BoS/Halifax harrassment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5977 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

This is a rather complicated issue I have here, and I'd like some help. I'll keep it as brief as possible!

I have a Bank of Scotland credit card. After a long legal struggle, I finally managed to claim back the full amount of a disputed purchase from 2005. I pursued the retailer directly at the request of BoS, even though I knew I could have pursued BoS - this was in the interests of maintaining a good relationship with them.

Anyway, I then wrote to BoS and asked them to refund the interest paid on that purchase - nearly 1500 quid. They said no. This is now in dispute with the Financial Ombudsman Service.

I moved abroad during all this. My intention was to close the card, but I couldn't afford to pay it off - if the 1500 quid was off the balance I could have. BoS refused to 'freeze' the account, or even part of it, and now the card is above the limit and the payments are more than I can afford. The situation sucks.

Now they're hassling by phone. I wrote to them several months ago and asked them to do everything in writing, and the phone calls continue. The worst part is that because of the time difference, they happen at really bad hours - normally between 1am and 6am. What should I do now? I really want them to stop charging interest and overlimit fees on the balance, or at least on the disputed amount. My fear is that if the FOS come back and say they did the right thing, I'm stuck with a whole load more debt than need be.

If this helps any, I have Vonage and so they are calling a UK number, even though I answer abroad. They have my current address abroad.

edinburghbeerbucket :D

Surely HBoS could see the credit and put 2 and 2 together.

As you had contacted them about it at the time you persued the retailer, they can't argue that this wasn't in dispute.

Sounds like you need the telephone harassment letter. Point out that the time difference means that they have broken OFT rules. Also write to remind them that the account is in dispute with them & the FOS and that all interest should have been frozen some time ago.

Not sure what to do next though. Maybe a CCA and a SAR as well to get all of the information that you can

Grumpy

Surely HBoS could see the credit and put 2 and 2 together.

You'd think so! Typical inside-the-box thinking from their customer service dept, though.

Also write to remind them that the account is in dispute with them & the FOS and that all interest should have been frozen some time ago.

This is kind of what I said to them last time, but they wrote back and said they're not required to freeze anything, and that until the FOS made their decision they'd keep charging interest (and late fees, and overlimit fees, etc etc).

I'll get on the telephone harassment letter tonight.

Thanks so much for replying - I already feel a little better about it. Calls from their debt collection department really shake me up.

edinburghbeerbucket :D

I'll get on the telephone harassment letter tonight.

Template here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/37006-harassment-telephone-response-letter.html Send recorded delivery. Keep a log of any future calls. Have you made an official complaint regarding this matter? I think you need to update the FOS on the current situation perhaps get Trading Standards involved too.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.