Raising credit card charges

deb4tlj

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a credit card with Alliance and Leicester and when I took it out the interest was charged at 11.9%. I received a letter the other day stating that the interest would now be charged at 24.9%! Can they do this? I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place.

"Never annoy a redhead - especially when she's a member of CAG!"

No, there was no special offers on the account when I opened it. However, through oversight last month, I went over my credit limit by £9.00! I paid the amount over the phone by debit card and next day received a letter about the interest rate rise! :(

I know some of the credit card companes have started introducing stepped interest rates depending on how 'good' a customer has been. They did this around the time when OFT forced them to drop the charges to £12.

It might be worth seeking out a new card which offers good rates for balance transfers.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have recieved a similar letter, I have had the card about 10 years, its just a simple card with no 30 day free period etc. just a low interest rate. I've had a couple of letters in the past which have stated the monthly interest rate was going up but did'nt really pay much attention to them.

I seem to remember the monthly rate was about 1.09% or similar in the past however the letter I have just recieved states a monthly rate of 2.0751% on all purchases/transfers etc. It also states an APR of 27.9%.

How can they just put up the rate as much as that. I'm sure it was about 14% APR last month. Store cards are cheaper than that.

Just phoned them whilst writing this and was told card was 12.4%, in august it went up to 24% then this month 27.9%, told them I would be paying the ballance off (£1500) in the next few minutes and the rate was immediatley dropped to 17.9%. Still not good enough though so its still getting binned. I really do feel sorry for people that dont understand this jargon, the must be getting done over left right and centre.

Makes you sick, doesn't it? I'm adamant the raise in interest charges is some sort of penalty for going overlimit! I'm currently shopping around for a better card with no interest for a few months so I can get as much paid off as possible - in the meantime I've CCA'd A&L and I might just stick it to them for all the charges!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Well I'm well under my limit, have been for a while, apart from about 3 years ago when I got a good few over limit charges of 20 odd pounds, time for a claim me thinks, they should have been happy with what I was paying in interest.