on 23rd December - and as yet have not received any reply atall. I ended my letter with "I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court ............file a defence and counter claim".

May I ask for advice on what step to take now? Should I send a copy of my letter to Northampton County Court?

Thankyou

Hello there

It is now 13th January and I posted my letter as advised recorded delivery on 23rd December - and as yet have not received any reply atall. I ended my letter with "I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court ............file a defence and counter claim".

May I ask for advice on what step to take now? Should I send a copy of my letter to Northampton County Court?

Thankyou

user_offline.gifreputation.gif vbrep_register("1324682") report.gif

Have you responded to the summons?

BANK CHARGES

Others

Yes. I put in a 'defence' letter (#3) - have not heard anything back from the court.

However, yesterday I did receive a letter from Asset Link saying that they had received my letter (23rd December 2007) and were going to request the relevant documents from the archives of the finance company. I suppose I just have to wait and see what they come up with - and guess that this 'interest' is being added on each month and there is nothing I can do about it. Scary.

Hi Pupstermum,

try not to worry to much, especially at this time of year. I know it can be very worrying when one receives a claim against them but in the majority of cases like these the creditor is hoping the debtor is not aware of their rights and will simply 'bury their head in the sand' so they can get judgement by default. They will not expect you to defend, and will get a pretty big shock when they see the letter Rory posted earlier! As Rory mentioned there are several options we can look at to resolve the situation

Oh and just to clarify there is no fee to file a defence, the £35 mentioned earlier was in relation to an application to ammend your defence (N244) at a later stage should you need to.

kind regards,

shane

Rory, do you suggest sending this N244 form which you mentioned? II feel a bit stuck.

Thanks

Send the letter in post#4 first by special delivery. Give them 7 days to send the information. We don't need to amend your defence just yet, we first of all need to wait and see if they can send any of the documents. If they can't (which is likely) we will amend your defence to reflect this and ask for the case to be thrown out. This will be done on an N244 form. We may also ask them for a statement of truth depending on their response to the CPR request, at which point they will probably just withdraw the claim.

Try to not worry about this and enjoy your Xmas :)

Rory, do you suggest that I send this N24 form which you mentioned? I feel a bit stuck as to what to do now.... thanks

Hi Pupstermum,

kind regards,

shane

I am really stuck as to what to do next with this Asset Link situation and wondered if you could advise me. I think I need an N244 form - but am not sure how to get this or what to do?

N244 is on the HMCS website under forms. What exactly have you sent to the court so far?

BANK CHARGES

Others