• Tweets

• It is sb'd what are you going on about...   You sent last deferment 11/02/2011. Claim issued 08/03/2017......more than 6yrs apart    Dx
    • Discover Hairdressing Apprenticeships with Salon Sixty Six and #CreateYourFutureView the full article
    • Hi, this is my first time posting here, I hope Im posting at the right place. This is a long story... prepare for a long read! I hired a local painter & decorator (lets call him Painter R, R stands for rogue lol) back in late July to do the work in my house. The work includes painting of the ceiling and walls in the house, and also fixing a ceiling of the extension (where the old conservatory is, the previous owner made it into an extension. It was leaking at the extension, the ceiling was therefore taken down before for two months to let it dry up, and I needed someone to put it back). I asked "Painter R" what kind of paint is he going to use, he said he is using Crown paint. I asked him is it good paint, is it durable, resist to mold, resist to acid (I meant to say corrosive, but mind my English), and he said yes. My house is not a very small house, its a 4 bedroom house. The whole job was £4650, and I accepted the quote since I wasn't able to find anyone else at that time. The work began at early August, "Painter R" sent 2 boys to come and work on my house. The work was delayed for a bit, and eventually took two weeks, but everything "seemed" fine (since I am no expert, i didnt really know what to look at, as long as the painting seems ok, ceilings put back, I was "fine" with it. I did point out some small things out and they did fix them/they said they would but sometime they didnt and I had to tell them again), so I paid the full amount with direct debit when the job was almost all done (Painter R called me up to urge me to pay, stating that he will have to pay the guys "tomorrow", since he and his guys were pretty friendly so I did it, what a BIG MISTAKE I did).   There were issues with them, including I asked them to fit some of my blinds back, but they did not put any of them back, and also thrown away the brackets, at first he was trying to make me leave it, stating he doesnt remember me asking him to put any of them back. Luckily, I stated it in the text messages that I wanted some of them back, so he sent someone back to fit some of them. And made a deal with me that he is not charging me for an extra hole that needed to be filled, and a piece of wood that they put back (but was not very well done, another trader who, I found later on, agreed with me), so that they will not come back to fit one set of blinds back (which originally, fitting back all blinds is part of the job), however, I accepted it because the conversation was getting nowhere. Two weeks after the ceiling was put back, there were cracks and bulges appeared, I called them up, they came back to fix it, cracks still exist afterwards, so I called them up again, they came back to "fix" it again. This time, the guy used a lot of fillers, making the ceiling an uneven ceiling to try and cover up a crack, but still, the crack exists, even to this day. Worth mentioning is that, the paint that he mentioned they would use is Crown paint, but the paint that the guy left behind after fixing the ceiling, is just cheap paint that you can buy from B&Q. Now, here comes the real problem. Around 30th Sep I had cleaners to clean the house for me since my carpets are being fitting on 6th Oct, it was found that the paint can be washed off, just by gently rubbing it with water using fingers, and the paint could be seen dissolves on fingers! I called "Painter R" up, and was told that he was not in the country. "Painter R" finally called me back on 5th Oct, he said he never stated what kind of paint he would be using, and he said this is what he meant about wipe-able and non wipe-able paint, (in which I dont really remember he told me anything about it, but even if my memory is messing with me, that he really did talk to me about this and even, lets say, recorded it, since I am no expert/professionals at painting, I would think "wipe-able" meaning "the paint can be wiped with a damped cloth without any problem", and "non wipe-able" meaning  "the paint will not be wiped off by a damped cloth", who would expect the paint to be washed off just by water?!?!) He said things like, he has painted a hundred houses like that, its a standard paint to be used in all new builds in England, etc. He was very rude on the phone, stating he "even used a wipe-able paint for me in the kitchen and dining room and bathrooms already", but I found that the paint at the two small rooms (one bathroom, one toilet), can also be washed off easily. So he said he will send someone to paint those two rooms with the right paint that Saturday (9th Oct), nothing more. He said there is no way he is going to repaint the whole house for me. So I said to him "my carpet is being fitted on 6th, what if any paint dripped on them?". He said "Im not going to do anything after the carpet is fitted, or you will find the slightest thing on the carpet and charge me for it." The conversation went on, eventually he said, "Im not going to do anything after the carpet is fitted, you had your chance, good bye." and he hung me up! I called him back straightly, and he said, "So what do you want?" I stated I still needed those 2 rooms fixed, so he said he will send someone to paint those two rooms with the right paint that Saturday, and he wont guarantee anything about making my floor dirty. I accepted it. Then I called up citizensadvice, and asked them what to do, then followed some of their advice. I quickly found a trusted trader from a website recommended by citizensadvice, and talked to the trusted trader (Lets call him "Trusted trader A"). He was a kind gentleman who listened to my problem, and he quickly identified that the paint they used, was very likely cheap contract matt, which is not suitable for a redecoration job like in my house. He told me to use a silky, soft cloth damped with water, to wipe the walls left to right for around 10 times and see what happens, so I did, with a car washing cloth damped with just cold water, and the paint was being washed off everywhere (apart from Kitchen, Dining room, utility room and the main bathroom)! I told "Painter R", "I am already seeing the old blue paint on the bathroom wall just after 10 seconds of gently wiping with a damped cloth", he told me to "stop wiping the wall, now you are damaging it" I told "Painter R", "you did not apply primers before using that paint on top of it". He answered: "There's no such thing as primers for walls! You do not know what you are talking about I'm afraid"   On 6th Weds, "Painter R" said he has given the paint to his painter for Saturday morning (9th Oct) and the painter will be there at 9am. I asked "Painter R" what kind of paint he is using this time, he mentioned the name of a paint which "trusted trader A" said should erase the problem. I asked "Painter R" how many coats is he applying, he said only 1, I asked why not 2? (because 2 costs is always recommended) Guess how he answered me? He said "If I get anymore messages no one is coming on Saturday". So I stopped texting him as advised by "Trusted trader A". I also sent a formal complaint letter on 7th Oct to "Painter R" through email, stating Consumer Rights Act 2015 in the letter and mentioned that he can continue to perform the fixings that he is going to do that Saturday, also stated about what other things I wanted, asking him to reply me in 14 days. He never replied, and no one ever came on Saturday 9th Oct. I texted both "Painter R" and the worker who "Painter R" said would be coming, none of them ever replied. I havent been in touch with them since. I paid "Trusted trader A" to come and have a look at the house on the following Sunday morning 10th Oct, and he wrote me a report and gave me a quote (since I needed quote from at least 3 traders.) "Trusted trader A" pointed out 3 things in the report: 1: The walls prior to painting could have been a sheen finish and may have required a primer to stop the penetration occurring now, there are plenty of primers on the market  2: Preparation could be an issue, if the walls had been abraded off using grade 120 sandpaper to key the surface down prior to application of paints and a Vinyl or Durable Matt used  3: The product used looks and feels like a contract Matt product, which would normally be used on new plaster finish and would not be recommended for a redecoration product. Trusted trader A" Also stated that the quality of the work in some areas was not very good. I also found another trusted trader from another trusted website (Lets call him "Trusted trader B") "Trusted trader B" pointed out a lot of things that were not done right by "Painter R". He said similar things as "Trusted trader A", stating that the work was done poorly, preparation was not done properly. He stated that, some people would ask for contract matt to be used because its very cheap. However, for a 4650 job, it really shouldnt be contract matt unless you specified you wanted contract matt (which I obviously didnt). And the ceilings that was put back by "Painter R", was not done right, no metal corners were used, and hence why the corners dont look straight. I also found that all the ceilings in the house is painted with contract matt, and can be wiped off easily using a damped soft cloth. Im getting 2 quotes for the paintings of walls and ceilings from the two trusted trader. (as I was told to get quotes from 3 traders.) but for now, I am only able to get 1 quote for the fixing of the ceiling from "Trusted trader B". Following the advice from citizensadvice, I should be writing a letter with more serious manner 14 days after I sent the first. With the average of 3 quotes attached which I am still yet to be able to find. If the trader still do not reply me 10 days after that, Ill have to go for the small claim court.     After the long read... I would like to know, what else should I do next? Is it likely for me to win the small claim case? I really need some help and advises here.
    • Meet inspiring apprentice Samah and watch her video from Amazing Apprenticeships which focuses on her job role, experience and apprenticeship journey, and offers thoughtful […]View the full article
    • Fraudsters are using the details of firms we authorise to try to convince people that they work for a genuine, authorised firm. Find out more about this 'clone firm'.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Recommended Topics

Fuel protest

nat

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5055 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Nat, I work in the road haulage industry. Normally if anything is going to happen the grapevine goes to overload. I've made a few calls and nobody seems to know anything. There was talk of something in January but this is to do with the new emmissions charge in London. So this is the first i've heard of this (I'm in the North West)

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I've been on the Road Haulage Association website. They have put out a statement about Transaction 2007:

'Transaction 2007' - RHA Statement

The Road Haulage Association feels it necessary to make a number of urgent points concerning the Association and the pressure group calling itself “Transaction 2007”.

The RHA is not “in Association with” the pressure group, although this assertion is made on its website. The expressions used such as “RHA/Transaction 2007 members” are highly misleading, implying a relationship which does not exist.

The RHA has never been involved in negotiations with “Transaction 2007” but has, as a matter of courtesy, held discussions with RHA members who are also part of the pressure group.

The RHA will always support members who wish to protest legally where members have expressed that wish through the RHA regional organisation.

Comments within “Transaction 2007” suggesting that legal and peaceful protests would produce no results and that more direct action should be taken are unacceptable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have searched the site and there is nothing to suggest that the RHA is involved with arranging for it's members to protest this Saturday. I believe this is just a small group of people going ahead with this without the back up or support of the large haulage associations. As I have said in another thread. Unless all the organisations get togeather and act as one, the Government will not pay much attention.

Appears that Saturday 15th December 2007 at 10:00am is the day of action. The above link provides futher details

Did anyone else 'Blink' and missed the protest. A bit of a damp squib if you ask me. I've said it before the only way to be listened to is if all the organisations act together. One small group acting on their own won't have that much impact.:(

"Did anyone else 'Blink' and missed the protest. A bit of a damp squib if you ask me. I've said it before the only way to be listened to is if all the organisations act together. One small group acting on their own won't have that much impact.:sad:"

Same old, Same old. People are always quick to criticise. Maybe you should of registered your support. I bet when CAG set up they said the same thing. Now look.

The only way to get organisations to listen is for people to do something about it together. I didnt go and protest as no where to protest near me. I felt bad.

This needs to become a major issue. The tax on fuel is running at about 65% (VAT and duty) imagine that on your weekly shopping bill. There would be an out cry.

Holy cow, you work in the haulage industry.

4th January 2008 - Prelim sent

16th January 2008 - Standard reply - NO!

***The only way to get organisations to listen is for people to do something about it together.***

Isn't that what I said.

Yes I do work in the industry. That is why I'm saying this. There are several haulage associations all trying to do something about fuel duty, congestion charging. emmission zone charges etc the list goes on....

The major associations are talking to each other to join forces to have more 'clout' There is a lot going on behind the scenes. Transaction 2007 have decided to go off on their own.

I feel very strongly about these issues as I am currently being forced into closing my business down as our company cannot operate under all these charges. We are based up north but do a lot of work in London. From February it would cost £224 per day extra for each of our lorries to enter central London. I may not be expressing myself properly in my posts but I do feel passionatly that we need to stand together to be heard.

I do support the protests, I have signed all the petitions and I will be lending my support next time. As for Cag. yes it started small but more people have joined making it stronger. Together we can shout louder!

My only point is that people should stop moaning and get onto the government. Whatever your thoughts are on our european cousins you dont see the french or spanish getting greased up like this. We are a nation of whining sheep with nothing but bureaucratic red tape and bull***t from a government who never listens to its voters. We pay these things (bank charges, fuel tax etc etc etc) make posts and even on here the only concern is how they are going to get to Birmingham. That to me is poor.

To be honest from what I can gather (i am in finance not haulage) it seems as though "the big boys" eg RHA dont want to upset the government. Something to do with Rebates being negotiated (bloody politics). They wont stick their neck out. If its going to cost you £224 per day per wagon thats crazy money and something needs to be done. Maybe Transaction2007 will do this by bringing everyone to the table.

4th January 2008 - Prelim sent

16th January 2008 - Standard reply - NO!

My dad has a good idea for this. Everyone should boycott one particular oil company ie esso, shell etc., You would see them getting in touch with the government very quickly if their profits were hitting rock bottom. Dont agree with my dad very often but on this one I do!!!!!

Gemspan

My dad has a good idea for this. Everyone should boycott one particular oil company ie esso, shell etc., You would see them getting in touch with the government very quickly if their profits were hitting rock bottom. Dont agree with my dad very often but on this one I do!!!!!

Gemspan

I think your dad is right, all it would take is if all motorists just filled up at the local supermarket pumps for the next 2 weeks there will be an outcry by the big suppliers.

Perhaps this would be a better move than the blockades and at least the Goverment can't outlaw such moves.

Gemspan

Didn't they call for this a couple of years ago when BP upped their prices?

If I remember rightly they called for just one day of boycot of BP stations, but typical UK apathy meant it came to nothing.

What is wrong with the people of this country? As someone said earlier, they whinge but never follow it up with protests, that tells the government that everyone is ok with the amount of tax paid, so they need not reduce the tax.

I completely agree. You often hear people moaning about this and that (my dad being one of them!!!! LOL) but they never do anything about it. My parents would have been happy to let the bank rip them off for £££££s until I actually worked out what they have taken from them and I did all the work for them too to get the money back!

I think most people want other folks to do the work so that they can reap the rewards. Its such a shame because, until people start to do something this will get worse!!!

Gemspan