• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

CitiFinancial Loan (Nightmare!)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm new to the group and thought it about time I started to contribute to the threads here. I'm so impressed with the knowledge offered so here's a nice case to contemplate. The basics are all here but a bit lacking of all the information. I've decided to take this further and help on the subject will be well appreciated and welcome.

Back in 2003 I started a loan and the payments were 48 @ 210.50 (give or take a few pence) a month. In 2004 I called them having never missed a payment and was welcomed to one of their branches. I wanted to reduce the payments and APR (from 41%+). The manager sat me down and came up with a result of 'you do not have enough income to have the payments reduced but don't worry'. Ahem, I need to have more disposable income to have the thing reduced!!?? Anyhow he verbally agreed I could educe the payments to £150 a month (from memory for 3 months). 'Leave it all with us', he said and I know I contacted them again but they'd not finalised anything. After the 3/4 months I began paying £200 a month. I never heard another peep out of them till February 2007 when the 4 year loan period would expire. I'd add here that the branch manager was suggesting an under 30% APR but alas none of the team there remain.

Through the letter box arrived a statement showing a 'penalty' charge of £10 every month since late 2004. I almost fainted and called them. No one new anything initially about the statement and the phone number referred to their mortgage department. There were then a few heated verbal exchanges and they said 'pay us £1200 and we'll mark it as paid. I did not have the funds and subsequenly checked both main CRA's and amazingly saw I'd bee marked as 4+ overdue payments numerous times. The replies were always curt with 'Listen you signed an agreement and we don't change agreements!' I'd also had the vain threats about agents decending on me soon added to these remarks.

I then wrote notes the each of the two CRA's and to the 1st Citi agreed to no show $+ overdue payments but the 2nd needed to have a copy of the 1st's letter to forward to 'force' them to agree. However even though this was done prior to this date all the 4+ remained there.

Things went a bit cold and a lesson for everyone is that they are 'slim' on written communication for sure. In JUne I received a letter advising me that a default notce was imminent but I assumed (wrongly) this was one of their 'tactics'. I'd now also made a written complaint in May which (unsurprisingly) was not upheld. On speaking I was told that they seldom are and that nothing would change. I'd add here that the reply to someone else's complaint was also in the envelope that arrived!!

Let's move forward to the last week when I got a call from their collections department aka 'Capital Collections'. The gentleman told me I still owed £759.00 (remember in February it was £1200) and I'd been paying £200 a month without fail. Initially he claimed I was being aggressive then hearing the story started to run history off to me. They have, he said notes about a new agreement but no details of what it was. He also said they 'do' make many new agreements which totally contradicted what I'd previously been told.

They, however consider it totally 'my' fault that they have notes of being unable to get an answer on the phone. Remember this company phone with 'witheld' numbers and never leave ansaphone messages so how would I possibly know who to call back. Their subsequent failure to mail me ever is also 'my problem'. In my chat he confirmed a default notice 'was' issued on 30th June to my astonishment and in fact is the only current thing that has caused me credit application failures!

But to my surprise he promised to have a look a things and get back to me. He called back and said I no longer owed them anything and I'd receive a letter to that effect with 21-28 days. On me enquiring about the default notice and prior inaccurate CRA entries he retorted with, 'Well they won't be changed as they are fact'. I replied with they've left me no option but to go to County Court over all this. The reply was 'do what you want, it's your choice'.

So I'm assuming my next course is to get a get a S.A.R. Then follow that up with a County Court claim for (albeit verbally) agreed alterations to the agreement plus the removal of all the incorrect CRA data? Any imput and suggestions would be very welcome. I certainly have no intention of a 6 year default notice remaining for sure. My experiences with this 'shambles' of a 2nd level lender have been really a nightmare without the slightest regard for their IMHO 'fleeced' customer base.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Similar problems with Citi. I did a SAR back in March and the computer sheets didn't show any £10.00 per month for late payments but I knew by the balance that something was going on. I kept asking for a statement one never arrived, so I did a Letter Before Action and they then sent the statement for the current loan which showed a debit of £10.00 every month for late payment. Letters have gone backforwards and forwards from March to June when I received a letter saying that they weren't in a position to answer my complaint but that they would deal with this asap. Heard absolutely nothing, I've made no payments for months, then out of the blue I had a call from HFO, they had sold the debt. Now why would they want to sell a debt for a loan that I only made six payments on?

I certainly would go for a SAR asap and make sure you get everything and go through it with a fine tooth comb.

I will be interested to see how this turns out.

Forgot to say the contact details are

Mr Michael Cleugh

Data Protection Officer

Citifinancial Europe plc

2 Victory Way

Doxford International Business Park

Sunderland

SR3 3XL

Send either Recorded or Special Delivery (SD is £4.30 but well worth it).

Thanks for that - will do in on 21st Dec. ....

I should have added that they have now become 'cunning'. The original statement showed the £10 per month additional 'fines' BUT from May they are no longer shown but incorporated. I'm suspecting they have begun to do this to maybe circumvent any reference in January from the expected OFT test case. It's rather sad when you start to detect financial institutions are not to be trusted!

Another thing that kind of concerned me was a lady (the only understanding one I add) at CitiFinancial telling me 'we could help'. She said, 'hang on a minute'. She came back to me and said, 'Oh sorry that's too late now'. Like they could have communicated with me to say the least. I had asked on every discussion, 'How can we settle this?' to be replied with the comment given in my original post.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

I personally don't think its anything to do with the test case. Ever since my problems started with them in January and I did the SAR in March I have had a very uneasy feeling about how much I've been ripped off for. I have really scruitinised their paperwork and other than the fact that I think the refinancing figures are high I can't see it. Its also very strange that they sold this debt so quick and removed it from the CRA's.

Apart from the current loan there was mention of the £10 charges. I've paid exactly the same now for 3 years and the charging is only shown from August last year.

When you do get your papers make sure you get everything and keep writing back telling they haven't complied. 3 letters before they complied with me.

good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

You know CitiFinancial have a very 'blaise' manner with them. I suspect their employees are really 'rejects' from main line banking organisations. That's not supposed to be a dig but as I perceive them. They are allowed to speak to you as if you are a criminal when all you are doing is asking for information. I'm sure Citi watch this forum but alas it probably makes no difference to them. That are IMHO a company to stay clear of for sure.

Michael

Sorry - informedsearcher - long story - hard to read.

Are you saying that there are charges on this that you think are unfair and you want to clainm back?

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Are you saying that there are charges on this that you think are unfair and you want to clainm back?

Yes exactly and I want them to show how they can make an arrangement (back in 2004) but have no data about it, but they know it happened. How they have charged me £10 (penalty) each month but never told me for almost three (!) years because I paid £10.51 less than the agreed amount. My other point is that of them issuing a default notice at the end of June which (one of the very few snail mails I got) was indicated by a 'threat' notice. It was only in a conversation I had at the beginging of December that it came to light.

Any suggestions and help on this would be truly appreciated!! :-)

Michael

hi Michael,

I appreciate the SAR request would give you all info regarding this debt and all notes etc, but often they miss the agreement...

I would ensure you include an extra paragraph specifing that you want a copy of the original signed agreement. The debt is 3-4 years old right? From my recent experience it appears the banks are not too hot on keeping their records properly and if they have not got that well they can simply forget chasing you for the money you owe them...

It is upto you, but you may actually want to send it as a seperate request and it also gets a response quicker as well 12 days + 2 for a default by them and them a further 30 days for a criminal offence by them...Turn the tables a bit. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html letter N if I remember correctly. Recorded delivery and do not sign the letter, merely print your name.

Good luck,

Penfold

• 2 weeks later...

Yes LOL (sorry short reply) - This is like a verbally agreed item which they know about BUT do not know the details about - amazing.

Michael

Okay Update - even more amazing!

The credit file with CitiFinancial on the CRA (Experian) - are you all ready for this one??!! It has vanished! I mean pure and simple it no longer exists!

My original (before being rearranged) loan in 2003 is there with green zeros but bugger all else. Basically at this point of time Experian has no data on me from CitiFianncial from 2003 to date!

Now the plot really thickens eh?

Michael

I would assume that they have now sold this on. In my case whilst in dispute they sold to HFO. They should notify you about this, although they never notified me.

Citi are not responding to any letters and HFO have gone quiet since my last letter to them.

Did you send off your SAR? if so, you should wait 30 days and see what happens then send them a reminder that they have 10 days left in which to furnish you with the required info.

I am slightly bemused by Citi's behaviour of late, I'm not sure what they are playing at but something does not seem right to me.

I would assume that they have now sold this on. In my case whilst in dispute they sold to HFO. They should notify you about this, although they never notified me.

Citi are not responding to any letters and HFO have gone quiet since my last letter to them.

Did you send off your S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)? if so, you should wait 30 days and see what happens then send them a reminder that they have 10 days left in which to furnish you with the required info.

I am slightly bemused by Citi's behaviour of late, I'm not sure what they are playing at but something does not seem right to me.

My personal view is that they notice they have made a mistake but have a policy of 'never' admitting it. They then attempt to backtrack to 'surprise' you and gain your confidence. I have another dispute with NatWest over a default notice on a credit card (in another thread). The lady told me on the phone within the last week that as the CRA entry was made in 2001 the disclosure was no longer relevant. I replied by saying why does it say 2003 and it's there?! There was a pause with her replying she'd made a mistake and to ignore her previous comments. When I said this is sad that I'd therefore have to pursue it through the county court the conversation ended abruptly. So this is now 2 S.A.R.'s to send and rather irritating.

In the case of Citi I got the confirmation letter today that the account was now fully paid up. They in fact transferred the account their in house 'Capital Collections' ages ago. My real annotance here is that the man having finally listened to what I had to say was still un-apologetic 'but' said the default notice still remains. Having not seen it on Experian makes me wonder now!

Michael

• 1 month later...

Update: I was quite surprised CitiFinancial returned my S.A.R. and PO with a form to fill in. A form I might add that has such a small box for data requests it's untrue! This is not in the spirit of even the FSA who have a suggested letter to send (but I don't really have much faith in BTW).

Michael

• 1 year later...

Did you ever receive your SAR from these ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Did you ever receive your SAR from these ?

Actually I did not. It transpires only recently that after many months dealing with the FLA (who are totally biased!) that there was no help.

I suppose I'll really have to do one and look again. For anyone CF is a company to be avoided IMHO as they uphold no appeals, mess people around (even including the FLA) and are disinterested.

My main concern is that have erronious CRA entries and have managed to 'dodge' removing them.

Michael

Yes, I had heard they were in a class of their own;) Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D