Deposit dispute, Iron mark on carpet

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5965 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all, just looking for some more advice on a current situation...

I left my last rental agreement on the 9th Dec, and was due to pick up my deposit last week. When i arrived to collect cheque from letting agency i was informed that a mark had been found on the carpet in the room i was letting.

It turns out an iron burn was found underneath a mat which had a chest of drawers on top, having never moved either i didnt know the burn existed.

The letting agency are trying to claim £100 from my deposit to cover its replacement. The carpet itself is of poor condition and poor quality, and looks probably getting on for 10 years old.

I guess its my own fault for not checking under the furniture when i moved in, but i am feeling very hard done by at being charged £100 for this?

Fair enough i guess i shall have to pay for the damage, but surely £100 is too high considering the current state and age of the carpet in question?

Thanks for any help, Jim

Well surely if the furniture hasnt moved and the landlord should know what furniture and where it was located when you moved in then how can they hold you liable.

It does sound like the mark has been hidden when you say under a mat under a unit, sounds strange that they have went to the bother of moving furniture to check for marks on carpets unless the furniture was in such a strange place that would make you think it was hiding something.

Wasnt there any pictures of the room in question taken before you moved in thus showing the place of the furniture as this would prove you innocent as you wouldnt move it to iron then put it back over the mark.

Something not quite right.

The new tenant decided she didnt like the room layout, so found it more by luck than judgement.

She also kindly let me back to inspect the mark, with iron, they dont tie up. Although i guess playing devils advocate i could of got a new iron.