Imminent Security Threat - Capital 1 Card Holders

revolting peasant
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5966 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had a call tonight from the fraud department at Capital One.

They have identified repeated attempted use of counterfeit Capital One credit cards in ATMs in Thailand over the last 12 hours or so.

I have confirmed that the call is genuine by refusing to confirm any details with them and then calling them back. My account has now been suspended for my own security.

If you have a Capital One card and recieve a call telling you that they need to suspend your account I would suggest that you do the same and don't confirm any "security" details but call them back so you are sure that it is them you are speaking to. The call I had was definitely genuine. I know this because I called them back on two different numbers - the one they gave me and the one on my statement and I got the same story.

Admin - please feel free to move this to somewhere more appropriate but where it will be seen

hi RP,

thanks for the info, and just to second what you're saying, DONT GIVE ANY INFO OVER THE PHONE. IF ITS GENUINE THEN THEY'LL GIVE YOU THE SAME ANSWER WHEN YOU PHONE THEM BACK ON THE NUMBER THAT YOU KNOW TO BE GENUINE. dont accept the number that they give you, but do as RP did and ring them on the number THAT YOU ARE SURE OF.

Cheers RP.

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Not a problem, I NEVER accept to discuss my account -any account- with people who phone me, as I always hold that they could be anyone and if THEY're phoning ME at my home, I expect them to know who I am. (Besides, most of the time, it's either to chase up a bill or to try and sell me something, and I don't see the benefit in making life easy for these people :razz:) Annoys the hell out of them. :razz:

I genuinely received a call from Nat West security whilst in Thailand recently.

They didnt ask any personal details, but explained that fraud in severe there, so would i confirm use of my card.

All they wanted me to do was confirm my location.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

I haven't been in 5 long years, but the rule of thumb then was - don't let your credit card out of sight.

I realise that we're dealing with a totally different issue, but the Thai's are sods for this. As beautiful a race they truely are, as a poorer country, they seem to leave thier normally good values at home.

I haven't been in 5 long years, but the rule of thumb then was - don't let your credit card out of sight..

Im going back for the whole of May...Yipppeeeeee

We also had £535 cash stolen from our safety deposit box in the hotel.

So watch your cash to.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Lucky sod! I lost my safe deposit key once, and the Thai police/locksmiths were on thier way. In my panic I went for a nervous number two, and there it was, stashed behind the door!

(I then flew to Bangkok armed with 600 Baht, my mates were non too pleased!)

Apologies OP!

bw - my point is this is a genuine threat. I agree with what you are saying about not confirming details but if you have a C1 card check this one out
I perfectly understand what you say, my point was that if you refuse to confirm your details to a perfect stranger on the phone at all times, you can't get caught, whether the threat is genuine or not.

Don't EVER confirm your security details to someone who phones you, you never know who's at the other end. Simple as that. ;-)

Im going back for the whole of May...Yipppeeeeee

We also had £535 cash stolen from our safety deposit box in the hotel.

So watch your cash to.

I've never been to Thailand. If you take me with you Tontcee I'll guard your cash and cards for you:D

I had a security message pop up from Halifax this morning when i used my debit card on the internet,looks like things are really tightening up, i could not proceed until i registered with them

Dear MrSETMEFREE

You have successfully registered your Halifax card for Halifax Secure. As part of the global Verified by Visa programme, Halifax Secure helps prevent fraudulent use of your card from online stores by offering you password protection on transactions with all member stores.

When you enrolled you chose a password, which you will need to use when you make purchases with any merchants who participate in the scheme. By doing this you are protecting yourself and your Halifax card against Online Fraud.

What you need to do now

All the information you need to set up and use your card with Halifax Secure can be found on our website by clicking on this link Frequently Asked Questions.

When you registered, you will have received a pre-assigned log-in name, which is MR SETMEFREE You should now personalise your account to make your log-in name more memorable by visiting Frequently Asked Questions and clicking on Update Visa Details on the left-hand side. You will be required to supply a 'personal message' (a memorable word or phrase) as an additional security measure.

Your 'personal message' will be displayed to you whenever you make a Halifax Secure purchase. Whenever you see this 'personal message' displayed as you are about to make a transaction, you can be sure that you are connected directly to Halifax and that your transaction is secure. You can then proceed with confidence in making your online purchase.

If you have any questions regarding the scheme or which merchants are members then you can visit our website on Frequently Asked Questions, which will answer any queries you have.

This is an outbound only message, any queries sent to this email address cannot be answered.

Kind regards,

Halifax Secure

Activation Details:

Activation date: 19/12/07