ANOTHER Dispute with 3 over valid cancellation

andyswift

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5038 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry to drag up an old dispute but I'm having similar problems with 3.

I spoke to 3 in March 2005 to change my address and give 30 days notice to cancel the agreement. They advised me to put this in writing which I did. ( One of their customer service advisors has since confirmed that both of these letters are on file) At the same time I sent off my 30 days notice I contacted my bank and advised them that the direct debit was to be cancelled from June, thus giving plenty of time for any carryover etc. This was the last I heard about my contract with 3 up until about a month ago. I have been contacted by a collection agency wanting £160 in unpaid bills. I spoke to 3 regarding this and they say it is monthly payment for Jun - Oct 2005. All these bills were sent to my old address despite the fact they have my change of address letter on record. 3 apparently left a message on the mobile number in regards to my cancellation but I never received this as I was no longer using the phone. They never made any attempt to contact me on the daytime telephone number I provided them with when I set up the contract. I have spoken to customer services many times now regarding this and keep getting the same answer, they could not accept my letter as it did not comply with data protection (?) but nobody at 3 can tell me why it didn't comply. In the T&C's it says I have to give 30days notice to cancel my agreement, which I did. I am hitting brick walls with them and their (lack of...)customer service call centres.

Can anybody advise me ???

Many thanks

Andy

Hi Andy and welcome aboard.

They certainly know how to handle an easy situation badly, don't they?

I would send a copy of a letter to both Three and the debt collection agency now dealing with this imaginary debt, outline all the points you have raised above (especially helpful if you can provide dates, even approx, names of people you spoke to and most certainly copies of any correspondence you have already sent or received.

Don't deal with either on the phone unless you have recording facilities.

You need to state that you are officially disputing the debt.

I think you might find it easier to word it as a complaint against Three for unnecessary harassment, perhaps in the hope that the complaints' procedure will result in a written response.

If either parties attempt to call you about this letter, stop them in their tracks and say you will only communicate via letter.

Should the muppets try and move the matter onwards and threaten court action for the debt, rest assured that, from what you have told us above, you would certainly be extremely unlucky not to stuff them out of sight.

It might also be worth checking your credit files now if you haven't done so already - if they have left "Late Payment" markers on your files, or worse, than these need to be addressed too.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Just to keep you fully up to date:

After I posted on here I read through a lot more posts about 3 and HFO and realised that I'm not the only one having problems.

I spoke to Consumer Direct a few weeks ago and they advised me to write a letter to HFO regarding the Admin of Justice Act, I only received one more phine call off them after this, told them sternly to stop contacting me by phone and haven't heard anything off them since (not sure if this is a good or bad sign yet ) CD also advised me to write to 3 explaining what had happened. I received many calls off 3 after this all giving me the same vague answers etc and nobody could give me a proper reason why my cancellation letter was not accepted (apparenty it didn't comply with data protection but nobody can tell me why). During every phone call I asked for an explination in writing and I am still waiting. The one letter I did get from 3 apologises for the difficulties I am having and says they were unable to contact me by phone to discuss it further (??? I've spoken to the no less than 7 times !) and I should only contact HFO from now on.

This afternoon I contacted CD again to see if there was anything else I could do and they have now passed this to Trading Standards who contacted me shortly afterwards to request copies of the letters that have been sent and received.

I went on to the Experian website to check my credit file, this had no mention of 3 or HFO (I only checked the free one though, should I pay to see the full report ?)

I'll post on here again if I have any updates, big thanks to those who have already replied and helped.

Andy