books to read before you die!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As there is a film thread and i'm more of a book person I thought this may be a good topic.

Fiction

The Pickwick Papers, great expectations, nicolas nickelby-Charles Dickens

Jane Erye-Charlotte Bronte

The Book of ultimate Truths-Robert Rankin

The Erye Affair (and the Sequels) -Jasper Fforde

Going solo, boy-Roald Dahl

the time travellers wife-the niffenwotsit woman (i can't spell her name)

the paddington books by micheal bond

the steps up the chimmney - william corlett (plus sequels)

Emma, mansfield park, northanger abbey-jane Austen

IT, desperation,the regulators, misery-stephen king

The neverending story-micheal ende

The woman in white- wilkie collins

Anyone else? I'm always looking for a good book, and i haven't even touched on the great non-fiction books i've read

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to e-bay, do a search for Jane Duncan, the "My Friends..." series. In the 60/70s, she was one of the top sellers in the UK, but sadly, she is fast being forgotten and I try to encourage as many people as I can to discover her absolutely wonderful books.

Nabakov: Lolita

Voltaire: Candide

All of Jane Austen

Douglas Adams: Hitchhiker's Guide - all of them

Terry Pratchett - the whole lot

Louis Carroll - everything

Spike Milligan: Silly Verse for Kids

Vera Brittain: Testament of Youth

And that's just some of my favourite fiction.

:)

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Hi HC, The Spike Milligan silly verse for kids. This is one of my most treasured possesions. My teacher gave me her copy when I was 9 cos I loved his poems soooo much. I receite his poetry all the time. I am currently reading 'The Bible according to Spike Milligan' His version of 'Lady Chatterleys Lover' was amusing.

I can't find my copy.

:mad:

Also Hilaire Belloc: Selected Cautionary Tales

Edward Lear

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

George Orwell - 1984 - my favourite book!

Firestarter - Stephen King (before he got all 'posh' and poo)

The Spear - James Herbert

Lightning - Koontz

Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown (it might be poorly written, but it's a good fast read - same goes for the other 3 of his too)

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

And everything else by Orwell as well

Ian Rankin: all the Rebus books.

Oh - and my Bible:

Lynne Truss: Eats Shoots and Leaves. I've read the rest of her books, but they're not as good, imo.

Oh - and my Bible:

Lynne Truss: Eats Shoots and Leaves. I've read the rest of her books, but they're not as good, imo.

Indeed. That reminds me of another one: Watching the English, by Kate Fox. Anthropology has never been more entertaining. :-D

I'll have to put that one on my wish list. Another of my favourites for dipping into is Schott's Original Miscellany. Great for reading in the bath - and for quiz ideas.

vera brittain - testament of youth...just got the shivers when i saw that - boy did i struggle with that one for my A level. and that was years ago!!!!!

Oh - I love it - such a statement of feminism. And all those brilliant lives lost due to the great war. It makes me cry, even now.

You should! And the TV adaptation was not bad, either.

Guest louis wu

Ringworld - Larry Niven

The Nights Dawn Trilogy - Peter F Hamilton

Everything by Tom Sharpe, but especially Wilt (so much better than the TV adaptation)

Tom Sharpe - agreed! Very funny books - don't agree with Wilt being the best one though, for me it was Porterhouse Blues.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

George Orwell - 1984

Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita

Harper Lee - To kill a mockingbird

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

Oh - I love it - such a statement of feminism. And all those brilliant lives lost due to the great war. It makes me cry, even now.

Yes, a great book .. and have you read Vera Britten's Testament of Friendship? Very very moving ...

Oh yes, and Testament of Experience as well.

LOL wino

Virginia Woolf: A Room of One's Own