Fuel protest

nat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Nat, I work in the road haulage industry. Normally if anything is going to happen the grapevine goes to overload. I've made a few calls and nobody seems to know anything. There was talk of something in January but this is to do with the new emmissions charge in London. So this is the first i've heard of this (I'm in the North West)

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I've been on the Road Haulage Association website. They have put out a statement about Transaction 2007:

'Transaction 2007' - RHA Statement

The Road Haulage Association feels it necessary to make a number of urgent points concerning the Association and the pressure group calling itself “Transaction 2007”.

The RHA is not “in Association with” the pressure group, although this assertion is made on its website. The expressions used such as “RHA/Transaction 2007 members” are highly misleading, implying a relationship which does not exist.

The RHA has never been involved in negotiations with “Transaction 2007” but has, as a matter of courtesy, held discussions with RHA members who are also part of the pressure group.

The RHA will always support members who wish to protest legally where members have expressed that wish through the RHA regional organisation.

Comments within “Transaction 2007” suggesting that legal and peaceful protests would produce no results and that more direct action should be taken are unacceptable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have searched the site and there is nothing to suggest that the RHA is involved with arranging for it's members to protest this Saturday. I believe this is just a small group of people going ahead with this without the back up or support of the large haulage associations. As I have said in another thread. Unless all the organisations get togeather and act as one, the Government will not pay much attention.

Appears that Saturday 15th December 2007 at 10:00am is the day of action. The above link provides futher details

Did anyone else 'Blink' and missed the protest. A bit of a damp squib if you ask me. I've said it before the only way to be listened to is if all the organisations act together. One small group acting on their own won't have that much impact.:(

"Did anyone else 'Blink' and missed the protest. A bit of a damp squib if you ask me. I've said it before the only way to be listened to is if all the organisations act together. One small group acting on their own won't have that much impact.:sad:"

Same old, Same old. People are always quick to criticise. Maybe you should of registered your support. I bet when CAG set up they said the same thing. Now look.

The only way to get organisations to listen is for people to do something about it together. I didnt go and protest as no where to protest near me. I felt bad.

This needs to become a major issue. The tax on fuel is running at about 65% (VAT and duty) imagine that on your weekly shopping bill. There would be an out cry.

Holy cow, you work in the haulage industry.

4th January 2008 - Prelim sent

16th January 2008 - Standard reply - NO!

***The only way to get organisations to listen is for people to do something about it together.***

Isn't that what I said.

Yes I do work in the industry. That is why I'm saying this. There are several haulage associations all trying to do something about fuel duty, congestion charging. emmission zone charges etc the list goes on....

The major associations are talking to each other to join forces to have more 'clout' There is a lot going on behind the scenes. Transaction 2007 have decided to go off on their own.

I feel very strongly about these issues as I am currently being forced into closing my business down as our company cannot operate under all these charges. We are based up north but do a lot of work in London. From February it would cost £224 per day extra for each of our lorries to enter central London. I may not be expressing myself properly in my posts but I do feel passionatly that we need to stand together to be heard.

I do support the protests, I have signed all the petitions and I will be lending my support next time. As for Cag. yes it started small but more people have joined making it stronger. Together we can shout louder!

My only point is that people should stop moaning and get onto the government. Whatever your thoughts are on our european cousins you dont see the french or spanish getting greased up like this. We are a nation of whining sheep with nothing but bureaucratic red tape and bull***t from a government who never listens to its voters. We pay these things (bank charges, fuel tax etc etc etc) make posts and even on here the only concern is how they are going to get to Birmingham. That to me is poor.

To be honest from what I can gather (i am in finance not haulage) it seems as though "the big boys" eg RHA dont want to upset the government. Something to do with Rebates being negotiated (bloody politics). They wont stick their neck out. If its going to cost you £224 per day per wagon thats crazy money and something needs to be done. Maybe Transaction2007 will do this by bringing everyone to the table.

4th January 2008 - Prelim sent

16th January 2008 - Standard reply - NO!

My dad has a good idea for this. Everyone should boycott one particular oil company ie esso, shell etc., You would see them getting in touch with the government very quickly if their profits were hitting rock bottom. Dont agree with my dad very often but on this one I do!!!!!

Gemspan

My dad has a good idea for this. Everyone should boycott one particular oil company ie esso, shell etc., You would see them getting in touch with the government very quickly if their profits were hitting rock bottom. Dont agree with my dad very often but on this one I do!!!!!

Gemspan

I think your dad is right, all it would take is if all motorists just filled up at the local supermarket pumps for the next 2 weeks there will be an outcry by the big suppliers.

Perhaps this would be a better move than the blockades and at least the Goverment can't outlaw such moves.

Gemspan

Didn't they call for this a couple of years ago when BP upped their prices?

If I remember rightly they called for just one day of boycot of BP stations, but typical UK apathy meant it came to nothing.

What is wrong with the people of this country? As someone said earlier, they whinge but never follow it up with protests, that tells the government that everyone is ok with the amount of tax paid, so they need not reduce the tax.

I completely agree. You often hear people moaning about this and that (my dad being one of them!!!! LOL) but they never do anything about it. My parents would have been happy to let the bank rip them off for £££££s until I actually worked out what they have taken from them and I did all the work for them too to get the money back!

I think most people want other folks to do the work so that they can reap the rewards. Its such a shame because, until people start to do something this will get worse!!!

Gemspan