Help with Regal credit

pebs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About 2 1/2 years ago I booked a holiday (in my name) with my now ex partner but we cancelled it and asked for a refund when we split.

They refunded £1,100 back on to my ex partners debit card and i didnt have any more contact with him.

Then the following april I recieved a letter from the holiday company saying when they were doing their end of year accounts they noticed they had paid the £1,100 on the card twice and I have to pay it back, I ignored the letter thinking they would just apply to his card but then Regal Credit got involved a year ago, so as the booking was in my name I agreed £10 per week which I have ben paying ever since.

It is becoming too much for me to pay now and so I rang them and asked for it to be reduced to £5 but they wont budge.

Do I have to pay anything at all since it was not refunded to me in the first place?

And who are Regal Credit ? Have they bought the debt or do they collect on behalf of the client?

You terminated a contract with the holiday company and they gave a refund of the deposit etc. They then repaid that deposit to your ex. They then refunded it again to your ex.

Erm... why are you paying? They have paid the money twice but their claim isn't against you but against your ex. The argument is between your ex, the holiday company and the card issuer. You aren't involved.

You have the basis of a claim to get the money back you've paid. How much so far??

I have paid £600 back - £500 still owing.

They said as the booking was in my name the debt belongs to me.

I didnt want to get taken to court so I agreed to pay....but I`m getting sick of it now!

Yes Chuckles, the original debt (the holiday) was a joint debt. The credit card cock up is not!

By the way - I've charged you £100 for this advice and you've got to pay me. Would you?? No you wouldn't and that's why you shouldn't pay them. They were not entitled to your money and you should write and ask for it back. You may need to get heavy with them but they are in a very weak position.

Hey - pebs -I realise you've been paying this - and it's been refunded to your ex's card - do you have any proof of this?

Edz - coming in and calling her "chuckles" is really not helpful - is it?

Pebs - if you need a letter - I'll draft you one.

Post again and I'll do my best to help.

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Hippy - I saw a little fluffy pussy cat and immedately thought "chuckles" - it wasn't me being patronising, I was just being friendly. She's being ripped off big style and I don't like that.

I read her first post and it is obvious that she can string a good, properly punctuated, letter together so she should be able to do it. I remember one of the first posts I read on here was one where everything was done for the poster and it didn't work right in the end. I'm a firm beleiver that everone can be a brain surgeon if they are taught to be one!

Hey - pebs -I realise you've been paying this - and it's been refunded to your ex's card - do you have any proof of this?

Edz - coming in and calling her "chuckles" is really not helpful - is it?

Pebs - if you need a letter - I'll draft you one.

Post again and I'll do my best to help.

Hi,

Thanks Hippy Chick!

I dont really have proof that it was refunded onto ex`s card although they only have to check the records to see where the payment went.

Regal Credit know the payment never came to me but they said because I was the one who made the booking I was responsible.

They said I would be taken to court and incur more charges so I just agreed to pay.

Try this;

“You may know the background to this debt – but so that you are in no doubt I will set the position down in writing.

My former boyfriend had a refund made to his credit card sometime around xxx of 2005 following the end of our relationship and the subsequent cancellation of our holiday. This was made by xxxx Holiday Company. The same holiday company then made a further refund to his card sometime afterwards. This further refund (made in error) is the subject of your continued correspondence.

I was misled into accepting liability for this error by threats of court action, when it is now clear that the liability is a matter for the Holiday Company, my former boyfriend and the card issuer.

I have paid £xxx to you in respect of this debt and you should refund it immediately. Failure to do so will result in Court action to recover the money.”

You will get it back but I think you'll have to do money claim on line to get it though. Send the letter special delivery. If they don't reply then we'll do a money claim after 3 weeks. I'd say two normally, but christmas and all that...

I hope you don't think I was being condescending, chuckles :confused: