Mobile Phone contract(s) HELP!

fables
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all - new here and hoping for some advice (I reckon i'm probably a hopeless cause in this case, but we'll see...)

This evening whilst perusing my bank statement online, I noticed something odd with my mobile phone direct debits, basically there were two lots going out every month even though, to my knowledge, I only had one contract. The payments were well apart within each month which kinda explains how I missed their duplication until now (no real excuse, I know...). Anyways, I just got off the phone with 3 and it turns out i've been paying for my current phone account along with my PREVIOUS account since JUNE 2006! As far as i recall, I had been bought out of this previous contract by phones4u in june 2006 (i received cash for the remaining months I had on this and got a new phone and number). Now it would appear that although I received money for the remaining months of this old contract, the contract was never actually cancelled. I am properly skint at the moment, what with it being christmas and all and could really do with all that money back! I suspect i don't have a leg to stand on as I have no documentation of cancellation or anything but as far as I was aware, my old contract would end once its length was up, hence the cashback (to cover the initial duplication). URRGGGH! Any help/hope would be most appreciated.

Cheers...

Fables

Hi fables!

...I received money for the remaining months of this old contract, the contract was never actually cancelled...and could really do with all that money back! I suspect i don't have a leg to stand on as I have no documentation of cancellation or anything but as far as I was aware, my old contract would end once its length was up, hence the cashback (to cover the initial duplication). URRGGGH! Any help/hope would be most appreciated...
I may not be the best person to advise U re: Mobile Phone Contracts, as I have only ever had a PAYG (...other than my works one, that is!).

However, I think that common sense dictates that your 1st step should be to write to 3 asap + immediately CANCEL YOUR OLD CONTRACT, as per the T&C's that 3 insist that U have to do, to do that.

That should at least STOP any further losses for a non-existent, redundant service.

Your 2nd step should be to contact your current Phone provider, phones4U, + request a Copy of your Original Credit Agreement for your NEW Phone + any T&C's.

U may find, that it was down to U, to cancel your Contract with 3 for your old Phone?...But, then again, it may not have been?!...:confused:

Here's a link to a Template £1 CCA 1974 Request Letter (...which U may need to modify to suit your own requirements?!)...

£1 CCA 1974 Request Letter

I'm unfamiliar with the way 3 works (...other than knowing that it piggybacks T-Mobile), but I assume that it's excuse for the original contract rolling on, would be that it causes 'less inconvenience' for it's valued customers!...:rolleyes:

Once U have had a look at the T&C's of your NEW Phone, if it was down to phones4U to have cancelled the original contract...It will be THEM that U will have to chase up.

If cancelling your original contract was down to U (...which, I suspect, seems more likely!), then your fight is with 3 itself.

...Although I don't fancy your chances, other than throwing yourself on the mercy of their Customer Services Dept.?!...:sad:

Hopefully someone should come along + clarify what I have just typed soon, or else tell U more precisely?!...:)

Cheers mate! - don't worry, i cancelled my contract over the phone with 3 last night, although they still tried to flog me an upgrade on it...

I'll send that off to phones4u and see what happens...

Thanks again!

...i cancelled my contract over the phone with 3 last night...
I would back up your telephone cancellation with 3 last night, with a written letter to them, confirming your request.

That way, if U keep a copy of your letter, U will have evidence to take to Court if they 'forget' what U told them over the telephone + continue to debit your current account!...;)

Don't forget to send your letter via Recorded Delivery also!...:)

A CCA request is useless as generally mobile phones are not covered by the CCA at all.

I would imagine it would have been your responsbility to have cancelled the old line, as per the Ts & Cs. You might want to try and challenge this with the store, however, maybe getting the store manager involved might get something sorted?

I would back up your telephone cancellation with 3 last night, with a written letter to them, confirming your request.

That way, if U keep a copy of your letter, U will have evidence to take to Court if they 'forget' what U told them over the telephone + continue to debit your current account!...;)

Don't forget to send your letter via Recorded Delivery also!...:)

Yeah - will do this today...

Do you think it's worth writing to phones4u and/or 3 and explaining the situation, perhaps appealing to their good nature....?? I've not touched this contract for over a year so it will be obvious that i didn't want it and while i appreciate it was an error on my part, either I was misinformed or the proceedure was not sufficiently clear.

Also re: speaking to phones4u manager, previous experience with them has taught me that they're the most unhelpful people in the world, so i'll hold on that one...

U will need to double check with phones4U about who was suppose to cancel the old contract, just to make sure it wasn't them.

Their payment to U to cover the remainder of your old contract suggests that it wasn't up to them though?!

Perhaps U could say something grovelling in your letter to 3 about it??

I think U would need to check online, 3's T&C's of providing a Service to U + their Termination proceedure etc, just to see if U can pick something up that may give U something that U can base your plea to them on?!