• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Seatbelt fine - DRAKES

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5922 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys

On 190907 this year i was stopped and given a fixed penalty charge of £30.00 for not wearing a seatbelt.

Due to some ignorance and some neglect i failed to pay the fine. The fine went up to £45.00 and again I was too lazy to deal with it.

I have now received a letter from Drakes demanding £95.00 within 7 days. No arguments up until now... I'm willing to pay the £95.00 and called them today to make the payment.

The problem is I have been away and only opened the Drakes letter on Saturday. The date on the letter is 28/11/07. I called them to pay the £95.00 but the lady i spoke to stated that the matter had been referred to one of their bailiffs and she wasn't sure if he had visited the property yet. If he had then there would be further charges. She put me through to the bailiff to whom i spoke to personally. He advised that 3 visits had been made at various times by a bailiff alraedy to my address and the fine had been increased by a further £150.00.

I advised him that the only notification I had received from them was the original warning letter of 28/11/07. There had been no other letters suggesting that a visit had been attempted (i'm sure they're supposed to leave a notice of some sort at every visit if there's no answer???)

Upon advising him of the above he became pretty agitated and said he would check his papers again. After faffing with his papers he then advised that I owe the £95.00 plus a charge of £100.00 as i had left it later than the 7 days on the warning notice of 28/11/07. A total of £195.00.

I arranged to call him personally next Monday to make a payment but didn't say how much.

My question is that even after explaining to him that I had been away and couldn't get their warning in time... can they STILL charge a further £100.00 despite them NOT having visited my property and taken no further action apart from the original letter of 28/11/07?

I realise it's my own stupidity that got me into the mess but am willing to pay the £95.00 without any question. It's just the further charges they are placing that are bothering me.

Any advice would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

PS i'm sorry if the thread is in the wrong place. I started in what i thought was the most appropriate section.

I would say that if there is no contest over the original fine and that it is through your own fault that the fine was not paid that you had best get this paid soonest. Drakes are one of the bailiff firms appointed by HM Courts to collect outstanding fines and there is every chance that this will escalate very quickly and end in all sorts of unpleasantness.

IIRC bailiffs can lawfully charge a set scale of fees which include £50 for a first letter, then £100 for an attendance fee. It sounds as though they have waived the letter fee, but they will not reduce the attendance fee. The issue of whether a card was left or not is probably academic - they may well insist that cards were left and ignored - after all (they will argue) you did ignore the fine in the first place.

As the matter progresses the next stage will most likely be to immobilise your car (for a further £100) then tow it (for a further £125) then charge £15 a day storage. Even if they can't locate your car, they will keep coming back and charge for their services.

You could try at the Bailiff_Forum for more qualified advice, but this looks to me like a sad case of having to cough up, high as the charges may seem. Sorry.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

The fees being charge by Drakes are wrong. When they were awarded the contract by HMCS they are bound by the fee scale in their contract. It varies slightly between different areas of the country. Which part of the UK are you in ?

In addition, bailiffs enforcing outstanding fines on behelf of HMCS must ....according to the terms of their contract be certificated bailiffs.

I'm in the North West (Burnley Area)

Are they not allowed to charge up to £50 for the first letter?

Also the vehicle i was in was a hire vehicle i was using at the time. I'm in the process of writing to them to inform them of this but not too sure what to put in the letter.

Thanks for your help

Are they not allowed to charge up to £50 for the first letter?

They are indeed but the cost isn't just for sending you the letter. The £50 is an office administration charge which also includes the handling of the warrant upon receipt (ie: data input), tracing checks via Experian/DVLA.

The bailiffs at Drakes use hand held PDA's called Q'Teks in conjunction with a GPS. Upon visiting a property, the bailiff must "Q'Tek" the visit through which updates the warrant details on Drakes' server. If you phone Drakes, they should be able to tell you the times and dates of the visits the Bailiff claims to have made.

PS: The new fee structure comes into force on the 1st Jan increasing the attendance to £175 automatically. If upon further questioning of Drakes it appears at least one visit has been made, I suggest you pay the balance today or on the 31st when Drakes reopens after Xmas. Otherwise, the new balance will be £270.

Certificated Bailiff

The fees mentioned are set for any debt to the court between £0-£400.

The cost of enforcing the warrant is the same if the bailiff has to attend and force the issue. If the debt was paid in the first place, it would have cost only £30.

I dare say boom_boom won't be so "lazy" if there's a next time.

Certificated Bailiff

Wow!! - I've certainly learned something new today - the police can issue an FPN which if remains unpaid/unchallenged, by-passes the conventional criminal courts system & is passed straight to the likes of DRAKE for enforcement. (I have first-hand knowledge of their 'methods' which have also previously been reported in the media - a law unto themselves).

Meanwhile.........my car whilst parked-up, gets 'written-off' back in July following a non-stop RTA which I and even two PCSO'S witnessed - I managed to get the VRM & reported the matter to the police immediately. The police have known from the outset who the owner/driver is & where he lives yet he still remains to be interviewed & dealt with, among other things. for no insurance whilst continuing to drive around with impunity.

Please note, I only make mention of this in order to vent my anger and frustration at the injustice of the 'system' and have no intention of hi-jacking the thread with this completely seperate issue.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas & a Happier New Year.

Guest 10110001
The Courts usually give six months grace on the certification of a bailiff where court fines are concerned so it's not really relevant.

Your next course of action?

Pay the fine on the 31st before the fees increase on the 2nd Jan.

Not true.

I revoked a bailiffs entitlement to charge fees for a PCN last year and recovered everything. I also claimed damages from Drakes for their unwilingness to cooperate with me, they lied in writing saying their bailiff was certifictated. A court made a finding of fact contradicting this against Drakes and it revoked the bailiffs liability insurance.

The bailiff must be certificated, othwise the consumer can reclaim the bailiffs fees from the ticket issuing authority in the small claim track.

Guest 10110001
I openly admit my neglect on the matter but should the bailiff not be certificated? If a bailiff is not certificated then what is my course of action? Who do i need to contact?

Phone the public register on 0207 210 0516. If he was not certificated on the date of enforcement, reclaim the fees from the authority that issued the PCN. Do not name Drakes as a joint defendant.

Phone the public register on 0207 210 0516. If he was not certificated on the date of enforcement, reclaim the fees from the authority that issued the PCN. Do not name Drakes as a joint defendant.

I have already checked with them and they state that the named bailiff does not appear on their register. However i don't know where i stand now with the following:

Today 10:19John McKennaThe Courts usually give six months grace on the certification of a bailiff where court fines are concerned so it's not really relevant.

Your next course of action?

Pay the fine on the 31st before the fees increase on the 2nd Jan.

Should i pay the bailiffs the outstanding amount and then challenge them thru the small claims process or do it now and possibly incurr further fees which will also need to be challenged???

Confused

Guest 10110001

You can dispute the fees and pay the council direct minus trhe fees. If the council refuses, then pay the bailiff with a credit card along with his fees, then reclaim it from the council in the small claims track - and add your costs plus statutory interest.

PM sent.

You can dispute the fees and pay the council direct minus trhe fees. If the council refuses, then pay the bailiff with a credit card along with his fees, then reclaim it from the council in the small claims track - and add your costs plus statutory interest.

PM sent.

I think you may have misunderstood my original post. It's actually a seatbelt fine being enforced by the magistrates court... not a council debt.

Would i still use the same procedure?

Also does the following hold any importance or truth?

The Courts usually give six months grace on the certification of a bailiff where court fines are concerned so it's not really relevant.

Thanks

Guest 10110001

Would i still use the same procedure?

The chargeback legislation is the same, if you are defrauded by a bailiff when he obtained a money transfer on credit between you and your bank then you can still revoke it.

Also does the following hold any importance or truth?

The certificating court might think its OK, and will probably dismiss your complaint. but if you file a small claim against the bailiff or the aggressor (the person or body instructing the bailiff) and put in your witness statement the facts on when his certificate expired, you will get a finding of fact and its very likely you will get your judgment.

I know a case involving an uncertificated Drakes bailiff, and I had two judges at different courts contradict each other in their findings.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this isn't out of place but I came upon this forum when searching about Seatbelt Fines and you all seem very clued up on British Law.

I recieved a £30 seatbelt fine on the 16th of December in Scotland (unsure if English & Scots law is exactly the same for this matter) and was given 28 Days to pay. Unfortunately through neglect I totally forgot about it and now have till tomorrow to pay. Due to private circumstances I may be unable to pay in time. Does anyone know if I would be given the £45 fine that boom_boom received or would it go straight to the court and be an unlimited fine?

many thanks

I hope this isn't out of place but I came upon this forum when searching about Seatbelt Fines and you all seem very clued up on British Law.

I recieved a £30 seatbelt fine on the 16th of December in Scotland (unsure if English & Scots law is exactly the same for this matter) and was given 28 Days to pay. Unfortunately through neglect I totally forgot about it and now have till tomorrow to pay. Due to private circumstances I may be unable to pay in time. Does anyone know if I would be given the £45 fine that boom_boom received or would it go straight to the court and be an unlimited fine?

many thanks

For the offence of not wearing a seatbelt, the matter is usually dealt with by a Fixed Penalty Notice (£30).

With an FPN, you either pay within the given time or elect to go to Court. (note that you must contact them and elect for a court hearing - it isn't an automatic consequence on non-payment). If you elect for Court and lose, there is no scope for an unlimited fine (max = £500) - and you will additionally have to pay the prosecution costs claim (usually around £35) and the £15 victim surcharge (I think this applied in Scotland as well)

If you do neither, then the FPN will be enforced as though it were a court issued fine.