20 Year old debt.......?

Nick W
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5967 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My friend has a debt which is 20 years old.

He had a CCJ against him 20 years ago with a finance company for a loan.

The CCJ allowed for installments of £20 per month.

He has kept to this to date, but now the finance solicitors want to increase payments or get him to have a medical (as he cant work) to confirm this.

1) Would I be correct in thinking that the debt is NOT statute barred as he has kept making the payments?

2) I assume he can tell the Solicitors to bugger off as he has kept to the agreement?

3) Should he fire of a CCA and see if the agreement is valid at all?

Any other ideas or does that about do it?

Cheers

Nick

1) Would I be correct in thinking that the debt is NOT statute barred as he has kept making the payments?

Yes, but as there is a CCJ it wouldn't be statute barred even if he hadn't paid it.
2) I assume he can tell the Solicitors to bugger off as he has kept to the agreement?

Yes, only the court can vary the agreement.
3) Should he fire of a CCA and see if the agreement is valid at all?

That would be fairly pointless IMO as the CCJ enforces the debt and after 20 years he would have no chance of getting a set aside on the CCJ.
Any other ideas or does that about do it?

Are there any charges on the account?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

And I typed more :p;)

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

How about this???

If he speak to the Sols and asks them for a copy of the CCJ Order.

I doubt after 20 years they would have the actual order as the Court wont keep a copy as it drops of their system after 6 years.

If they DONT have a copy, then he doesnt need pay? There would be no record?

Thoughts?????

Cheers

Nick

The whole point of a CCJ is to ensure payment of a debt

it would still no doubt be recorded with the courts somewhere, although at 20 years old, it would still be worth asking them to verify the details of the CCJ and see what they come up with.

As Rory says, they can't do a thing to change the payments without returning to court with a bloody good argument.

If your friend is too ill too work he could apply to the court to have the amount varied to a lower rate ;)

I had thought about that! But it was set £5 a month 20 years ago, with inflation etc, they would rasie it???

Nick