Windows XP assistance needed

Guest louis wu

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest louis wu

Is there any way I can find where all my memory space has gone.

I have a 60 gb hard drive, defrag and clean regulary, and recently had a good clean up and deleted a load of old files (mainly music and photo's)

I have just checked the hard drive, and it says I have a total size of 57.2gb and free space of 23.4.gb. That means I have got 34 gb stored somewhere, but my files only have about 2 gb in them. All I have is a few photo's, some music, general letters and essays.

Does anyone know of a way I can find out what, and where, all this data is stored?

Thanks

louis

Stupid question but did you empty your recycle bin??

Victory over Lloyds £890

Click!

Victory over Vodafone: default removal

click!

Victory over Lloyds PPI claim £2606 click!

Barclaycard lazygoing - £580 + £398 contractual int at 17.7 % click! (Received partial payment £110 21/11/06)

The GF's battle against RBS click! stayed awaiting the end of the world

If you go in your "uninstall programmes", you'll see how much space is taken by software, you might get a surprise. MS Office takes quite a bit of space, for example.

Going through Windows Explorer will show you all that is on your drive, but you'll have to hover on each to know what they hold and size.

Now could be the time to save on disc those essays and music and stuff, and reformat your drive to factory settings, amazing the amount of dross that will disappear that you will never miss. ;-)

Guest louis wu

A reformat is a must, and I plan on doing that early next year.

I was more curious really, I just can't understand how I've used so much memory.

Yes, the recycle bin is empty, I've made that mistake before:o.

I'm unsure about windows explorer, never heard of it to be honest. I will look it up and see what it comes up with.

Thanks for the replies

louis

It could be that your XP is installed into a small partition and the rest is unformatted. I had to re-install XP spprox. 3 years ago and managed to re-format a huge partition that would run everything I needed... WP, Broadband and so on. I can't remember much about this now.... it was one of those all or nothing situations... but I've not had any problems since and the file format is on NCPS or something like that.

Not sure if that's helped or confused you even more. :confused:

If you have Peer Guardian running the history file needs deleting regularly. The last time I forgot, and by the time I remembered it was over 30Gig.

Just a though...

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the star!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.

If in any doubt professional legal advice should be sought.

I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big

oily truck driver and all I know has been learned within the

Consumer Action Group.

FAQ's

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Trying to stop smoking?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/give-up-smoking-here/

A dummies guide to the forums

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

--

KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

http://www.bornfree.org.uk

BORN FREE FOUNDATION

--

Have you deleted cookies?. ..

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers