court without Ins and licence!

Skip 1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I am not sure If anyone will ever feel sorry for me with my stupidity of driving a BMW without either o fthe above - but I could not resist it. Now it looks like I will have to pay teh price - young and foolish.

I was court on sarurday mornig without full licence or insurance, my car was inpounded and I got it back yesterday after paying £153.00.

I face court soon - someone adviced me that if I get my licence and insure the car, I might have a chance of not been banned.

Has this ever happened to you or anyone you know - please adviced me.

Kind Regards

Skip to the lou!icon8.gif

Both offences will attract penalty points as well as a fine. As such, even if you were to pass a test and get a full licence, it will be automatically revoked by DVLA under the New Driver legislation (6 penalty points within the first 2 years revokes the licence - nothing to do with any Court, simply an administrative function of the DVLA).

No insurance is usually £200 fine + costs + £15 victim surcharge. If you have no licence, then you will probably be disqualified; if you have a provisional, then it is a different offence (driving other than in accordance with the conditions of your licence)

Pretty expensive for a few minutes of utter stupidity - I hope you find that it was worth it. And you're right - no sympathy whatsoever.

How did you get the car back without producing valid documents?

I think it's only recently that the DVLA have been 'clever' enough to realise that not having any licence at all actually happens.

A friend of mine from years ago was caught (many times as it happens), but as he never had even a provisional licence, the points were never added to it.

The DVLA have no record of him existing, so it was difficult for them to add points.

By the time he actually got his licence, he should have been banned several times over on the points system alone, yet, he was unhindered when being provided a clean new licence.

Just FYI.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

You haven't provided a lot of information about whether there are any aggravating or mitigating factors, and your previous criminal record, so it is difficult to assess what is likely to happen.

I assume from your post that you admitted guilt. If you did this at the earliest opportunity, you will receive full credit (33%) for the early admission of guilt.

The penalty in this case I imagine is likely to be a fine for not being insured, which will be tapered to your income. You will almost certainly be banned for driving whilst unlicensed. Its possible also that you may be ordered to do community service or to forefit the vehicle. You would additionally have to pay costs. Ofcourse I'm basing this on an assumption of first offence, no aggravating factors, and immeidate guilty plea.

Ultimately you have to wait and see what the Magistrates (or DJ) say.

Davjoh

Here to help!

Good with employment, disability and welfare/benefit questions :rolleyes:

Just ask!

The answer to your question is that you have no chance of not being banned.

I'm sorry to add that a suspended prison sentence is not unknown in these circs.

This is not to admonish the OP here but people should be aware that the consequences for injured victims of uninsured drivers can be extremely serious. Of course there is now the MIB but that is not without difficulties and can lead to reduced compensation. Driving uninsured is a shameful and selfish thing to do.

Patdavies/Dave/Davjoh - thanks you all for advice and criticism!

I think the advice I was looking for most was whether getting a licence now prior to court woulr help - I guess not.

I have had a provional licence for 9 years and failed the practical test twice.The insurance on the car run out 30th Oct-07 and was stopped before I could renew it.

Davjoh - I admitted guilt to the police but I am not sure what you mean about the 33%. I have no past criminal record whatsoever.

Any extra advice based on the above would help - I pass on my experience to other so they don't make teh same stuppid mistake.

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 10110001
Driving uninsured is a shameful and selfish thing to do.

Better explain that to drivers in New Zealand, driving without insurance is not an offence.

I was done for no insurance in the 1980's, I couldn't produce documents and had no means of knowing who my insurer was. I was fined £240 and given ten points. We moved in 1996 and found the missing insurance documents from the 80's, I presented them to the same magistrates court for a refund but I was out of time and the penalty stands.

The answer to your question is that you have no chance of not being banned.

I'm sorry to add that a suspended prison sentence is not unknown in these circs.

This is not to admonish the OP here but people should be aware that the consequences for injured victims of uninsured drivers can be extremely serious. Of course there is now the MIB but that is not without difficulties and can lead to reduced compensation. Driving uninsured is a shameful and selfish thing to do.

Men In Black?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

So that was affirmative?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

Patdavies/Dave/Davjoh - thanks you all for advice and criticism!

I think the advice I was looking for most was whether getting a licence now prior to court woulr help - I guess not.

I have had a provional licence for 9 years and failed the practical test twice.The insurance on the car run out 30th Oct-07 and was stopped before I could renew it.

Davjoh - I admitted guilt to the police but I am not sure what you mean about the 33%. I have no past criminal record whatsoever.

Any extra advice based on the above would help - I pass on my experience to other so they don't make teh same stuppid mistake.

Thanks in advance

It might help yes

You could apply for a licence now depending on your circumstances this may reduce the sentence or remove it. If the judge is having a good day.

I myself think you should have the right to choose if you have a licence or not. But if you kill someone in the veichle your in control of and it was your fault, and your silly enough to get caught then you deserve to goto jail.

Sorry for the harsh ending but I hope I helped.

Further .... Was this a private firm that took your car from you?